Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

As somebody who lived in Buffalo for 5+ years, I can confirm this is the exact type of snow / accumulation seen with Lake Effect.

2” per hour of the fluffiest snow you’ll ever see stemming from a near picture perfect atmosphere for dendrite growth. Pretty rare we see these types of flakes down here. Amazing. 

Yeah this exactly having gone to school at Syracuse and experiencing a bit of lake effect 

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

As somebody who lived in Buffalo for 5+ years, I can confirm this is the exact type of snow / accumulation seen with Lake Effect.

2” per hour of the fluffiest snow you’ll ever see stemming from a near picture perfect atmosphere for dendrite growth. Pretty rare we see these types of flakes down here. Amazing. 

I still remember the 7'er back in the day. Can't remember if it was Buffalo or Rochester or what. That will stick with me forever. I wanted to be there so bad. 

Just now, Wetbulbs88 said:

I still remember the 7'er back in the day. Can't remember if it was Buffalo or Rochester or what. That will stick with me forever. I wanted to be there so bad. 

May have been up in Oswego County. Had one  close to 80" in 2004 near Fulton/Oswego and close to 100" from a storm near Parish/Pulaski in 2007 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

I witnessed some doozies - the October storm, among others. Lake effect events there are always the best (2-3” per hour rates and 1+ foot of snow within mere hours) but we also saw a fair share of solid synoptic snowfalls during the winters of 06-11 from inland runners. Amazing winters up there. I don’t miss those bitter cold Canadian winds though.   

2 minutes ago, rjvanals said:

May have been up in Oswego County. Had one  close to 80" in 2004 near Fulton/Oswego and close to 100" from a storm near Parish/Pulaski in 2007 

I remember that 07 winter quite well. Insane… absolutely insane LES that year. I’ll never forget it. I went to visit my girlfriend at Oswego State and got stuck there for a week because it snowed a solid 1-2 feet everyday for 4-5 days straight. My car vanished under snow in the school lot. 

• Like 1

It’s still absolutely ripping out there in central MD. Band has weakened ever so slightly as it moves east and the coastal continues to crank offshore, taking the best energy with it, but man, it’s still quite impressive out there. 

All hail, king revamped GFS

Just now, Deck Pic said:

Not sure if you were around then, but a bunch of us on this forum chased the Feb 2007 LES event.  Incredible.

Yeah was a Senior at Syracuse at the time. Chased the event and got some good photos w the weather channel crew in Parish. Was a bit depressing heading back down to campus 25 miles south of the storm and bare ground since the prevailing winds were W and you needed a WNW to get hit in Syracuse. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rjvanals said:

Yeah was a Senior at Syracuse at the time. Chased the event and got some good photos w the weather channel crew in Parish. Was a bit depressing heading back down to campus 25 miles south of the storm and bare ground since the prevailing winds were W and you needed a WNW to get hit in Syracuse. 

The narrowness of those bands were endlessly fascinating to me as a kid. I couldn't grasp how such huge snowstorms could fit into those tiny little bands. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rjvanals said:

Yeah...Mike Seidel stayed in our motel

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

How much lead time did you all have? 

That storm was well forecasted a few days out on the local news in Syracuse. If I remember correctly initially the thought was more towards Oswego/Jefferson County line would be the bullseye but it turned out to be Parish/Pulaski in the central part of Oswego County. Great storm. 

Just now, Deck Pic said:

At least 2-3 days.  It came together quickly but wasn't a total audible.  @stormtracker @WEATHER53might recall better..i'm missing some others

• Like 1