Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

12 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Nice.  I've camped there many times.  Never had a stove in my tent though.  Might have had a Sierra Nevada or two.  :thumbsup:

We had a few more than just Sierra Nevada ;) Awesome night. Low was 14. Coldest it got in the tent was 21 when the stove went out. We averaged 68 otherwise. It snowed on and off of all day at camp. We made the most of this lame winter. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Nice.  I've camped there many times.  Never had a stove in my tent though.  Might have had a Sierra Nevada or two.  :thumbsup:

I've been getting my fix in the Whites.  It's snowing again today in Glen, NH.  This coming week is gonna be good for snow up here.  Mixed feelings about heading home, but at least I won't miss Mondays event.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

This is one of the greatest things I've ever read. Just an all-time great. Monuments will be erected in its honor. 

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I'm much more partial to Prospect Park it's where I grew up.  I've always considered Manhattan and Central Park where the elitist of the elite hang out and I'm not into that kind of snobbery.  I also don't like the obsession over Central Park weather, New York City is a lot larger than just that one park and I feel the conditions over the entire city need to be taken into account when considering records....this discussion has been had on this forum ad infinitum, whether it's averaging of the park plus the two (or three airports if you also consider Newark) or taking the highest and lowest of all of them combined for the records.  I happen to support all of that since it gives a much fuller picture of the city than just one location which isn't even accurate in its measurements of snowfall, wind or temperature.  I've been to the Bronx Zoo and Prospect Park several times, just never Central Park.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The northern lights were visible at least as far south as the Catskills and Poconos last night. I slept through it, naturally. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpK8gUfMmt3/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Damn it!  I heard there was a big solar storm!

Were they visible in the Southern Poconos south of I-80 do you know?

Seeing LIE mentioned in storm thread.  After we moved to Texas (1981), they renamed NY 495 to I-495, which bothers me, as even number prefixes to a 2 digit interstate is for loops (like I-610 in the Houston inner loop highway) and the LIE is a spur of 95, or should be I-395 or I-595.

The I-495 beltway in Massachusetts follows the rule.

I'm old enough to remember the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway being new, when there was talk of a bridge extending it over the Sound to Connecticut.  I see Seaford and Lindenhurst posts, none from Amityville or Massapequa. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Can't believe it, but I was actually looking forward to tracking this storm and now watching it play out.  I guess I need some snow before I can appreciate spring warmth.

Wound up with 5.2 , another spotter from town had the same I saw posted 

• Like 1

Periodic update on the extreme forecast for NYC for 3/1-4/15: 5° below normal; 20" snow.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/58486-winter-banter-thread/?do=findComment&comment=6823796

Based on the latest guidance, the first 10 days of March will average around 1° below normal. For the overall 3/1-5/15 period to average 5° below normal, the remainder of the period would need to average 6.1° below normal. The 1991-2020 normal temperature for 3/11-4/15 is 46.9°. That means the period would need to have a mean temperature of 40.8° or below for the extreme forecast to verify.  The last time that happened was in 1956.

Future updates will be based on actual data.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Periodic update on the extreme forecast for NYC for 3/1-4/15: 5° below normal; 20" snow.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/58486-winter-banter-thread/?do=findComment&comment=6823796

Based on the latest guidance, the first 10 days of March will average around 1° below normal. For the overall 3/1-5/15 period to average 5° below normal, the remainder of the period would need to average 6.1° below normal. The 1991-2020 normal temperature for 3/11-4/15 is 46.9°. That means the period would need to have a mean temperature of 40.8° or below for the extreme forecast to verify.  The last time that happened was in 1956.

Future updates will be based on actual data.

40.8 doesn't sound that cold though Don.  I figured it would have to average in the 30s.  I'm surprised March 2018 wasn't that cold?

So now that we are safe in NYC from setting an all time lowest snowfall record, how much more snow will we get this year? What are people's thoughts on this?

We are going to start to run out of chances IMHO to get any significant snow. Of course we can always get an April surprise, but those are usually not the norm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wannabehippie said:

So now that we are safe in NYC from setting an all time lowest snowfall record, how much more snow will we get this year? What are people's thoughts on this?

We are going to start to run out of chances IMHO to get any significant snow. Of course we can always get an April surprise, but those are usually not the norm.

Typhoon Tip commented on the longer range Euro ensemble 500 mb pattern and used the number '1888' in his post.  He qualified that rather severely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wannabehippie said:

we aren't really safe from it-- I expect we wont get any accumulation from Friday's event and we'll then have to depend on March 10 and beyond.

20 hours ago, Wannabehippie said:

They’re not safe.

NYC stands at 2.2 inches officially, even though areas of the Bronx received over 5 inches from yesterdays storm. The record low is 2.8. Still achievable, if one would call that an achievement. Especially the way the doofus at Central Park often under measure or don’t measure small events. 

2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

They’re not safe.

NYC stands at 2.2 inches officially, even though areas of the Bronx received over 5 inches from yesterdays storm. The record low is 2.8. Still achievable, if one would call that an achievement. Especially the way the doofus at Central Park often under measure or don’t measure small events. 

as you know I'm going with the lowest number for low records and the highest number for high records.  As long as JFK remains below the record it's going to be historic, at 1.7" currently.

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic