• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

The thing I'm not understanding about the "cold chasing precip never works" people is that next week there's a semblance of cold air already around BEFORE the potential storm takes shape next week. Obviously if the low forms right over us or to the west, it doesn't really matter what the temperatures are coming in, at least in terms of pure snow. Just from what I can see, it seems like this is almost entirely about where the main low pressure takes over vs not having enough cold air in place to make it work. 

Correct me if I'm wrong. Many much more intelligent folks in here. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

The thing I'm not understanding about the "cold chasing precip never works" people is that next week there's a semblance of cold air already around BEFORE the potential storm takes shape next week. Obviously if the low forms right over us or to the west, it doesn't really matter what the temperatures are coming in, at least in terms of pure snow. Just from what I can see, it seems like this is almost entirely about where the main low pressure takes over vs not having enough cold air in place to make it work. 

Correct me if I'm wrong. Many much more intelligent folks in here. 

You're correct.  If this sort of redeveloper scenario ends up happening, it all depends on where the energy transfer occurs and how strong the Lakes low will be as that's happening.  If you look closely, GGEM and Euro have a little snow from the coastal at the start today, then quick change to rain, then snow with the arctic front.  Very complicated and lots of subtle details.

For now, we want the strong shortwave to enter the Plains farther east and dig farther south.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

You're correct.  If this sort of redeveloper scenario ends up happening, it all depends on where the energy transfer occurs and how strong the Lakes low will be as that's happening.  If you look closely, GGEM and Euro have a little snow from the coastal at the start today, then quick change to rain, then snow with the arctic front.  Very complicated and lots of subtle details.

For now, we want the strong shortwave to enter the Plains farther east and dig farther south.  

what does your gut tell you where this one is headed.  just curious.  mine tells me a strong primary low north of KY is bad but maybe in this type scenario it can work.  I feel like we saw this recently like early last week/previous week or so when this Friday looked to be a more wintry event.  it evolved obviously.  isn't this the same really?  

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Around the TN valley would be nice :lol: Now, apologies if I asked before, but...the Commutagedon storm (late Jan 2011)...we went from rain to snow (in fact that's the last time I remember that order happening, lol). How did that work again?

1 hour ago, Ji said:

@psuhoffmanim starting to think the most important thing we need is an active Southern Jet. Seems like -NAO/-AO/PNA whatever never really matters anymore cause we can get a snowstorm from the Gulf like 

Gulf storms that don't fight like hell to rain typically only happen in JFM (mostly FM). Dec gulf storms almost always rain here. We've had more than you remember because they didn't look good cuz it was too warm lol

Imo only, the most important thing is deep cold at the surface and mids. I don't mean frigid air. Just a cold dome that pushes at least to the triad in NC or the TN valley. Otherwise return flow in front of anything can chase away a decent column with ease (which is typical in Dec). I have yet to see a single airmass set up proper on guidance since Thanksgiving. Climo is fighting the cold press (as expected unfortunately). 

Before judging anything so far this very early season... let's wait until an airmass presses down that can actually work for more than 2 days 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

what does your gut tell you where this one is headed.  just curious.  mine tells me a strong primary low north of KY is bad but maybe in this type scenario it can work.  I feel like we saw this recently like early last week/previous week or so when this Friday looked to be a more wintry event.  it evolved obviously.  isn't this the same really?  

This is a Miller B setup as it stands today. They usually don't work out for us, do they?

1 minute ago, Wonderdog said:

This is a Miller B setup as it stands today. They usually don't work out for us, do they?

they can under certain circumstances...like have a block send the primary south of where it normally would be and reforming off ORF but keeping the primary tugging it back west.  it just rarely works out that way. 

10 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

An all coastal storm scenario looks pretty unlikely at this moment, but I'd also lean against a pure cutter.  So I think some sort of redeveloper scenario like the Op runs today portray makes the most sense.  But there's a pretty huge range of options in there in terms of sensible outcomes for us. Good news is that I think we get *some* snow in most of those redeveloper scenarios, but that could range from a dusting-2" with the arctic front to a MECS/HECS.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

This isn't really a Miller B setup in a classic sense. The northern stream "shortwave" on the gfs/euro is actually then tropospheric polar vortex. Lol. And it drops down far west then takes a diagonal path SE with a neg tilted trough stretching like a rubber band. Lol. For us to get a Miller B out of it we would need the TPV to approach from the SW. Or at least from due west at or south of our latitude. Problem is, I can't think of a single time that's come close to happening. Lol 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

An all coastal storm scenario looks pretty unlikely at this moment, but I'd also lean against a pure cutter.  So I think some sort of redeveloper scenario like the Op runs today portray makes the most sense.  But there's a pretty huge range of options in there in terms of sensible outcomes for us. Good news is that I think we get *some* snow in most of those redeveloper scenarios, but that could range from a dusting-2" with the arctic front to a MECS/HECS.  

I still think the 26-28th window should present a chance for a coastal storm with cold established. 12z EPS strongly hinting, as have previous runs of the GEFS.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

I still think the 26-28th window should present a chance for a coastal storm with cold established. 12z EPS strongly hinting, as have previous runs of the GEFS.

Hopefully if the 23rd fails, by the time we know that we'll be already busy tracking something for after the holiday :lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Agree. To me, for our purposes, next week's weird event IS the pattern change we've been waiting for. I guessed mid month back in Nov and that was too soon. I like everything I see coming up. I'd be happy with any frozen events this month. Especially ones that end below freezing. Lol. 

• Like 7

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Hopefully if the 23rd fails, by the time we know that we'll be already busy tracking something for after the holiday :lol:

The 23rd should be interesting, even if it doesn't produce much snow. Not sure we won't see some significant changes from what's currently being depicted. Kinda hoping to see something a bit unusual, with at least a little shot of snow.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

CPC also says more things keep pointing favorably! Best set of maps I have seen in very long time:

image.thumb.png.87b77967175d8a7c6203637d52da0d45.png

image.thumb.png.b8d36c5a2d107686613f60a63f7ce392.png

snow_probhazards_d8_14_contours.png

Like I said, that looks like a miller B signature. 

I'm leaning strongly towards that vs. a cutter for 12/23.

Watch out NYC-BOS corridor...

51 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We've had plenty of multi-event heaters over the years. Most decent winters require at least one. We're streaky AF here lol 

Eta: all time heater award has to go to Feb 14th thru March 31st.  What a blast that was 

That was an amazing period ushered in by that nifty squall along the Arctic front on Feb. 14!

But there was another period that was pretty decent, too...Jan. 30-Feb. 10, 2010? :lol:

(ETA:  I joke a bit of course, because everyone knows about 2009-10.  But in all seriousness you're right about us being streaky AF here, or so it seems.  Even that record-breaking 2009-10 winter was streaky:  amazing December that started early and then the HECS...followed by kind of "meh" late December through much of January...followed by that amazing 12 days from end of January into mid-February.)

• Like 1