• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

In general, I don't think any one model has performed very well inside 72 hrs on any event.

It's also a problem that they've been taking 72 hours to get here from PDX. 

With such flat flow small errors are magnified when things are moving quickly. 

1 minute ago, eduggs said:

I think it's significant that the NAM has decreased the sharpness and amplitude of the 500mb trof for several successive runs today. That's doesn't mean I can predict the future or change your mind if you disagree. It's just an opinion.

if we are talking about from when it got into range on the 6z run this morning, it was on the western edge of guidance. not at all surprising it adjusted.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

In general, I don't think any one model has performed very well inside 72 hrs on any event.

On a microscale, no. We still can't pinpoint precipitation boundaries at the scale of individual towns and cities 3 days out. That's why I think it's best to take everything into account. Based on GFS and CMC trends several days ago, some thought good snows would get to PHL and NYC. The NAM was stubborn and resisted the trend. In the end, a blended compromise would have been right. It doesn't always work that way, but it's still almost certainly best to weigh all model outcomes at least a little.

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be. It’s the first mode run of better sampled data and it looks like complete garbage. I know it’s easy to brush it off as the Nam, but it’s still definitely not great 

Yes.

If the rest of the 00z suite doesn't stray from it, then anything other than a nuisance is on life support IMO...still give it until 12z for confirmation. 

• Like 1

On a microscale, no. We still can't pinpoint precipitation boundaries at the scale of individual towns and cities 3 days out. That's why I think it's best to take everything into account. Based on GFS and CMC trends several days ago, some thought good snows would get to PHL and NYC. The NAM was stubborn and resisted the trend. In the end, a blended compromise would have been right. It doesn't always work that way, but it's still almost certainly best to weigh all model outcomes at least a little.

You should use everything that is available and weigh them, Toss the outliers, And blend the rest by percentages to try to come out with a reasonable outcome.

• Like 1

Just now, dryslot said:

You should use everything that is available and weigh them, Toss the outliers, And blend the rest by percentages to try to come out with a reasonable outcome.

Agreed except we can't do an outlier test with so few data points. OK maybe you could with the HRRR. But the other models aren't run frequently enough. It's risky to disregard outliers when they very often end up being the most accurate runs of a suite.

Agreed except we can't do an outlier test with so few data points. OK maybe you could with the HRRR. But the other models aren't run frequently enough. It's risky to disregard outliers when they very often end up being the most accurate runs of a suite.

Well, It still comes down to the time frame your trying to hone in on, Obviously, A shorter lead will give you the most options, But by then, You should be into just the short range models so where do you draw the line?

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?
  • dendrite unpinned this topic