Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

as you know I'm going with the lowest number for low records and the highest number for high records.  As long as JFK remains below the record it's going to be historic, at 1.7" currently.

Do you do the same for the high records? I believe LaGuardia recorded 81 or so inches in 1995/96, I’m sure Don or Chris could give us the exact figure, yet the 75.6 at Central Park the same season is considered the all time record. You can’t have one without the other.

No offense intended, because there isn’t any, but of course no one cares what number you’re going with LOL. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Do you do the same for the high records? I believe LaGuardia recorded 81 or so inches in 1995/96, I’m sure Don or Chris could give us the exact figure, yet the 75.6 at Central Park the same season is considered the all time record. You can’t have one without the other.

No offense intended, because there isn’t any, but of course no one cares what number you’re going with LOL. 

Yes 107 from LGA in 1966 for the record high!

ugh January 1996 was severely undermeasured so that 81" figure from LGA is probably much more accurate, note the differences between LGA (27") vs Central Park (21").

This isn't new for Central Park, they also undermeasured PD2 2003 (26" at JFK vs 20" at Central Park),  February 1983 (20"+ at both JFK and LGA, 18" at Central Park), February 1969 (20"+ at both LGA and JFK, 15" at Central Park), February 1961 (25" at JFK and 24" at LGA, while only 16" at Central Park.)

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

ugh January 1996 was severely undermeasured so that 81" figure from LGA is probably much more accurate, note the differences between LGA (27") vs Central Park (21").

This isn't new for Central Park, they also undermeasured PD2 2003 (26" at JFK vs 20" at Central Park),  February 1983 (20"+ at both JFK and LGA, 18" at Central Park), February 1969 (20"+ at both LGA and JFK, 15" at Central Park), February 1961 (25" at JFK and 24" at LGA, while only 16" at Central Park.)

Trust me you’re talking to the guy that knows this story too well. I’ve had a weather forum name for over 20 years honoring their incompetence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Good afternoon Liberty. I may have been tempted to check the CPK’s zoo keeper measurers driveway after the late night measurement.  As always …

483B2460-73BE-466E-8E36-5282AA2D7A5F.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Just occurred to me that we are coming up on the *30* year anniversary of the Storm of the Century.  That's both ridiculous and scary.

I consider December 1992 to be the storm of the century, it had FAR greater impacts, the city was wrecked in the wake of that storm.

On 3/1/2023 at 12:17 PM, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

LGA's record is 77.9" during winter 1995-96.

• Thanks 1

A general question, not aimed at any specific person, do you consider the Central Park snowfall "problem" to be lowball measurement or something more related to site problems in exposure to the full amount of snow that could fall on a wide open flat space? I know a park is supposed to be a wide open flat space but I gather they measure fairly close to some obstructions and there are trees around (albeit some are probably bare of leaves in snowfall months). 

I live in a snowy place so I am well acquainted with the large variations in snow depth after snowfalls around this rather small town, so I would imagine in NYC there would be considerable differences over small distances. 

Then also, what's the opinion on historical trends in this snowfall measurement problem? Could I assume that all NYC snowfall is 10 or 20 per cent below what actually fell, ever since the earliest days? The weather station was not in the park before 1920 from what I've read. 

If there has always been a similar problem then at least the historical record is useful since one case can be compared to another (both being in error by a similar percentage). If there's a trend in measurement problems, then that should be factored into any analysis. 

One optimistic way of looking at it, they have at least managed to measure 4500 inches of snow over 150 years, and that's 375 feet of snow. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Just occurred to me that we are coming up on the *30* year anniversary of the Storm of the Century.  That's both ridiculous and scary.

I know the impact was far beyond the snowfall amounts in NYC for that storm, but the 10.6 inches recorded doesn’t even place it in NYC’s Top 50 snowstorms, for inches fallen, of all time. 

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I know the impact was far beyond the snowfall amounts in NYC for that storm, but the 10.6 inches recorded doesn’t even place it in NYC’s Top 50 snowstorms, for inches fallen, of all time. 

and it shouldn't.  The biggest storm by far that season was the amazing December 1992 noreaster.  That was the greatest storm I have seen in my entire life and had FAR more impact than any snowstorm that I've ever seen.

March 1993 was 12 inches here and the last time we had double digits from a single storm in March but even had it been all snow it still would not have the enduring impact of December 1992 which changed entire coastlines forever.

2 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

A general question, not aimed at any specific person, do you consider the Central Park snowfall "problem" to be lowball measurement or something more related to site problems in exposure to the full amount of snow that could fall on a wide open flat space? I know a park is supposed to be a wide open flat space but I gather they measure fairly close to some obstructions and there are trees around (albeit some are probably bare of leaves in snowfall months). 

I live in a snowy place so I am well acquainted with the large variations in snow depth after snowfalls around this rather small town, so I would imagine in NYC there would be considerable differences over small distances. 

Then also, what's the opinion on historical trends in this snowfall measurement problem? Could I assume that all NYC snowfall is 10 or 20 per cent below what actually fell, ever since the earliest days? The weather station was not in the park before 1920 from what I've read. 

If there has always been a similar problem then at least the historical record is useful since one case can be compared to another (both being in error by a similar percentage). If there's a trend in measurement problems, then that should be factored into any analysis. 

One optimistic way of looking at it, they have at least managed to measure 4500 inches of snow over 150 years, and that's 375 feet of snow. 

they cant even measure temperature or wind properly there

9 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

I would not want to be in charge of that response. Nope.

I'm a rail buff too, it's been quite a week for the Union Pacific up and over Donner Pass.  Here is a link from Truckee which has less snow than further up the Pass, they are forecasted for only 1-2 feet in Truckee but possibly up to 5 more feet higher up: http://tahoetopia.com/webcam/downtown-truckee

• Like 3

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

What the prolonged near total absence of snow does to those in the Middle Atlantic forums of AmericanWx (New York City, Philadelphia, Mid-Atlantic). That the map could disappear with the next run is irrelevant:

image.png.8fea875a51b2b478b829440d8500457c.png

Good afternoon Don. Three Mets.  ?????? As Always ….

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

What the prolonged near total absence of snow does to those in the Middle Atlantic forums of AmericanWx (New York City, Philadelphia, Mid-Atlantic). That the map could disappear with the next run is irrelevant:

image.png.8fea875a51b2b478b829440d8500457c.png

If simulated snow is the only snow we will get, might as well enjoy it lol

6 hours ago, forkyfork said:

this is what they took from us

IMG_20230303_204429.jpg

IMG_20230303_204439.jpg

IMG_20230303_204530.jpg

Was that snow or rain by JFK, it's hard to tell?  Was this a triple phaser?  And if I'm reading the map correctly, the light blue is for areas that got 10"+ and the deeper blue is for areas that received 20"+?  If so SW Nassau was right at the 10" mark because it's right near the edge of the lighter blue.

It's actually similar to the late February 2010 snowicane.

On 3/3/2023 at 10:19 AM, IrishRob17 said:

I'm a rail buff too, it's been quite a week for the Union Pacific up and over Donner Pass.  Here is a link from Truckee which has less snow than further up the Pass, they are forecasted for only 1-2 feet in Truckee but possibly up to 5 more feet higher up: http://tahoetopia.com/webcam/downtown-truckee

Whiteout conditions there currently 

• Like 2

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic