Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

Just now, CAPE said:

Latest GEFSX continues the cold pattern into Jan.

1673308800-cEBnuJcj91g.png

With that pna ridge, I’m liking our chances despite the op models not showing much of anything. 

We don’t have that western ridge in place right now. Just get it there, and let the rest take care of itself.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

With that pna ridge, I’m liking our chances despite the op models not showing much of anything. 

We don’t have that western ridge in place right now. Just get it there, and let the rest take care of itself.

As long as we don't go dry. A bit of a split flow will help in a Nina.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Many pro LR forecasters had January shaping up like this...a big 'thaw' period. It is probably going to be a backloaded season as we are accustomed to in a Nina and we arr going to have to be patient. Like you said tho...it's way out there but the great looks are going to shift around at some point. The Dec -AO/-NAO base is a good signal tho for returning periodically so even if it happens as you noted,  I doubt we are done with the +heights at HL for the year.

My point was with that pacific look it shouldn’t be that warm in the east. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

GFS still has the hellacious arctic front, temps dropping to the teens in the afternoon with some fresh light snow on the ground next Friday.  Would be cool if it happened. 

CMC digs a h5 little farther SE and turns out a little better at the surface.  Now I see what has to happen for the 23rd to even have a prayer to be something beyond a snow squall...needs to dig to Southwest GA

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

GFS still has the hellacious arctic front, temps dropping to the teens in the afternoon with some fresh light snow on the ground next Friday.  Would be cool if it happened. 

snow globe effect very fast northern Jet under the block and the southern jet screaming out to sea not to connect with a phased storm which can change.  We need at least 4 days to work on that solution. 

8 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Strictly from a White Christmas standpoint, there is a little vort that slides just to our south on the 24th.  Something like that on the heels of the Arctic front could do it.

That's what happened in 83 after the artic blast came thru. No storms but several light snow events moved thru with an inch or 2 here and there iirc. That was a long time ago but I remember that holiday specifically for the cold and bit of snow that came with it. 

• Like 6

On 10/27/2022 at 4:18 PM, Cobalt said:

That look on the EPS reminds me a lot of November 2017. Not identical, but overtop there are definitely similarities to the start of the month in both figures. 

comphour.QxhfnpyzwO.gif.5adc33277ae75f8f3b7067823be51a14.gif

While the month wasn't 1:1 at h500, November 2017 did have an extreme -EPO event, much like what we had during the middle of last month. That year also featured a prolific Arctic outbreak during the last week of December into early January. 

comphour.s9oFqhSf6q.gif.394a489d28d0419b595eb569984f8de0.gif

The main difference between these two timeframes is that December 2017 was more positive in the AO and NAO domains than what we're dealing with now. Not hostile, but it was definitely a pacific driven pattern.

comphour.9rzqGGWEAS.gif.5c4023a968606f739fecc16fcce61e27.gif

That timeframe had some impressive cold. According to @RodneyS, December 26th through January 8th 2018 averaged 22.5 degrees at DCA, which was the coldest such 2 week stretch since January 10-23,  1994. That arctic outbreak concluded with a major storm for our subforum's Eastern region on January 4th, but wintry threats continued through mid January. We will see if additional Greenland/Arctic blocking allows for this stretch to be snowier than that was for our general subforum, although I'm unsure if this timeframe will rival that one in terms of temperature departures.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Strictly from a White Christmas standpoint, there is a little vort that slides just to our south on the 24th.  Something like that on the heels of the Arctic front could do it.

This is classic @psuhoffman how we win. As @WxUSAF said, 3" - 6" in December is climo and then some.

• Like 1

We need that phase to happen and kill off the primary that gets up into f'ing Wisconsin. Wouldn't hurt for that west Coast ridge to get farther east.

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

So, you are going with the "never" scenario.  Bold.

What I say means nothing, so might as well go for it!