Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

57 minutes ago, snowfan said:

There’s too much reliance on the HRRR close in for events. It bounces around with adjustments every run and to be frank, it kinda sucked near the metro areas last night. Many of us that got 3-4” were getting 1-2 based on the HRRR. 

Yea the HRRR and RAP were too dry across the board. When that early band was putting down 1"/hr rates along I-81 the RAP still had no snow. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

2.8” new on 0.20” precip in Falls Church, so good ratios.  

I’ll push back on some of the model commentary.  At least around here, the GFS had way too much precipitation.  The HRRR was more realistic except for a few runs last night that went too dry.  The NAM and Euro were the best on QPF in the DC area.

I thought the nams did well with the evolution, and the 3km with totals, but wondering other’s thoughts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

Another factor in the model discussion is the ratios.  This was a very high ratio storm around here for us.  None of the models really do that well, even using Kuchera.

DCA/IAD/BWI were all under .25” of precip.  The GFS was by far the worst model in this regard.  

Good info. Only 0.2” at BWI, wow. And I think they reported 3” even?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Another factor in the model discussion is the ratios.  This was a very high ratio storm around here for us.  None of the models really do that well, even using Kuchera.

DCA/IAD/BWI were all under .25” of precip.  The GFS was by far the worst model in this regard.  

I think the euro and 3k nam did pretty well depicting the axis of banding and general qpf totals in our area. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Yup.  And usually I’m leery of the ASOS precip totals in snowfall, but that was almost dead on with mine (2.8”/0.20).

So 14-15:1 ratios. Much higher than normal for us. On a related note, did you see BWI apparently revised their Monday total down to 6.0”??

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I don’t think any model will ever be able to nail down ratios all that well. It really feels it is just too much to ask a model to know how much microclimates and more affect ratios. They do a hell of a job just to get as close as they do already