Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

Pretty impressive detailing too -

You can see a vicious tuck pulse correction in the 2-meter.  Flashes 33's to 27's between the Pike and Rt 2 having never flipped the ORH Hills to rain.  

That's a significant profile correction for the mid week system.    

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

So you don't feel late January and maybe very early February look more wintry?

He said there was no pattern change. I tried to engage a little bit a couple days ago when it briefly looked like he wanted to discuss in good faith…but that quickly went by the wayside.

Having the PV move down to Hudson Bay is something we haven’t seen for a month. There’s still western troughing, but there’s arctic air nearby now so we’ll have some chances. It prob goes to shit as we go deeper into February….I haven’t disagreed with that part, but that’s out in clown range for now. 

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

He said there was no pattern change. I tried to engage a little bit a couple days ago when it briefly looked like he wanted to discuss in good faith…but that quickly went by the wayside.

Having the PV move down to Hudson Bay is something we haven’t seen for a month. There’s still western troughing, but there’s arctic air nearby now so we’ll have some chances. It prob goes to shit as we go deeper into February….I haven’t disagreed with that part, but that’s out in clown range for now. 

Yea, I see Feb as going to shit, but initially it looks to me like the type of RNA we can work here. They can be very good for us and we are due for some snow. I'm not saying Feb 2015, but just getting on the board. 

9 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

We have a two week window before  we go back to where we were since December 28th

Okay, yes.

Totally fair. I just feel like it is important to also mention that in the January thread, as  opposed to skipping ahead to the return of the torch next month, which is away from the focus of the thread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Okay, yes.

Totally fair. I just feel like it is important to also mention that in the January thread, as  opposed to skipping ahead to the return of the torch next month, which is away from the focus of the thread.

The thing about qq is that I think he’s smart.  I really don’t understand a person wanting to act like a trill, but to each their own.

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Okay, yes.

We started the January thread on December 18.  Perhaps its time we started the February thread and we can put these conversations where they belong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mahk_webstah said:

The thing about qq is that I think he’s smart.  I really don’t understand a person wanting to act like a trill, but to each their own.

Yeah I don’t think he’s really a dumb troll. I initially thought that, but then I read more of his posts and he actually knows his shit. It seems like he genuinely likes warmer weather, like Torch Tiger. 

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Man…big changes incoming. Doesn’t mean Feb 15 but we’ll take it and not worry about mid Feb onward. LFG.

It’s just as possible that we get a -5 Feb with an eastern trough as that output on the super long range guidance is. The pattern shown on those long range ensembles is quite extreme so it makes sense to be skeptical. The truth is likely in the middle.

Not sure why there was so much voodoo. Nothing I saw showed a SSW other than the vortex getting pushed off the pole. 

Certain weenie mets ran with it on social media and weather enthusiasts who don’t know any better fell for all the hype. IMO they are doing a disservice to meteorology and the weather community in general by wishcasting and spreading misinformation. It’s a group of 4 mets (Joe Bastardi, Mark Margavage, Henry Margusity and Tony Pann) who are really bad and have big followings on twitter. Their followers retweet and spread their voodoo far and wide

Certain weenie mets ran with it on social media and weather enthusiasts who don’t know any better fell for all the hype. IMO they are doing a disservice to meteorology and the weather community in general by wishcasting and spreading misinformation. It’s a group of 4 mets (Joe Bastardi, Mark Margavage, Henry Margusity and Tony Pann) who are really bad and have big followings on twitter. Their followers retweet and spread their voodoo far and wide

Should have said 5 mets. Steve DiMartino was big into the SSWE hype for weeks too. But that’s not a surprise coming from him

2 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Was reading that the issue is mid level track; surface track is fine but mid levels get fried.  Could anything trend the ml better?

we often dry slot in those scenarios.

Main shortwave goes negative pretty far west. If that can be tamed just a bit then it would mean a lot more snow in the front end. There will still be plenty of snow up there on the front end but you may have a decent period of pingers/ZR too. 

3 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Was reading that the issue is mid level track; surface track is fine but mid levels get fried.  Could anything trend the ml better?

we often dry slot in those scenarios.

The low track isn’t great either. That is driven by the mid levels. There isn’t much of a secondary. 

You’ll get a net gain probably where you are.