Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

Just now, stormtracker said:

In all seriousness, it's a little better than 0z.  A little.

all we need is an amazing front end dump before changeover and its a major snowstorm. Euro had a really nice snowy panel! and the cold air never seems to move out as fast as modeled

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Anybody able to post a quick image showing the euros trends from 12z yesterday through today? Definitely seems to be moving in the right direction. I guess the question is, is there enough time to push this sucker east enough. 

One thing I’m fairly confident of - Winchester over to 15 and up to 81 are going to get smoked. Less confident about my area, as it seems to be a battle zone, and I-95 of course.  

This what you were looking for?

trend-ecmwf_full-2022011312-f084.prateptype_cat_ecmwf.us_ma.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

In all seriousness, it's a little better than 0z.  A little.

It is.  GFS/Euro blend is a solid front end for the metro corridor with 3-6".  Hard to tell how much rain still, but obviously a huge dry slot.  Less surface reflection west of the Apps helps concentrate the WAA right into our area, so we get a really solid 6-8 hours of snow.  Hard to see that we'll get a GEFS mean like offshore track, but even one that goes Richmond-->lower DE-->ACY could be a big improvement with limited non-frozen precip while also giving us the best WAA snow. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Better thump, that’s all the matters.  Who cares about the changeover when it’s dark and late anyway. 

Regardless of what falls, it looks like it'll be a precip bomb. This is a pretty juicy 1hr panel as depicted on the Euro

ecmwf-deterministic-dc-precip_1hr_inch-2377600.thumb.png.0ed4c3b503178b94d75ee3e8662ff06b.png

Here's 850s at the end of that timeframe. 

ecmwf-deterministic-dc-t850-2377600.thumb.png.d1eca6dbb133421aa106c0443d5a3d66.png

Should be pretty interesting once mesos get into range. 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 3

1 minute ago, LeesburgWx said:

Is the center really going to hook NW like this? I know, I know. But really?

If it gets captured early as depicted on models, sadly. We’ve seen many storms like this over the years where the evolution in the south / southeast is nearly perfect, but the trough axis isn’t or we have energy capturing our low and pulling it NW.

It’s going to be tough to see a low near the Carolina coastline with snow breaking out as far south as SC, just to see it get yanked NW and the mid levels get destroyed by an easterly fetch. Really hope models aren’t handling the NS correctly, but it’s hard to bank on that when every single OP run has a similar outcome. Hopefully more data by 00z tonight will help start a new and clear trend SE

• Like 1

Just now, jayyy said:

If it gets captured early as depicted on models, sadly. We’ve seen many storms like this over the years where the evolution in the south / southeast is nearly perfect, but the trough axis isn’t or we have energy capturing our low and pulling it NW.

It’s going to be tough to see a low near the Carolina coastline with snow breaking out as far south as SC, just to see it get yanked NW and the mid levels get destroyed by an easterly fetch. Really hope models aren’t handling the NS correctly, but it’s hard to bank on that when every single OP run has a similar outcome. Hopefully more data by 00z tonight will help start a new and clear trend SE

Look at the H5 charts. The high pressure is clearly funneling the system into the coastline like how you would get a September 1938 gale up in here.

CMC and Euro demonstrate once again, as has been mentioned by smart folks, unless the NS backs off last minute there is not much influence to be had over the ultimate fate of the storm through other factors. That phasing is just so strong. Both models had significant jumps East with the h5 low for the first 72 hours and it really only marginally affected the storm track in the end. Even with what looks like a very nicely timed neutral tilt (could even be considered late, compared to last Monday) we can’t buy much time west of the low along 95. Just have to hope that piece is overdone. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I'm rather stunned by the consistency of outcomes from a few days ago, especially for something with so many moving parts.

I was initially thinking ops may be out of whack because the uncommon solution in the face of "ok" upper levels kept ending up inland no matter what timing difference or 500mb shift. That tells us something in the "steering" is pretty stable. Then it became more clear to me. Track has far more to do with that hallway of weakness than anything that happens before with the storm itself. This has prob been rehashed a bunch. Haven't been reading much. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic