Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

19 hours ago, Tezeta said:

Hello everyone. I come in peace. 

I need you. OT sucks and is full of loser sheltered indoor keyboard warriors who can’t answer my questions. 

Can someone recommend me some snowshoes? I want something mid range budget wise, but will only use them maybe 5 times a year. I have size 10 feet and already have decent boots. I don’t know anything about snowshoes so if you have opinions on what type of binding mechanisms etc, please let them rip.

I've always used old-fashioned ash-frame snowshoes, usually modified beavertails with nylon webbing and leather H-type bindings, and since I'm not small I have 36" by 14" (and sometimes would still sink a foot or more shortly after a big storm.)  I've also had some with neoprene webbing but have never used rawhide - others have advised that unless properly treated, the webbing can sag exhaustingly in spring snow conditions.  A co-worker of about my size (taller but a bit narrower) found some army surplus shoes with aluminum frames and plastic-covered steel webbing.  They weigh no more than my wood-frame ones and are all but indestructible.  (I've twice had wood snowshoes break while in the puckerbrush.  It's an adventure.)

My advice would be to listen to those who have used modern material shoes.

3 hours ago, tunafish said:

@TezetaI have a pair of Atlas that have treated me well.  I've had them for 16 years, and use them about a 15-20 times a season.  No clue what I paid for them back then, though.

What did you think of 4.0? I went to the Halloween run and it was the first phish I have listened to in ages. 

45 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

What did you think of 4.0? I went to the Halloween run and it was the first phish I have listened to in ages. 

I think this past fall tour was their best tour since 1.0.  No joke.  Willing to dive into the abyss freely at any moment, in any song.  How was the Halloween show?  Everyone I know who went liked the set, but most of their crew caught COVID.

25 minutes ago, tunafish said:

I think this past fall tour was their best tour since 1.0.  No joke.  Willing to dive into the abyss freely at any moment, in any song.  How was the Halloween show?  Everyone I know who went liked the set, but most of their crew caught COVID.

Well, funny thing about Halloween is that I was exhausted, did too many drugs the first three nights, so I sold my ticket in the nosebleeds behind the stage for 850 dollars and couch toured. Glad I did. I really enjoyed seeing kasvot in 18 but the space soldier crap didn’t do it for me. 

Thursday was so freaking good. The numbers show was one of the best I have ever been to. 

i received multiple contact tracing push notifications about covid but did not come down with it. Neither did my crew. probably because we never went onto the floor, which was the nastiest cesspit I have seen in a long time. 

13 hours ago, Tezeta said:

Also I don’t know how you can put fall 21 over the baker’s dozen summer, no matter how good it was. 

I guess I don't think of the BD as a tour, more of a stand or run.  Semantics, I suppose.  But yeah, BD was filthy night after night.  So, "best tour since 1.0 minus bakers", IMO.

Sounded like Halloween was the big spreader night, I'm sure the pyrotechnics didn't help the already-bad ventilation.  First 3 nights of Vegas sounded amazing on tape, but listening to the sci-fi set was a lot of work, I'd say you dodged multiple bullets that night, and made out $ wise. That's amazing you got 850 for a behind the stage ticket.  

MSG ticket prices are way down.  I'm real tempted to make a run down there for a night.  I just need to keep an eye on the weather.  I'm the climate observer for snow for PWM, so if it's going to snow I have to be here.  I can get someone to do the depth easily, but if it's actively snowing asking someone to run out there at midnight for an observation isn't fair.

3 hours ago, tunafish said:

I guess I don't think of the BD as a tour, more of a stand or run.  Semantics, I suppose.  But yeah, BD was filthy night after night.  So, "best tour since 1.0 minus bakers", IMO.

Sounded like Halloween was the big spreader night, I'm sure the pyrotechnics didn't help the already-bad ventilation.  First 3 nights of Vegas sounded amazing on tape, but listening to the sci-fi set was a lot of work, I'd say you dodged multiple bullets that night, and made out $ wise. That's amazing you got 850 for a behind the stage ticket.  

MSG ticket prices are way down.  I'm real tempted to make a run down there for a night.  I just need to keep an eye on the weather.  I'm the climate observer for snow for PWM, so if it's going to snow I have to be here.  I can get someone to do the depth easily, but if it's actively snowing asking someone to run out there at midnight for an observation isn't fair.

I am not much of a Phish fan but I have a bunch of their original LPs in my vinyl collection that are worth at least a mortgage payment or two.

I had kind of forgotten about them because I bought them so many years ago and then I looked them up on eBay and laughed out loud.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I am not much of a Phish fan but I have a bunch of their original LPs in my vinyl collection that are worth at least a mortgage payment or two.

I had kind of forgotten about them because I bought them so many years ago and then I looked them up on eBay and laughed out loud.

Yes, if you have them from before the resurgence of vinyl, they are definitely worth some coin.  I love having a few of their records on vinyl, and they've started doing some live stuff now, too, but I couldn't justify spending that much.

I'm starting to build a small live JGB collection on vinyl.  I'm a sucker for Jerry jams.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Yes, if you have them from before the resurgence of vinyl, they are definitely worth some coin.  I love having a few of their records on vinyl, and they've started doing some live stuff now, too, but I couldn't justify spending that much.

I'm starting to build a small live JGB collection on vinyl.  I'm a sucker for Jerry jams.

Jerry’s solo bands were top-notch. In the mid-70s he was playing with Eric Clapton type skills but with a little bit more acid drenched sound.

I saw the Jerry Garcia band a half dozen times between 1988 and 1993. Soulful and sublime.

42 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I was hanging out in BTV when they started and I know I must have seen them at Nectar's at some point, I just don't remember it.  Must have been the 25 cent drafts across the street.

Yeah, I used to go see them when they were playing the club scene in SNE. Then, I sort of lost interest but a Brewer friend of mine used to supply the beer for their backstage parties so I rode his coattails in for a few of their big arena shows.

Their backstage “clinic” was quite the scene to behold.  The piano player and the drummer are nice guys the guitar player and the bass player can kind of be pretentious dicks.

I was backstage at their 20th anniversary show at Boston Garden with a nice beer buzz. I sat my ass down at a table and talked to these two guys for about 20 minutes. My friends were staring at me the whole time and when I got up they asked me if I knew the folks I was talking to. I said no, I was just being friendly and then they informed me that it was Ben Affleck and Owen Wilson. 
When I got home I told my wife and she googled pictures of them and I said yup that was them.  She then called me a pop-culture oblivious dumb ass.  Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Jerry’s solo bands were top-notch. In the mid-70s he was playing with Eric Clapton type skills but with a little bit more acid drenched sound.

I saw the Jerry Garcia band a half dozen times between 1988 and 1993. Soulful and sublime.

This is why I love listening to them.

That's hilarious about Ben and Owen.  I was at that 20th anniversary show myself (which was almost 20 years ago itself!).  Pretty cool you got to see backstage. I can only imagine the sh*tshow it was back then.  Much more tame now as most of them are sober/healthy.  

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Went to the Camp Oswego Phish Festival in July 1999.  Hottest 3 days ever.  Was in the upper 90s.  Good time seeing them, Del McCoury and Son Seals.

A few years before my first show.  Must've been brutal on the tarmac with 0 shade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

This is why I love listening to them.

That's hilarious about Ben and Owen.  I was at that 20th anniversary show myself (which was almost 20 years ago itself!).  Pretty cool you got to see backstage. I can only imagine the sh*tshow it was back then.  Much more tame now as most of them are sober/healthy.  

A few years before my first show.  Must've been brutal on the tarmac with 0 shade.

Was awful.  The mist stations got huge use.  Porta-potties were nasty.  Was too hot to even drink some beer.

• Like 1