Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Over 70 dead in Kentucky. Possibly will go much higher. 
Deadliest year for tornadoes since 2011

I don't see many hyperventilating about the violent tornado drought anymore. 

I'm 100% okay with not issuing nocturnal tornado warnings as part of a routine job duty.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Heartwrenching brutality 

They sent out info to the NWS on crisis counselors, and I get it. When you're in it and issuing warnings there can be a video game aspect where it's not real. Until your shift is over and you see what happened on the ground. It's jarring.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, Pluffmud said:

So horrible that with all our technology available to us that lives are still in danger. The candle factory was operating at the time of the storm with 110 people in there. Why? Wasn’t there warnings issued about the TDS? Just so sad.

American greed. Working 24/7 to boost production ahead of holidays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

13 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:

What a dumb post

12 hours ago, WalpoleJoe said:

I have to agree. Chris gets a mulligan on that, people died, that is the story, We dont need to cast blame, humans really aren't in control, despite the fact we think we are. Bless their families.

56 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Geezus . I mean WTF. People providing for their families is now greed. GTFOH

It is incredibly tragic what happened and I am beyond saddened by the loss of life. WalpoleJoe is correct. Even with all of our advancements in technology and science, we are just dust on the wind in the grand scheme of things.

The original question was "why were they operating?". I had read that the facility had recently switched to operating 24/7 in an effort to boost production ahead of the holidays. I imagine like most businesses, this one had a quota it was driven to achieve, and despite the warnings, perhaps many felt it was worth the risk to make quota. Or perhaps the building didn't have a storm shelter. Maybe "it can't happen to me" syndrome was present. Who knows at this point?

Admittedly, I have a growing frustration with what the holidays have come to represent in our society which was the impetus for the "American Greed" comment. I'm sorry if you are offended. I am frustrated that we as a society now think that the holiday season is now about wealth, objects, and presents. If we as a society would remember what the holidays were originally meant to be about; love, family, and remembrance of whichever religious deity we follow, perhaps the tragedy could have been avoided (at least at the facility).

Our opinions on this tragedy or of each other won't change what happens. All we can do know is pray that those suffering are comforted. If you believe in God, the bible tells us that he is a God of comfort. So pray that the families and friends of those lost will be comforted through their suffering.

I hope that you all have a lovely holiday season and find time to unwind and be in the presence of loved ones and friends. I also hope that we get a blizzard some time soon. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1