Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

34 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah, it's not like ensemble forecasting isn't the most powerful medium to long range forecasting tool we have

instead, we should use persistence and outdated MJO plots. i don't even know why I got a degree!

Remember when ensembles “didn’t make sense” because of MJO.  Me too

8 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

The thing is, with these kind of systems it sucks when SNE isn't in the game because many of you lose your enthusiasm.  But when SNE is in the game, then we often get fringed up here!

Depends...you can often catch deformation on some of the SNE biggies

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Man, I had fun trolling, but it does suck to see the rev so down and out 

Barely a coating for us in CT since Dec 11, that will do it to anyone. We’ve become angry, bitter, and pessimistic. Even an inch here and there would change the mood, get to fire up the snow blower, shoveling up some six inch driveway piles off an inch of snow while your neighbor lets it melt by noon goes a long way to warm the snow weenies winter heart. 

2864B3A4-CE36-438C-96B4-56AB91DD72D0.png

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Barely a coating for us in CT since Dec 11, that will do it to anyone. We’ve become angry, bitter, and pessimistic. Even an inch here and there would change the mood, get to fire up the snow blower, shoveling up some six inch driveway piles off an inch of snow while your neighbor lets it melt by noon goes a long way to warm the snow weenies winter heart. 

2864B3A4-CE36-438C-96B4-56AB91DD72D0.png

If we could just move that south 40-50 miles.

I'm not sure the track is as important with Monday ...

there is a defined lack of cold air..   The track is already doable.   In fact, the GEFs ensemble mean was tightly cluster along an ideal track, actually.

RAIN

sometimes there's just a lack of cold air.   Next -

That's what this looks like.   I keep reading NWS and posts on social media, discussing the track like it is the main sensitivity to where the snow axis is... 

WRONG

there some...sure.  But if it's 37/34 at Orange Massachusetts and nothing hanging around in CNE to help out...  it won't matter where the 'flatter solutions' track. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm not sure the track is as important with Monday ...

there is a defined lack of cold air..   The track is already doable.   In fact, the GEFs ensemble mean was tightly cluster along an ideal track, actually.

RAIN

sometimes there's just a lack of cold air.   Next -

That's what this looks like.   I keep reading NWS and posts on social media, discussing the track like it is the main sensitivity to where the snow axis is... 

WRONG

there some...sure.  But if it's 37/34 at Orange Massachusetts and nothing hanging around in CNE to help out...  it won't matter where the 'flatter solutions' track. 

It’s cold enough out ahead of that storm…even if not ideal. The biggest problem I see is the high is literally in the worst possible spot. We just get flooded during the WAA phase of the storm. Once winds finally back to northeast, we’re too mild for snow except over far interior zones where it remains just cold enough. 

Normally a 534 thickness -3C 850 antecedent airmass would work if we had any type of mechanism whatsoever to hold that in, but when the high is sliding southeast of ACK and out into the Atlantic, we’re cooked. The funny part is both the 18z NAM and HFS did try and flip us back to heavy snow at the end…not really buying that depiction but still entertaining. 

• Like 1

There's a frame of the GFS which shows promise … 1039 high over Quebec, 16 in Boston and -30 in NNE, a strong storm brewing over the SE of the CONUS getting ready to slide off the coast … I don't know what happens next because its in February and it's 384h … but it's an idea! (It's probably good it doesn't go out a few more hours because it would slide up to BUF or something.)

53 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s cold enough out ahead of that storm…even if not ideal. The biggest problem I see is the high is literally in the worst possible spot. We just get flooded during the WAA phase of the storm. Once winds finally back to northeast, we’re too mild for snow except over far interior zones where it remains just cold enough. 

Normally a 534 thickness -3C 850 antecedent airmass would work if we had any type of mechanism whatsoever to hold that in, but when the high is sliding southeast of ACK and out into the Atlantic, we’re cooked. The funny part is both the 18z NAM and HFS did try and flip us back to heavy snow at the end…not really buying that depiction but still entertaining. 

I was talking about Monday...  but, yeah... they're kinda twin events -

31 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I don’t recall winters in the 80s as being particularly rainy.   Cold and dry by my memory. 
I’ve probably buried those memories

Some years were frigid, until we got a storm, then it would rain and get frigid again after. Others were quite wet as I remember. Several storms that started as snow only to quickly change to pouring rain. And of course there was ALWAYS the good 'ol "rain changing to snow" Yeah right,  I only remember that happening once the whole decade 

• Like 2