Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

4 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Perhaps something like Feb. 14, 2015...or even more so??

That event had an unexpected mesoscale low form along the front which produced that boom in snow totals. I think what the gfs just spit out would be way more dynamic synoptically.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

That event had an unexpected mesoscale low form along the front which produced that boom in snow totals. I think what the gfs just spit out would be way more dynamic synoptically.

That's what it looked like to me.  I know, parsing details of a model some 10 days out, but still.  That's one hella dynamic system there and if it happens that way I could see a burst of heavy snow right as temps crash.  Not like a huge amount, but still.  In that Feb. 2014 event, I got about 2" in less than 2 hours as that Arctic front breezed through.  This looks more intense than that.

If something like that happened, probably nearly all of us would be pitching tent...so to speak!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Cold and dry behind it. Maybe a clipper incoming for NC. Hope someone doesn't engage in a meltdown.

Someone engaging in a meltdown over an ops run 10+ days out?  Say it ain't so!  That person you infer probably has 2 letters in their name, involving the 9th and 10th letters of the alphabet? :lol:

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

Someone engaging in a meltdown over an ops run 10+ days out?  Say it ain't so!  That person you infer probably has 2 letters in their name, involving the 9th and 10th letters of the alphabet? :lol:

sorry---i dont see where i melted down. I posted a pic of the D10 euro and said Hi lol. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

sorry---i dont see where i melted down. I posted a pic of the D10 euro and said Hi lol. 

Well to be fair, those Europeans like keeping things too warm over in these parts! 

(ETA:  And I was referring to the current run of the GFS and to @CAPE's comment, not to the 12Z ops Euro that was posted before).

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Well to be fair, those Europeans like keeping things too warm over in these parts! 

well whats crazy is if things are going this well in an amazing pattern....imagine how things will turn when we hit the typical Nina +AO,+NAO, +EPO

Its one OP run of one model and the arctic front would be cool, but I will say that I'll be a bit disappointed if this hyped period doesn't lead to something substantial before Christmas. Doesn't need to be a HECS. I know December 2009 doesn't happen often, but when we have a nice pattern to set up for snow right before or, even better, on Christmas, it would be really nice to cash in.

• Like 2

Just now, Ji said:

well whats crazy is if things are going this well in an amazing pattern....imagine how things will turn when we hit the typical Nina +AO,+NAO, +EPO

I won't worry about whatever "typical Nina" indices may or may not occur.  It's now December 13, we are looking at some unreal cold (compared to much of the past decade of Decembers!), and quite possibly some snow that's more than a dusting.  If we urp up a hairball and don't get anything other than chapped skin from cold and dry, will I be disappointed?  Yeah, of course, as will everyone here!  I personally don't think that will occur (and I don't have a cat, but people in my family do, and an urped up hairball is disgusting!).  But all the same...we have Jan-Feb-Mar left after this and I don't see us getting only diddly squat that whole time.  Last year, we had the one early January event that mostly affected DC southward, and a nifty final event in mid-March.  But last February sucked as did December.  So there's that.

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

@psuhoffman, maybe a lot again comes back to what people mean for “cash in.” I know some are HECS or bust. I’m not and maybe that’s my befuddlement. I’ve said a few times that something like 3” for DCA and ~6” for IAD and BWI would be wins in my book for December. That’s like 200% of normal! And if that comes via a front end thump that eventually mixes or changes over and then is followed by arctic air…bring it on I say.

Imo what’s “winning” is complicated and depends. I think from a distance without knowing the synoptic details I would be happy with a 4” snow event as a general rule. But again, if 24 hours out were looking at a HECS and it falls apart to just 4” we all know none of us is feeling great from that. 

Then there is the macro v micro. In the micro I’ll be happy with a 4” snow on Dec 23.  But at the end of the winter if all I got for the whole season was say 17” (which is a bottom 10% winter here) because we had a couple great patterns and all I got out of them was a few minor snowfalls…it’s a fail for the season.  Getting a small snowfall is fine but at some point we need to cash in big and max out a good pattern if we want to have a good season.  

To make a baseball analogy…going into a good pattern like this is kinda like having the bases loaded with nobody out and you’re 4-5 hitters coming up. Let’s say they hit a sac fly and an infield single that gets in 2 runs. In the micro that’s fine. They did ok. Then your bottom of the lineup strikes out.  Later the heart of the lineup comes up with 2 on and again they manage to get one run in. In the micro fine. But at the end of the game when you lose 5-3 you look back on that and realize you needed a 3 run homerun or a base clearing double somewhere in there.   I’m fine with singles as long as once in a while we get that home run. Or at least a double!  

33 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

There was an arctic front in the 80s that dropped 7” in an hour some places in northeast MD with thunderstorms. So anything is possible. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Much more of a coastal-dominant lean on the 18z GEFS vs 12z

Improvements in both the PNA region and in blocking over Baffin Island as per the last 2 GEFS runs. If we are to believe that the GEFS has been handling the pacific domain better than the EPS during this blocking regime, this would be an ample test for that. 

224699644_gfs-ens_z500a_namer_fh234_trend(2).thumb.gif.10c1c83b237463d333eab70c63a3c719.gif

• Like 8