• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/Long Range Disco 3: The great recovery or shut the blinds?

psuhoffman

17 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Time for optimism folks.  We've been all run down.  No more.  It's time to rope a good 3 to 6 or 2 to 4.   We gotta take what we can get and when we can get it.   Remember Alberta Clippers?  The only time we'll see one now is on the back of a milk carton.  The ramblings of a desperate man.

Don’t you miss the old days? Tracking epic squalls w matt(?) in Davis, dc getting major snowstorms, etc. Everyone on here was happier those days.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Time for optimism folks.  We've been all run down.  No more.  It's time to rope a good 3 to 6 or 2 to 4.   We gotta take what we can get and when we can get it.   Remember Alberta Clippers?  The only time we'll see one now is on the back of a milk carton.  The ramblings of a desperate man.

Are you drunk?  Alberta clippers have been extinct from least 2008.  More likely to see a woolly Mammoth than a 3-6" event around here.  

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Don’t you miss the old days? Tracking epic squalls w matt(?) in Davis, dc getting major snowstorms, etc. Everyone on here was happier those days.

2013-14 and 14-15, and tracking the one big storm in 2016- that period was overall the best on here imo. Plenty of tracking that actually yielded results, the poetry thread, and Jebman's epic rants. Good times.

• Like 7

Are you drunk?  Alberta clippers have been extinct from least 2008.  More likely to see a woolly Mammoth than a 3-6" event around here.  

Not actually true. 2/9/10 (storm #2 of snowmaggedon) was an Alberta clipper which reintensified off the NJ coast. But who’s counting

I very much miss the days of Alberta clippers. We used to get a solid amount of snow each year from them in the lower Hudson valley in NY. Each season, you’d usually see one or two blow up off the jersey / LI coast. Many would jackpot eastern Long Island to cape cod, but every so often we’d get a solid 4-8” jack just north of NYC if it bombed out in time.

Just now, jayyy said:

Not actually true. 2/9/10 (storm #2 of snowmaggedon) was an Alberta clipper which reintensified off the NJ coast. But who’s counting emoji23.png

That storm was wicked here. All out blizzard. Was difficult to measure, plus falling on top of what was still otg. Once in a lifetime winter.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

That storm was wicked here. All out blizzard. Was difficult to measure, plus falling on top of what was still otg. Once in a lifetime winter.

I don’t even care that places just NE of here did better than this area - those blizzard conditions and a foot of snow were awesome (on top of what had just fallen).  What a stretch from the ‘surprise’ event that trended north a few days before to the back to back big storms.  

We’re due for a big KU coastal event soon (whether next year or not).

• Like 4

Gotta love seeing all of that flattening and confluence in New England popping up on ensembles the last few days. Seen a pretty epic shift in our direction over the past 48 hours. As PSU said, show me that same look at 0z Friday (Thursday night’s runs) and my interest will skyrocket.

• Like 1

Storm #2 was the bigger storm for my area being up near NYC. Def one of my favorite storms from my time up in NY, alongside the 96 blizzard and PD 1&2.

We all remember the 2/5 and 2/9 back to back storms, but many forget that we actually got hit by 3 nor’easters within a 15 day window and 4 for the season. EPIC winter. 2000-2010 was an incredible decade for the DC - BOS corridor.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CAPE said:

2013-14 and 14-15, and tracking the one big storm in 2016- that period was overall the best on here imo. Plenty of tracking that actually yielded results, the poetry thread, and Jebman's epic rants. Good times.

Recently I went through all my records to create a monthly snow table. It struck me how rare long stretches of total shutouts used to be prior to 2017 up here. Even winters we remember as sucky were filled with constant 1-3” events up here or at the least a ton of .5 type stuff.  I think a lot of those smaller snows were clippers. On the other end 6”+ event frequency up here is actually up compared to 30 years ago but we go long stretches with no snow during winter which used to be rare. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

How easy you forget how depressed everyone was between Jan 2011 and Dec 2013. That was a long stretch without a snowstorm in DC. At the time people talked about it as an all time low point.  Hindsight and all lol. 

Oh I remember just how awful winter 2011-12 was! And almost nothing in 2012-13. We got skunked with white rain from an early March 2013 event when we expected a lot more. But we actually did get a decent amount early on Mar 25, 2013 (my birthday!) as some consolation. 

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

How easy you forget how depressed everyone was between Jan 2011 and Dec 2013. That was a long stretch without a snowstorm in DC. At the time people talked about it as an all time low point.  Hindsight and all lol. 

I think March 5th 2013 was one of the ultimate lows that this region has endured in terms of winter snowfall. I gave those old storm threads a read a while back to see what went wrong, and that storm bust looks like one of the first times you and others had opened a discussion about us losing margins on snowfalls that involved airmasses that might've worked a decade or two prior to it. Considering that the high temperature had topped out in 50s all the way in Saranac Lake, NY on March 4th.. yeah that was not a favorable airmass, even in March climo lol. I suppose details like that were just lost in the moment of insane snow outputs. But of course that was the beginning of the end of that historic snow drought, and 10 years later.. here we are 

ecf9e659134de171eb17bdf74552f7d2.thumb.png.1bfa05f01f22d51d6f44b3fa1770814f.png

It is actually crazy how relevant this post is a decade later. You, Bob, and others definitely called it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

09/10 was just an epic winter.  Philly was a great spot to be in for that, we got something from every storm.  Although, 95/96 still might be the best for me.  The Blizzard of 96 is still the king.

For me nothing will top 09/10--particularly the twins because of just how frickin' rare and unprecedented (in modern times, at least) that was! I mean wow

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I think March 5th 2013 was one of the ultimate lows that this region has endured in terms of winter snowfall. I gave those old storm threads a read a while back to see what went wrong, and that storm bust looks like one of the first times you and others had opened a discussion about us losing margins on snowfalls that involved airmasses that might've worked a decade or two prior to it. Considering that the high temperature had topped out in 50s all the way in Saranac Lake, NY on March 4th.. yeah that was not a favorable airmass, even in March climo lol. I suppose details like that were just lost in the moment of insane snow outputs. But of course that was the beginning of the end of that historic snow drought, and 10 years later.. here we are 

ecf9e659134de171eb17bdf74552f7d2.thumb.png.1bfa05f01f22d51d6f44b3fa1770814f.png

It is actually crazy how relevant this post is a decade later. You, Bob, and others definitely called it.

Good pull but let’s PLEASE not go down this path again in this thread

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, IronTy said:

2014 and 2015 featured many clipper systems.  Some of them producing really good snowfalls for our region.  A lot of people forget that January 2015 featured some of the coldest temperatures our region has experienced in recorded history.