Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

5 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

idk, the ensemble means look as good for snowfall as they have all winter, pretty much

this is quite impressive at this range. shows that modeling is beginning to pick up on events with a decent amount of agreement

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-ne-snow_168hr-5598400.thumb.png.bfae62b9933a3c5e904fbf585c32abc8.png

Way too far out, gotta see it within 7 days to believe it. Anything past that is a total crapshoot, the models will change a million times from now until then.

5 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

It does look good for that stretch this year lol just not as good as the 15 day that is skewed by two events that will probably be rain 

how do you know that they'll be rain though? the boundary could easily set up south towards the MA if there's a deep enough cold press from the TPV. this is what some of the ensemble members are presenting as a possibility

• Weenie 1

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

how do you know that they'll be rain though? the boundary could easily set up south towards the MA if there's a deep enough cold press from the TPV. this is what some of the ensemble members are presenting as a possibility

I’m talking about nyc metro and southern SNE areas for Monday and Wednesday storms. There’s a 2-4” mean there but consensus of now is rain or a quick slushy inch to rain. 

1 minute ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

I’m talking about nyc metro and southern SNE areas for Monday and Wednesday storms. There’s a 2-4” mean there but consensus of now is rain or a quick slushy inch to rain. 

Monday toast. Wednesday could be decent in the interior before any flip to rain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

We had a biggie on 2/9/17. 12-18" with TSSN. A couple of other ones on either side.

I remember that now great storm with a lot of thunder snow. I was live on air storm coverage and had to rush out as my wife passed out and was pregnant that was a wild ride on the Merritt. 

15 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

lol, it’s rain after rain after rain and honestly the cold behind the cutters is not impressive.  We are running +10 to +14 this month with no signs of any cold outside a day or two of slightly below normal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

lol, it’s rain after rain after rain and honestly the cold behind the cutters is not impressive.  We are running +10 to +14 this month with no signs of any cold outside a day or two of slightly below normal

give me an actual meteorological reason that you know that they'll be rain besides the fact that it's been warm so far this month

I never said they they would 100% be snow, or even that it's likely that they're snow

just that the TPV has a chance of pressing S and can deliver confluence ahead of a southern stream wave, leading to an overrunning event, and that's what the ensembles may be picking up on. not that crazy of an idea

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

One thing is, The 18z Nam is a bit flat for the 23rd @hr54.

The tic between 12z and 18z pretty sizeable.  The whole operation is more sheared, with the trough more positively tilted, we need one more like that...or does that make the damn thing too weak to draw the cold air?  No winning this year.

Just now, Go Kart Mozart said:

The tic between 12z and 18z pretty sizeable.  The whole operation is more sheared, with the trough more positively tilted, we need one more like that...or does that make the damn thing too weak to draw the cold air?  No winning this year.

It intensifies once it gets up here dropping 10mb in 12hrs once its in the GOM but it look to be colder at the surface and aloft ahead of it getting here too.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 9:29 PM, qg_omega said:

I hate the PAC SST anomalies and MOJ 8 and 1 were forecasted to be very strong and busted very badly.  

image.jpeg.fcf13367356b3668a121d4c4f8cf53d7.jpeg

I am very hesitant to go against the persistent trough in the west and any SSW may send the PV into the west coast.  I was at +8 for January (forecasted in early December) and while I may be too warm in a spot or two, overall it will be on point.  I don’t think that degree of warmth will sustain and I do see the possibility of transient cold shots.  However I don’t see the end to the cold out west, even if they get drier.  I would favor north of I90 for any SWFE snow event but each storm will have rain/snow lines and trend warm as we get closer.  March will likely end up the best shot but I hate March snow events.  Overall, a very frustrating east coast winter but historic west coast.

No changes, that is my reasoning.  You can look at my posts from November or December as well, nothing has change and nothing will change.  I already had this ensemble debate with you before, running a model at a low resolution 50 times is not what I would be using to forecast a very sharp gradient pattern, in fact its likely the worst tool you can use but by all means.

15 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

No changes, that is my reasoning.  You can look at my posts from November or December as well, nothing has change and nothing will change.  I already had this ensemble debate with you before, running a model at a low resolution 50 times is not what I would be using to forecast a very sharp gradient pattern, in fact its likely the worst tool you can use but by all means.

yeah, it's not like ensemble forecasting isn't the most powerful medium to long range forecasting tool we have

instead, we should use persistence and outdated MJO plots. i don't even know why I got a degree!

• Haha 4

good for CNE, and maybe western SNE?  From WPC snow discussion just out an hour ago:

..Northeast... Day 3... The previously noted upper low moving east of the central Rockies tonight is forecast to lift northeast and phase with a northern stream trough digging across the northern Plains and Upper Midwest on Saturday. This will result in a highly-amplified trough moving east of the Mississippi Valley Sunday evening. Surface low pressure is forecast to develop along the right-entrance region of a strong upper jet and track north and strengthen along the Mid Atlantic to Northeast coast Sunday night. Additional strengthening is expected as the low moves along the New England coast into Atlantic Canada on Monday. The potential for heavy snow with this system remains high, however confidence in its placement is still limited by model spread and run-to-run discontinuities. The general trend of the 12Z guidance was toward a more a more easterly track -- supporting lighter QPF and a lesser threat for heavy snow from western to far northern New York and far northern New England. At this point, even with the more easterly track this still appears to a mostly to all rain event for the I-95 corridor up through Boston. Probabilities for snow accumulations of 8 inches or more are currently highest from the Adirondacks through interior northern New England, however with the shifting track, anticipate some changes of this axis of higher probabilities as well