Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

19 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Euro corrects big now compared to the past. 

Aren’t there massive upgrades coming for models? I know things like quantum computing are on the horizon and certainly, more other kinds of upgrades.

i don’t really honestly know what level of resolution is possible, because obviously a major component to how models work depends completely ON THE DATA YOU FEED IT!!!!!!!!!!! Hehehe So I think you’d need a grid of weather stations on every square foot of land to get to where you can predict 5 days out with the accuracy of today’s 36 hours out. 

Having a weather station every square foot of the land would be awkward and expensive.

8 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

I swear I read an article a few months back, that I had to Google translate from French to English, that Euro upgrades always focus on verifying forecast improvements in the European domain first, even though it’s a global model. I couldn’t find it in my history to repost, so don’t hold me to it - someone with more understanding of modeling software development can feel free to correct that statement.

They admit the upgrade has improvements, but also some degradations...

There are many positive impacts of Cycle 47r3, particularly on upper-air scores and tropical cyclone tracks.

Upper-air geopotential and wind in the first few days of the forecast are significantly improved, by up to a few per cent for the northern hemisphere 500 hPa geopotential anomaly correlation, reducing with lead time. Upper-air winds are particularly improved in the tropics throughout the medium range.

For tropical cyclones, there is a 10% improvement in the track location errors in both HRES and in the ensemble mean of ENS from forecast days 2 to 5. This is a result of the additional observations assimilated in cloudy regions and model changes which improve the steering flow.

The impact of Cycle 47r3 on medium-range near-surface parameters is more mixed. Total precipitation is improved globally in the ENS. There is a small improvement in 2 m temperature in the extratropics, but a small degradation in the tropics. Two-metre dew point, 10 m wind and cloud cover also show small deteriorations. With such a major physics change, it is inevitable that there are some degradations, and these will be the focus of changes in later IFS cycles.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Aren’t there massive upgrades coming for models? I know things like quantum computing are on the horizon and certainly, more other kinds of upgrades.

i don’t really honestly know what level of resolution is possible, because obviously a major component to how models work depends completely ON THE DATA YOU FEED IT!!!!!!!!!!! Hehehe So I think you’d need a grid of weather stations on every square foot of land to get to where you can predict 5 days out with the accuracy of today’s 36 hours out. 

Having a weather station every square foot of the land would be awkward and expensive.

A lot of input is satellite derived now.

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Weather modeling will never get around the quantum uncertainty principle; that is the computational dead end … which means the future emergence at scale will always have some fraction of freedom from prediction. 

Good. Because it is the reason we congregate here. I’ve been doing it for 4-5 years now. Weirdly, I go away in the summer and come back in the winter like a migrating…Reindeer! 

I’m not sure what it is but something is different about the following of summer events. Interior New England gets good storms not unlike Iowa, but both places have lots of moisture and haze in the air.  this was a surprise to me coming from Nevada, where you can see every detail of thunderheads in high resolution crystal clear and that looks beautiful.

out here it’s like the only way you know it’s coming is that it gets a little more dim outside. That and I grew up on a big hill with a panoramic view to see the storms in detail.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

I swear I read an article a few months back, that I had to Google translate from French to English, that Euro upgrades always focus on verifying forecast improvements in the European domain first, even though it’s a global model. I couldn’t find it in my history to repost, so don’t hold me to it - someone with more understanding of modeling software development can feel free to correct that statement.

I was going to ask if we knew it’s scores in Europe. 

11 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Actually, they have snowcover/probably 3-6” on average in most spot. These are from yesterday in Allagash and Fort Kent.  So if they get a good dump on top of that…that’ll be a nice set up. 

3DC8AB8A-6736-4F58-B436-5990EEB94486.jpeg

E6EEE4C1-7F0D-4204-9436-B2428BF11BCF.jpeg

That was from saturday, I wouldn't consider that a snow pack, You will still have objects in the trails exposed, Now after this next one, There will be a pack up there that they can work, You could definitely ride the rail bed in low snow though.

ssm_depth.2021122000.0.800.450._13195.6510._12386.7950.dem.shading.ilm.m.1.0.0.0.0.0.png

legend_ssm_depth_dem_152_402_0_1_0_0_0_0.png

42 minutes ago, eduggs said:

0z NAM is coming in a little sharper/stronger/west of 18z for Wed. I wonder if it can cool the column fast enough for eastern SNE. Looks like it will hit eastern Maine and the Maritimes pretty good.

Certainly doesn’t look enticing on any model at all that I’ve seen up to now. For Wednesday? All the models I’ve seen don’t show any traces of snow anywhere near southern New England. Yet, Mets did discuss the idea on forecast discussion earlier but models no. 

I didn’t see where you are… but yeah, I have assumed CT is not getting anything at all on Wednesday.

5 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Certainly doesn’t look enticing on any model at all that I’ve seen up to now. For Wednesday? All the models I’ve seen don’t show any traces of snow anywhere near southern New England. Yet, Mets did discuss the idea on forecast discussion earlier but models no. 

I didn’t see where you are… but yeah, I have assumed CT is not getting anything at all on Wednesday.

The models have actually shifted quite a bit over the past 3 days, slowly but steadily, from showing nothing to now bringing moderate qpf to eastern maine and just east of SNE. There's very little chance of snow anywhere in SNE. If anything there looks to be a low risk of a little ip or zr mixed with rain showers. It's the sort of thing that is only interesting when there haven't been any good threats on the horizon for a while.

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That was from saturday, I wouldn't consider that a snow pack, You will still have objects in the trails exposed, Now after this next one, There will be a pack up there that they can work, You could definitely ride the rail bed in low snow though.

Yes sir. I guess I meant snowcover.  So they have cover, but yes things are thin and would be exposed. Some clubs rolled some of the trails last week(Red Arrow in St. Agatha did to pack down the snow they had). But ya..if they can pick up 8-10” on top then they’ll groom and work that nicely. 

12 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

NAM is way north for Christmas Eve 

I would say that’s bad but it looks like there isn’t even anything there. 

i don’t know if I’m just doing something wrong or…. But NAM doesn’t show anything even in southern VT/NH. It went so far north it’s in Canada? 

And NAM at that range is not that scary to me 

45 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Always watch these gulf lows. More

often than not they tick west. 

There are quite a few Ens members at 18Z  tucked with Congrats Dendrite death bands.  Some deep lows, anyone notice those TS force winds on the Euro hitting Florida from this storm.  Interesting storm. Wish we had some CP air around.