Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2022

George BM

3 hours ago, mattskiva said:

So CWG facebook has been about 4:1 climate change to actual capital weather posts for a while now, but now they are posting about ... fish being impacted by dams? Unless its going to increase the risk of downstream fishnadoes (in which case sign me up)... why?

I miss the old version of the standalone CWG weather blog, long before WaPo took them over, or CWG sold out, or...whatever happened. The former version had more of a homespun feel to it...I miss that.

4 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

CWG still does great local forecasts but it’s also about them being the weather section for one of the biggest national newspapers, meaning they pick up a ton of global/continental US weather-related stories, especially when the weather is slow locally

I don't know, their Sunday forecasts in particular have been crap since about July sometime....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

2019-20 was worse imo. This season has had almost nonstop tracking for 6 weeks now . Far from boring.  We just unfortunately have had 2 feet on the door threshold but can't seem to get more then a toe inside the party room lol. 

Still a solid 6 weeks to score a warning event up our way though :mapsnow:

How much did you end up with in 19/20?

I can't remember what I ended with. I'd have to go back and look

49 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

2019-20 was worse imo. This season has had almost nonstop tracking for 6 weeks now . Far from boring.  We just unfortunately have had 2 feet on the door threshold but can't seem to get more then a toe inside the party room lol. 

Still a solid 6 weeks to score a warning event up our way though :mapsnow:

It’s been pretty cruddy here for awhile. The biggest snow since 2016 for me was 6.3” on March 21, 2018, and that was mainly on grass, and gone a day or two later.  Other than that, it’s been mostly nickel and dime stuff.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

I think 10" or so . Worst in like a 25 year period. 

This season to date.  Around 13"

Just went back and looked. I had 5.5 for the season. Ugly year.

What makes this year so frustrating is when we do have a threat it almost has always went the wrong way. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

It’s been pretty cruddy here for awhile. The biggest snow since 2016 for me was 6.3” on March 21, 2018, and that was mainly on grass, and gone a day or two later.  Other than that, it’s been mostly nickel and dime stuff.

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

No doubt Bmore has a terrible bad luck streak going for a while now. Mby got 15" from the March 18  Mecs/ Hecs 

Yep...I know folks say that "oh that's just climo", and while it is true that we've had mediocre stretches, this is the longest since the time between 1988 and 1993. Our other stretches since then were are at least slightly broken up by a great event (i.e. Jan 25, 2000, Feb. 2006). So this has been kinda bad even for our climo. Now, I blame that partly on the fact that 4 of the last 6 winters have been ninas, and in none of those were we able to fluke our way into even a single warning-level event. I don't care what the official numbers say...Ninas SUCK. They can deceive in the snow records by farting out enough penny and nickel events to not be total shutouts and even get to median. But they remain the most difficult ENSO state for any higher-than-advisory level snowfall for Baltimore. And this season we've seen thar even with an unusual stj, it hasn't been enough most of the time!

Nown the older heads here have more of a frame of reference for what we've seen: the period between 1970 and 1978, lol An extended stretch of mediocrity also brought to you by 4 la ninas...along with a Super niño (72-73) that was so strong it overwhelmed everything! But us youngins' ain't got that reference, lol

I mean, the good news is...this winter has shown that we can still get arctic cold, and certainly enough cold to snow. You'd hope if we can get a Niño to work we can have a better shot at something deeper!

8 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

@psuhoffman  

just brutal, event after event, this year. I don't think most folks get just how bad 1/3 was up here and that has been the repeating pattern...

Nope…we absolutely understand. You’ve told us 200 times. Funny thing is that those in the typical screw zones are far less vocal about this stuff. It’s just snow.

• mappy unpinned this topic