Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

42 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

18z Euro may bring it back over the Atlantic lol

Charley did this in 2004 Punta Gorda to Orlando to Daytona then off into the Atlantic did so fairly quickly this will be anything but quick though.

Looks like it runs into the ridge then a slow bounce off to the ENE or NE in time. 

11 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Oh yes, for sure. Was just commenting on how the icon was going up the east coast…and the 18z Euro was heading that way too. But it could just be the 18z nonsense? 

I don't think that there's any nonsense about 18Z, especially because they're doing special balloon launches at 18Z:

https://www.wowt.com/2022/09/25/more-weather-balloons-going-up-help-forecast-soon-be-hurricane-ian/?outputType=amp

9 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

It physically cannot just go off to the northeast. Do people understand this?

Silly statement. Things(players) aren’t always(most times not) sampled correctly many days(4-5 days)out from an event.  And as you close in on go time, the players start to take the field, and that’s when things start to change many times. This could be that happening, or it could just be a hiccup.
0z will shed more light on this. 

39 minutes ago, Jersey Andrew said:

Have a friend who lives in Fort Myers Beach. Will storm surge be a problem there too?

I have a friend that lives in Cape Coral west of Fort Myers Beach surge will be a huge problem prolonged SSW flow right into the coast and in the East and Northeast quadrant.  Don't forget about the tornado threat too.  This is going to be pretty bad if this evolves the way that it is modeled.  Gotta hope for dry air and wind shear to weaken this down. 

1 minute ago, GaWx said:

I don't think that there's any nonsense about 18Z, especially because they're doing special balloon launches at 18Z:

https://www.wowt.com/2022/09/25/more-weather-balloons-going-up-help-forecast-soon-be-hurricane-ian/?outputType=amp

18z is notorious for hiccups.  I know most say that doesn’t happen  anymore, but it sure seems to happen quite a bit.  But it could be legit..0z will be telling.  

South of Tampa obviously is much better for them. However, further south there will be less time for shear to act to weaken Ian before it gets to the coast. Much higher risk of a Major at landfall if it keeps trending in this direction. Regardless, the odds of a weakening storm off the coast to the panhandle have really gone down.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

This may be just over correction, unfortunately if it is it likely means Tampa will end up being the landfall point

I think it will be south of Tampa think this comes so far north then gets the boot ene not too different then Charley did in July 2004.  I am thinking somewhere between Fort Meyers and Sarasota.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

This may be just over correction, unfortunately if it is it likely means Tampa will end up being the landfall point

Yeah and it's concerning, definitely not good. The farther south this thing landfalls the greater likelihood Ian can roll in at peak intensity. Have to think less shear, less dry air when you get south of Tampa. Plus, little real estate between Cuba and SW FL so its the path of least resistance. Little time to undergo EWRC vs a track parallel to the coast. This really opens the door to a Cat 4 landfall given Ian tightens up when it goes over Cuba and bombs when it emerges in the Gulf. Something we never want to see closing in to game time...but...it's good to see people down there taking early precautions and rushing their preparations to completion.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1