• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?

Typhoon Tip

That's a great looking run from the RGEM. With >12:1 ratios, arguably warning snows for all of SNE, plowable back to the west into NY, NJ, PA and also well up into NNE. Significant snows are still very possible, particularly for eastern SNE.

One negative, however, is that this run actually looks a little less sharp aloft than 18z. I don't like the trend of flattening the trof, but I suppose it could also be indicative of the possibility that a tucked solution is possible without a strongly tilted trof. I trust the RGEM with tucked SLP positions a little less than the EC or GFS.

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

This… I am so far out on a meager event it’s not even funny. The novelty of a 1-3” snowfall wears off after like late a November. If it isn’t going to snow enough to get me a day off Friday, spare me.

Yeah if we’re midway through a 3 inch storm it’s sketchy to try and call out.

You really do need a 6-12 deal for that 

In Iowa one morning we had 12 inches from overnight and I was due in for a shift at Olive Garden for lunchtime. My car was completely buried but the roads were treated. I tried to call out and they were like “you need to dig your car out”

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

How’s my BTV WRF

It'll look very similar to the 12km NAM which it uses for its ic/bc's.

I wouldn't trust it for any precipitation field anyways. The domain is too small. If winds are strong and perpendicular to any of its (4) boundaries, it'll muck up QPF along said boundary... I ran into this problem when I first ran WRF (ARW core) simulations.

You can subtly see this flaw on the far southern boundary of their domain (within 5 grid points of their boundary). The stronger the winds, the worse it gets. I added a picture of a couple good examples of this artifact when winds are stronger, and more perpendicular, to a modeling system's domain.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?
  • dendrite unpinned this topic