• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
"We're gonna need a bigger plow..." Massive, persistent singal now emerges discretely in the models, 20th-23rd

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Nobody honked. I think you meant "discussed what models showed."  

No, MJO812 is right. Even the meteorologists in Connecticut talked about the possibility of a big nor'easter and snow being likely the end of next week. So of course everyone was going to get excited. It just looked like a pattern that would be locked.

So in all fairness, give him a break.. you don't always have to feel the need to correct somebody. I think a lot of us were excited.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I’ve watched six hours of non-accumulating snow today and then models trending strongly in the wrong direction for next week.

I think I’m just gonna take a mental break this week and try and enjoy Christmas.  If things still look like crap tomorrow night I’m out. 

I don't think this is coming back...the problem is the whole W Canada PV change is inside 72, for the models to make that shift like this and be wrong on that is unlikely...its possible though its nowhere near as amped as the Op Euro...as a matter of fact its likely it is nowhere near that amped...it could trend to a glorified FROPA as I said earlier 

• Like 4

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

I don't think this is coming back...the problem is the whole W Canada PV change is inside 72, for the models to make that shift like this and be wrong on that is unlikely...its possible though its nowhere near as amped as the Op Euro...as a matter of fact its likely it is nowhere near that amped...it could trend to a glorified FROPA as I said earlier 

It’s not like this type of a model shift is that anomalous us either. Certainly seen this happen before at this lead time. It seems like more often than we don’t see them come back after seeing this type of shift? 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

4 out of 52 members on the EPS that aren’t cutters to some degree. What could go wrong

It surely does suck. It would be nice that just once things would stay consistent a week out. So normal to feel this way, and I happily admit that I feel disappointed to, and I will again. But one of these will stick ( and when it does we're all going to be on the roof like little kids, getting ready to go sled riding after a big snowstorm with all our friends ). That's why we all keep coming back. Glutton for punishment lol

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Jeez, makes you wonder why anybody would book a ski vacation in New England for Christmas week?  :lol:

At one time I knew a lot of people who skied, now I do not know anyone that goes skiing. Back in the day there was a small ski area in North Andover Ma called Boston Ski Hill. It was open from the late 40's and it closed after the 92-93 ski season. That place wouldn't survive now.

Let's not blame anyone for believing yesterday's guidance and the large scale pattern that we'd have a decent chance at snow... this is one of the more egregious model swings I've seen in a while. People on this forum are not alone:

NWS zone forecasts still have 50% chance snow for most of SNE next Thursday...

NWS long range disco from last night:

Thursday...

Late next week ensemble height anomalies become configured across
N.A. to support a potential Northeast winter storm, with a large
amplitude west coast ridge, driving an amplifying downstream trough
over the MS & OH valley. In addition, anomalous Greenland ridge
extending into the NW Atlantic, supporting a negative tilt trough
from the OH valley into the Mid Atlantic. This likely precludes
system from heading out to sea, but also possibly tracking too close
to the coast for an all snow event. Storm track and ptype will
remain unknown until sometime next week. Also worth noting, tides
are astronomically high, with Boston at 11.28 ft MLLW 9:38 am Thu,
and 11.64 ft MLLW at 10:27 am Fri. Thus, we will need to watch this
closely as coastal flooding is possible.
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Put it on the back burner and see what the next 2 days in model trends are.  No need to go crazy/kids will be initially disappointed but ultimately be happy from the love they received from parents and family.

Not if their parents are snow weenies. Those parents are angry and will burn scalps with curling irons 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Let's not blame anyone for believing yesterday's guidance and the large scale pattern that we'd have a decent chance at snow... this is one of the more egregious model swings I've seen in a while. People on this forum are not alone:

NWS zone forecasts still have 50% chance snow for most of SNE next Thursday...

NWS long range disco from last night:

Thursday...

Late next week ensemble height anomalies become configured across
N.A. to support a potential Northeast winter storm, with a large
amplitude west coast ridge, driving an amplifying downstream trough
over the MS & OH valley. In addition, anomalous Greenland ridge
extending into the NW Atlantic, supporting a negative tilt trough
from the OH valley into the Mid Atlantic. This likely precludes
system from heading out to sea, but also possibly tracking too close
to the coast for an all snow event. Storm track and ptype will
remain unknown until sometime next week. Also worth noting, tides
are astronomically high, with Boston at 11.28 ft MLLW 9:38 am Thu,
and 11.64 ft MLLW at 10:27 am Fri. Thus, we will need to watch this
closely as coastal flooding is possible.

What relevence is that DISO? The data has changed,