• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/Long Range Disco 3: The great recovery or shut the blinds?

psuhoffman

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Sigh.  ICON.  We know it's shit, but we still get excited by it.  I'm with WxUSAF/PSU....I don't think that one is the one.  ICON is a mirage at this point.

I ain't even been paying it much attention...I'm tracking the pattern change more than anything else. I mean if this one surprises, great! But otherwise...eh on the ensembles, lol

16 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Kaiser starts off 12z well. Key to a coastal track seems to be a more northern stream dominated shortwave as 6z gfs and 12z icon show.

I think the GFS was doing the same general evolution but with the next wave middle of next week.  But the concept applies to all these waves.  Either way this was a HUGE shift for a relatively short lead time so lets see if the other 12z guidance picks up on it or if its just a hiccup run of a JV model.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, anotherman said:

That looks awesome.  Wish it wasn't the ICON, or the GFS, or the....

Wish it was a radar not any model 

6 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Sigh.  ICON.  We know it's shit, but we still get excited by it.  I'm with WxUSAF/PSU....I don't think that one is the one.  ICON is a mirage at this point.

Yea but on the other hand if we're trying to have some hope the ICON still has better scores than anything that existed 10-20 years ago...its just crap compared to the newest upgraded globals (or GFS before it recently went haywire).  But this is the first run of the 12z globals and its at a range where its not impossible that if something shifted the ICON could pick up on it.  Doubt it but crazier things have happened.  Lets see in a few mins if the GFS and CMC are feeling any of the ICON vibes.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I think the GFS was doing the same general evolution but with the next wave middle of next week.  But the concept applies to all these waves.  Either way this was a HUGE shift for a relatively short lead time so lets see if the other 12z guidance picks up on it or if its just a hiccup run of a JV model.  

Yeah, pretty big shift. Don’t think I’ve seen substantial digital blue for us within 100 hours yet this winter before today  lol. 

• Like 1

The main change on the ICON is around hour 72 as the system is in the formative stages in the plains its a lot weaker and a little faster this run.  That tightens the wave spacing some which helps...the NS also doesn't dig as much as so the system is flatter and slides east more and then phases and develops from a further east location.  It's a rather significant change for only 72 hours...if its real the other guidance should see it this run I would think. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yeah, pretty big shift. Don’t think I’ve seen substantial digital blue for us within 100 hours yet this winter before today  lol. 

Which makes the bashing of models even more silly.  Was just thinking about that this morning...how there's been a lack of digital blue which matches very well with ground truth.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

So far, 12z GFS very similar to 6z

nope its still phasing with the NS out over OK.  That's game over for us.  We don't have a cold airmass in place so we can't survive any southerly flow ahead of the wave.  We need perfect timing which is what the ICON gave us... initially missing the phase, sliding east, then developing once the low was due south of us.  That is pretty much the only way this works out.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

nope its still phasing with the NS out over OK.  That's game over for us.  We don't have a cold airmass in place so we can't survive any southerly flow ahead of the wave.  We need perfect timing which is what the ICON gave us... initially missing the phase, sliding east, then developing once the low was due south of us.  That is pretty much the only way this works out.  

huh? I was saying they are similar