• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

The ‘61 storm solidified the special winter status.  The big one 12/11-12/60 with a few more small events in between followed by the reload and 1/19/61 JFK inaugural storm. The intense cold for the next 2 weeks culminated by the biggest of all storms 2/3-4/61 gave us quite the pack!  But the February storm was the pattern changer and our 2 month glorious run was over.  About 5 days later we had an ice storm.  I was sure it would snow-after all that morning was 7 degrees and it stayed around 20 all day.  What did I know of mid levels!  Tamarack can give his perspective being in the same area roughly the same age.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Even with it being a marginal airmass, Its still showed some front end snow even with the just inland track before the winds turned SSE.

I think the high is retreating, so there will be some residual damming, a strong storm will have a good thump before the midlevels overheat, then maybe a slot that ends up glazing us before Wednesday (which kinda looks good eh?).  Also, who knows maybe there's a little more confluence than we see on Sunday.

• Like 1

Just now, mahk_webstah said:

I think the high is retreating, so there will be some residual damming, a strong storm will have a good thump before the midlevels overheat, then maybe a slot that ends up glazing us before Wednesday (which kinda looks good eh?).  Also, who knows maybe there's a little more confluence than we see on Sunday.

As far as the airmass goes, Just like the last 2 storms a week or so ago, If there's is any cold air around, It over performed here both times, But models didn't start to resolve that until we were getting inside 54hrs or so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The ‘61 storm solidified the special winter status.  The big one 12/11-12/60 with a few more small events in between followed by the reload and 1/19/61 JFK inaugural storm. The intense cold for the next 2 weeks culminated by the biggest of all storms 2/3-4/61 gave us quite the pack!  But the February storm was the pattern changer and our 2 month glorious run was over.  About 5 days later we had an ice storm.  I was sure it would snow-after all that morning was 7 degrees and it stayed around 20 all day.  What did I know of mid levels!  Tamarack can give his perspective being in the same area roughly the same age.

That sounds like an awesome stretch.  2 months of real winter is great, and actually having it break in February (if it gives an early spring) can be a nice bonus.  Sounds like a serious pack was built.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We’ll make a run at single digits until some rogue early spring storm ruins it and ruins spring activities. 

Its like a record low hurricane season that is ruined due to some naked swirl in the middle of the Atlantic, in November.....We will get ours, the end of March, that melts the next day....I think the amazing thing is I haven't even had to shovel. The snow that fell in December came after a warm up. The driveway melted most of the 2.7", the sun took care of the rest.

3 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Its like a record low hurricane season that is ruined due to some naked swirl in the middle of the Atlantic, in November.....We will get ours, the end of March, that melts the next day....I think the amazing thing is I haven't even had to shovel. The snow that fell in December came after a warm up. The driveway melted most of the 2.7", the sun took care of the rest.

I shoveled and salted after my 4 and change.

First time at my first home :weenie:

15 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

0.0 time shoveling so far. The bright side, money not spent on plow guy ripping up our private road and our personal driveway made of gravel. 

Euro got a lot snowier this run especially for the second threat. It does still change to rain eventually for a lot of us but there is much more front end now. If the other guidance starts trending towards an SWFE we might have to start talking about an area of sleet and ice south of the pike before the dry slot.

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, George001 said:

Euro got a lot snowier this run especially for the second threat. It does still change to rain eventually for a lot of us but there is much more front end now. If the other guidance starts trending towards an SWFE we might have to start talking about an area of sleet and ice south of the pike before the dry slot.

Sure going from a 1" to 2" front end dump then 50s and rain is a whole lot better.. 

• Like 1