Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

29 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

its cold behind a cutter....the trough will re-establish on the west coast.  No signs to suggest FEB will be anything but well above normal.

That's okay. We always have next year. I not really too worried because we'll have snow at some point. As much as I absolutely love the winter and snow, does not dictate life.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I feel like I have kept an open mind to the possibility that nothing will happen. 

I was almost speaking to the straw man ... in the off chance that there are those not clear on the concept LOL

I'm half out the door - admittedly ... if prematurely.

• Like 1

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

I was almost speaking to the straw man ... in the off chance that there are those not clear on the concept LOL

I'm half out the door - admittedly ... if prematurely.

Ya it’s premature(certainly for me), but it’s over I believe. Just one of those years. Can’t get a thing going here. Very disappointing to say the least. But If it’s gonna Rat, let’s make it an epic one…and stay well under 10” here. I think we can do that. 

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Ya it’s premature(certainly for me), but it’s over I believe. Just one of those years. Can’t get a thing going here. Very disappointing to say the least. But If it’s gonna Rat, let’s make it an epic one…and stay well under 10” here. I think we can do that. 

Just need that girl, the real reason I even came to this party of dead-beats ... to grab my attention before I'm out of reach and pull me back in.

Like that end seen in Something About Marry ..ha

I wouldn't sleep on Monday in the northern parts of SNE:

Still a considerable amount of uncertainty in the exact track and how quickly the storm moves through the region. This is still evident via the spread of MSLP low locations per the GEPS/GEFS/EPS guidance. If the storm tracks a bit more inland it would result in a higher wind risk and less accumulating snow, whereas a track a bit further offshore would bring more accumulating snow and lower the wind risk. At this point given the spread am not certain on where to hedge the forecast. Will note that probabilities of 1+ inches of snow continue to increase across the higher terrain from run to run per the NBM. At this point have roughly 20-80 percent chances of 1+ inches of snow and 10-50 percent chances of 4+ inches of snow, again across the higher terrain. Generally have stuck with the NBM at this point in time. However, given the deep low and its track do think that there is a good shot to tap into strong and perhaps damaging wind gusts. Ensemble SATA tables show roughly 1-2 STD above model climatology for winds later on Sunday through Monday. Could perhaps see a 30-70+ kt S/SSE low level jet as the low is lifting through early/mid Monday. The track will be key because if the storm moves more offshore this jet also pushes offshore. At this point am more confident in the strong winds with the W to NW flow in wake of the system where we could see 30- 50+ kt winds in place. Should not be difficult to mix this down with the colder air advecting in. Given the setup did opt to bump up wind speeds/gusts toward the NBM90th percentile.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Regarding the 1978 storm, it was a biggie... but nothing like 2 weeks later.  Interestingly, it had almost all melted in my area (Foxboro) by the time Feb 6 came

I think that January storm had thunder snow. I was in fourth grade living in Cambridge. Yes, it did melt before the blizzard.

• Like 1

My wunderground has bumped up these 3 coming storms...about 7.5 tonight/tomorrow, and 7 each for Sunday night and Wednesday.  Must be some trend that is good for us here, but not yet good for most ya'll.  Also, WPC's updated map looks a little better for many of us, with the low on the RI coast and a secondary at the BM

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I think that January storm had thunder snow. I was in fourth grade living in Cambridge. Yes, it did melt before the blizzard.

They still had like 4” of snow depth from the first storm prior to blizzard of 78 hitting at Logan airport. I’d be surprised if Cambridge had nothing. ORH still had 11” of pack. 

4 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

My wunderground has bumped up these 3 coming storms...about 7.5 tonight/tomorrow, and 7 each for Sunday night and Wednesday.  Must be some trend that is good for us here, but not yet good for most ya'll.  Also, WPC's updated map looks a little better for many of us, with the low on the RI coast and a secondary at the BM

and Thurs morn 996 just along or off PSM

57 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The longevity of the pattern change can be debated, but lets not pretend it's not a pattern change. I actually agree February is probably going to revert back to typical Feb Nina climo....but ignoring the fundamental shift in the NHEM pattern at least for a while post-1/25 isn't being honest.

Folks out west are thanking the pattern change so they can take a break from the snow onslaught but hey, no changes. Now, BY snow results is a different discussion so even when it becomes favorable for the coastal plain, individual threats may not produce and thus it would give the idea that nothing changed. I get it, we want results so until weenies are tickling themselves under feet of snow, nothing changed. Curious if NNE over the next 10 days will think nothing has changed. 

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

well certainly consolation and hope for us.  Brian's at work, Gene's doin whatever...just you and me keeping hope alive.

Even with it being a marginal airmass, Its still showed some front end snow even with the just inland track before the winds turned SSE.