Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

They got sick of reading this thread and called it off. I keep telling people they have to be nice to wx models and mother nature or else but they just don't listen...

That guy this afternoon that said the storm didn't look that great is what did it.  The storm saw that and now we get the finger.

• Haha 2

37/23. Looks like this will start as snow here, in contrast to some model projections. The sun and mid-40s temps really cut back on the snowpack, but still averaging about 6". 

Even an inch or so would look pretty and put me over Climo, so personally I don't care that much if North and West areas get most of this. 

Don't the metros usually struggle with dry spots when you're dealing with a transfer to the coast? Then when you combine how quick this one is moving, just doesn't seem like a great formula. 

Im sure I'm missing something, as I'm lacking in the knowledge many of you have. 

It's not even supposed to be snowing in our area for about 5 more hours...some ya all need to chill.  WRT radar, it looks exactly how its supposed to look.  The banding streaming off to our NW is supposed to.  That isn't what brings the DC area any snow.  As the upper level energy now over KY/WV emerges through VA later tonight that banding down to our SW will transition across the area.  Everything looks exactly like it should on radar to me.  Not worse, not better...the way its supposed too.  WRT the HRRR and RUC they are eratic as all get out.  From one storm to another they can be good or just plain awful.  But the difference isnt that crazy.  There was one run that was 1.2 QPF but most runs of the HRRR have been around 1.5-1.9 QPF.  With expected ratios thats about 2".  We are expecting 2-4" so thats on the low side but not that out of range.  Some of the better guidance (except the GFS which is probably on crack) is closer to .3 QPF which would be the 3-4" possibility with good ratios.   I guess if you were expecting this to suddenly explode into a 6-12" snowstorm then it looks like a disaster so far but if you are expecting the 2-4" that was generally advertised by most guidance lately...everything looks fine imo.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It's not even supposed to be snowing in our area for about 5 more hours...some ya all need to chill.  WRT radar, it looks exactly how its supposed to look.  The banding streaming off to our NW is supposed to.  That isn't what brings the DC area any snow.  As the upper level energy now over KY/WV emerges through VA later tonight that banding down to our SW will transition across the area.  Everything looks exactly like it should on radar to me.  Not worse, not better...the way its supposed too.  WRT the HRRR and RUC they are eratic as all get out.  From one storm to another they can be good or just plain awful.  But the difference isnt that crazy.  There was one run that was 1.2 QPF but most runs of the HRRR have been around 1.5-1.9 QPF.  With expected ratios thats about 2".  We are expecting 2-4" so thats on the low side but not that out of range.  Some of the better guidance (except the GFS which is probably on crack) is closer to .3 QPF which would be the 3-4" possibility with good ratios.   I guess if you were expecting this to suddenly explode into a 6-12" snowstorm then it looks like a disaster so far but if you are expecting the 2-4" that was generally advertised by most guidance lately...everything looks fine imo.  

So about 90% of the posters here will think it’s a disaster. Present company included lol. Great post!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

the Great Pumpkin only visits the most sincere pumpkin patches.

I don’t remember what area that guy posted from. But I sincerely hope he goes where it never snows. The Great Pumpkin needs to know I will atone for that disrespectful post

• Like 1