joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Anyone live in caribou except moose ?

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

It’s a great lil northern town though. Some really nice folks too. 

I do my snowmobiling in that area and north of there. So if they’re gonna get dumped on on Wednesday, that’s great news for me. Hope it pans out for them. 

image.png.9d24b9413298ccbd3bacf57f02b98206.png

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Anyone live in caribou except moose ?

From 1976 thru October 1985, we lived 45 miles northwest from Caribou.

And the last native caribou in Maine was seen heading north into New Brunswick more than a century ago.  There have been 2 attempts to reintroduce the species into Maine, both unsuccessful.  Caribou re-intros have all failed in places with a deer population, due to a disease that's tolerated by deer and fatal to caribou.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

And the last native caribou in Maine was seen heading north into New Brunswick more than a century ago.  There have been 2 attempts to reintroduce the species into Maine, both unsuccessful.  Caribou re-intros have all failed in places with a deer population, due to a disease that's tolerated by deer and fatal to caribou.

I think its chronic wasting disease.

It's actually a stronger, more evolved sfc system - actually approaching bombogen criteria on this NAM's 18z

Not sure I see less amplitude there - unless some other metrics ?

One thing it is, is more nucleated and concentrating a core.  It's almost like it's maybe confusing this into a TC ...I wonder if the phase diagram/comparison between it and the 12z might show that.

31 minutes ago, tamarack said:

My best friend's daughter is moving to Presque Isle with her boyfriend next summer.  He bought a concrete casting business up there.  You don't hear about too many young people moving in up there.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mreaves said:

My best friend's daughter is moving to Presque Isle with her boyfriend next summer.  He bought a concrete casting business up there.  You don't hear about too many young people moving in up there.

No, Unless you do what he did, There really isn't a lot of industry up there, But there are some that go to UMPI, (universaty of maine presque isle)

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

18z GFS was pretty nice for SNE on Xmas Eve. Nice stripe of 1-2”...prob some lollis to 3” in there with QPF approaching a quarter inch in spots...esp from NE CT over to SE MA. 

Would like to see Euro start getting on board though. 

I thought it actually looked better than 12z here… borderline plowable.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

FWIW fairly large changes in the 18z euro. It's not robust, but some flurries or very light snow now on Friday, and seems like the deal later Christmas would also be a little more south of one extrapolated....but that's not really meaningful to do at this range.

Look at the difference in California at 84 or 90h on the 18z run compared to 12z....that is LOL. You don't typically see the Euro make jumps like that.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Look at the difference in California at 84 or 90h on the 18z run compared to 12z....that is LOL. You don't typically see the Euro make jumps like that.

We’ve seen that quite often since they performed the first upgrade and even more so with 2nd. They royally F’d that model up 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I swear I read an article a few months back, that I had to Google translate from French to English, that Euro upgrades always focus on verifying forecast improvements in the European domain first, even though it’s a global model. I couldn’t find it in my history to repost, so don’t hold me to it - someone with more understanding of modeling software development can feel free to correct that statement.