Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:

What gives. Brand new shower head leaks where it screws onto pipe. Wrapped pipe with Teflon tape, tightened head with wrench and it still leaks. Yes, rubber oring/screen is in place. Never had a head leak despite tightening to point of not wanting to snap something.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Sometimes those things are just hand tighten. Once you hit it with a wrench you can crack the plastic and that's it, it will always leak.

After seeing a wolf spider (at least I think it’s a wolf spider. I’m hoping it’s not like a black widow. We don’t have those here but with freaking climate change who knows for sure) in my bathroom in December, I take back EVERYTHING I’ve ever said about wanting warm winters. 

I want cold…historic cold…long-duration cold. COLD COLD COLD. Need the cold to kill them off or make them flock back south. 

THERW SHOULD NOT BE A WOLF SPIDER IN DECEMBER. Or anytime of the year.

We need a long stretch of historic cold and we need it now and every winter. From November to March…historic cold. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

After seeing a wolf spider (at least I think it’s a wolf spider. I’m hoping it’s not like a black widow. We don’t have those here but with freaking climate change who knows for sure) in my bathroom in December, I take back EVERYTHING I’ve ever said about wanting warm winters. 

I want cold…historic cold…long-duration cold. COLD COLD COLD. Need the cold to kill them off or make them flock back south. 

We need a long stretch of historic cold and we need it now and every winter. From November to March…historic cold. 

At least we don't have brown recluse, I used to work with a girl from the south and she had a nasty scar on her leg from a brown recluse bite, she was missing a chunk of her leg.

1 minute ago, DavisStraight said:

At least we don't have brown recluse, I used to work with a girl from the south and she had a nasty scar on her leg from a brown recluse bite, she was missing a chunk of her leg.

I think we actually do have those suckers here but they’re not common. Confined to like barnes and horse stable places. My uncle lived at one in Southington for several years as he did maintenance and took care of all the horses and he would see them from time to time 

16 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I want cold…historic cold…long-duration cold. COLD COLD COLD. Need the cold to kill them off or make them flock back south

Are you suggesting spiders migrate?

If you see a black widow, odds are it hitched a ride on tropical fruit, like in a bunch of bananas or something.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

It's an all metal head

We replaced our all-metal shower head a couple months ago with an all-metal shower hose, with holder, so the not-yet-tall grandkids could make it work.  Had no tape so just screwed it on hand tight, hasn't leaked (yet).

We replaced our all-metal shower head a couple months ago with an all-metal shower hose, with holder, so the not-yet-tall grandkids could make it work.  Had no tape so just screwed it on hand tight, hasn't leaked (yet).
We decided to try the shower head on our upstairs shower and it doesn't leak, so the new pipe downstairs for whatever reason does not thread as tightly

Excuse me. Am I correct for suggesting that, in the 1990s and 2000s Southern New England really did stand out by being more expensive than most parts of the country, but nowadays other markets have surpassed the cost of living in Southern New England, and now states like Rhode Island and Connecticut are still on the pricey side, but no longer at the same caliber of expensive when compared with other places?

I feel like the cost of living here has remained comparatively stable while other states have inflated for the past 20 years.

29 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Excuse me. Am I correct for suggesting that, in the 1990s and 2000s Southern New England really did stand out by being more expensive than most parts of the country, but nowadays other markets have surpassed the cost of living in Southern New England, and now states like Rhode Island and Connecticut are still on the pricey side, but no longer at the same caliber of expensive when compared with other places?

I feel like the cost of living here has remained comparatively stable while other states have inflated for the past 20 years.

Cries in AEMATT. 

Thank you Gesus da Crist . Headed to work on 395 North in the passing lane going 76 mph at this Rt 6 split on a corner. I come around the corner and a ****ing car is going the wrong way in the passing lane at high speed. Split second veer to the right and miss it by a pubic hair. WTF. Luckily just enough room to do it and not take out traffic on my right.  I see in my rear view the asshole going the wrong way pulls a u turn onto the 6 connector.  Holy shit

Screenshot_20211226-041343_Maps.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thank you Gesus da Crist . Headed to work on 395 North in the passing lane going 76 mph at this Rt 6 split on a corner. I come around the corner and a ****ing car is going the wrong way in the passing lane at high speed. Split second veer to the right and miss it by a pubic hair. WTF. Luckily just enough room to do it and not take out traffic on my right.  I see in my rear view the asshole going the wrong way pulls a u turn onto the 6 connector.  Holy shit

Holy crap that’s scary. Unfortunately I’ve had a scare with a wrong way driver too. Dude was coming at me and then veered into the median, through water, and went to the other side of rt 3. It’s insane when you see it happen, but nothing as close as what you had. Yikes.

• Like 1

Holy crap, that is scary.  I know that corner well, and having a car coming the wrong way there would be a nightmare.  Glad you were able to avoid an accident.  That will get the old ticker racing for a few hours.

• Like 1

Yikes. Glad you’re ok.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Terrifying Steve. Glad you're okay. I had the exact same experience on Chapel Street in New Haven earlier this week, thankfully not at highway speed. People are idiots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QCD17 said:

Holy crap, that is scary.  I know that corner well, and having a car coming the wrong way there would be a nightmare.  Glad you were able to avoid an accident.  That will get the old ticker racing for a few hours.

Yep plus it's incline coming the other way so during the day I never saw him. Split second

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Damn Steve.  We drove through there at about 7:30 last night and a similar thing happened.  We watched a vehicle slow down as it passed the rest area and we passed by and I happened to see that the car turned in the rest area using the on ramp to the highway.  People are stupid.

• Like 1

Wow Steve...crazy story!   Glad you’re ok!

Harkens back to a late night drive heading west on the Pomona Freeway in LA metro.   Guy in the left lane comes barreling through going the wrong way-no lights-probably drunk.   This had to be 42-43 years ago.  Getting home and turning my car off was the highlight of the day!

Southern New England has significant variations of snow. I’m getting a bit wild with this post, but this is banter so if you feel like reading it, then Go ahead. What you are about to read is what I just did on Reddit in r/Reno.

Mogul, Nevada gets 3 times as much snow as East Reno/Sparks. But Sparks gets 3 times as much snow as Fernley. 

45 inches / 15 inches / 5 inches annual. It’s almost like a Worcester/Tiverton/Nantucket type deal, except worse. And more complicated.

But the golden-colored spur of the Pah Rah range that lies between Sparks and Fernley is a weird enigma that sometimes serves to fire up thunderstorms over east sparks due to orographic lifting as a consequence of afternoon Washoe Zephyrs, or in retrograde patterns.

Also, that spur of the Pah Rah range is home to some of the nicer Sparks properties on its west foothills. I know this because I actually grew up in a house on that hill. The upper elevations of that cluster of hills actually reaches about 6000 feet at its peak… and I believe a NORAD or maybe an Airplane radar deal thingie sits on the plateau-like peak. And a cat litter mine and some radio antennas. This peak gets significantly more snow than people realize, due to its elevation, despite the fact it still lies within the strict rain shadow of the Sierra. 

Carson City also gets more snow than the eastern side of Reno…. Not so much because of the slight elevation advantage, but because the rain shadow cast by the Carson range and Sierra is more severe for the lower valley of Reno and Sparks, especially if you get a southwest flow.

Snowfall average varies quite a bit even from one part of the Valley to another in Reno, even if the elevation is the same. Actual Proximity to Peavine and the Carson range can be more important than a 200 or 300 foot elevation advantage that is had by hills between east Sparks and Spanish Springs. 

North Valleys are their own animal, but if you’re at or above about 4800 feet in those valleys (which excludes lower Sun Valley), you’re going to still do much better with snowfall than at the frickin’ Reno airport

Very nuanced shit here.

People throw around the 4500 foot figure for discussing the Reno elevation. Spanish Springs and downtown Reno are at 4500 feet thereabouts but seriously the metro area ranges from about 5500 feet at the highest suburbs above the southwest corner of McCarran Blvd, to actually just below 4400 feet if you are standing on the banks of the Truckee river just as it is exiting the east side of Sparks and the Truckee Meadows in general. 

But If you like snow you don’t want to be in that canyon at 4395 feet, trust me.

The worst snow averages in the general region are probably had somewhere in the valley where Fallon sits. Or the west shore of Pyramid Lake. 

The lowest valley in the region is Dixie Valley. It seriously stands out by sitting at 3300 feet. This is substantially lower than any place in Northern Nevada. My climatic discussion of the Reno area (called the “Truckee Meadows”) is just discussing that metro area. I could really get wild by getting into the adjacent Sierra Nevada. And Truckee, oh boy… Truckee gets more snow than ANYWHERE in New England unless you’re on Mt. Washington. I think only the U.P. Of Michigan can compete. 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, IowaStorm05 said:

And Truckee, oh boy… Truckee gets more snow than ANYWHERE in New England unless you’re on Mt. Washington. I think only the U.P. Of Michigan can compete. 

I was curious when I saw this because I didn’t actually know the annual snowfall for Truckee, but everything I’m seeing shows numbers in the 120”-200” range (perhaps the range is due to observations at different elevations).  Unless you’re specifically talking about cities with a certain population, or those that have a first order station or something (but you mentioned Mt. Washington), that’s pretty low.  A 200” total wouldn’t even be considered mid-tier annual snowfall at the local ski resorts around here, it would be low to mid-tier at best.  Some of the resorts out there like Kirkwood get up into the 400-500” range for annual snowfall, but not Truckee itself as far as I can see from the data.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

I was curious when I saw this because I didn’t actually know the annual snowfall for Truckee, but everything I’m seeing shows numbers in the 120”-200” range (perhaps the range is due to observations at different elevations).  Unless you’re specifically talking about cities with a certain population, or those that have a first order station or something (but you mentioned Mt. Washington), that’s pretty low.  A 200” total wouldn’t even be considered mid-tier annual snowfall at the local ski resorts around here, it would be low to mid-tier at best.  Some of the resorts out there like Kirkwood get up into the 400-500” range for annual snowfall, but not Truckee itself as far as I can see from the data.

I think its the first thing you said......Truckee sits on the east side of Donner summit and gets shadowed to some extent.......and I think the weather station is at the airport which is on the east side of town......wiki says its the fifth snowiest cityin the US based on and average 204 inches per year but IDK what they are calling a "city"........the real high totals are obviously in the nearby resorts - check out Soda Springs lol........

3 hours ago, J.Spin said:

“Truckee” actually spans about a 500 plus elevation range. If you’re in the super fancy homes in the higher slopes you’re probably looking at 300 inches. Especially as you get toward Donner Summit and points higher. 

Donner lake is at just under 6000 feet and they get less, I’m guessing around 100 inches a year.

I can second that the airport of both Tahoe and Truckee are in a basin/valley several miles east of the Sierra crest. These spots are well under 6500 feet and are in a mild rain shadow.

I did sorta mean the “area” when stating they’ve got some stuff the highest snowfall in the lower 48. Traditionally the northern Sierra has wetter winters than many areas of the Rockies and thus higher snowfall, but in recent years they’ve been seeing some declines in both snow and precip in general…. And climatologists are kinda panicky about this for several reasons. The area might be one of the snowiest places in North America, at least on the California side of it, but that probably won’t be forever.