Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It also didn't quite phase or have the storm as intense on the 22 which is sort of a key thing too. But, I am sort of encouraged to see the other guidance show  some holiday cheer and I'm waiting to see what the EPS does

I'm just exhausted by it all and don't want to look at guidance until after xmas....like 11 SWs all with a very small chance of producing much of any snow for SNE for various reasons.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I have no doubt the season is going to get going, but I am so exhausted by the early portion of this winter.

It's always so easy to get impatient early on (maybe moreso this year given the climo of Nina regimes) but (outside of last winter) how often have we really gotten slammed early in the season? It certainly can happen but like mid-January into March is when we really seem to roll. 

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm just exhausted by it all and don't want to look at guidance until after xmas....like 11 SWs all with a very small chance of producing much of any snow for SNE for various reasons.

Well I think we said anything before Christmas is gravy though and for good reason. At this point, 1-2" would be nice.

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

It's always so easy to get impatient early on (maybe moreso this year given the climo of Nina regimes) but (outside of last winter) how often have we really gotten slammed early in the season? It certainly can happen but like mid-January into March is when we really seem to roll. 

Who said anything about slammed? A single, solitary plowable event would have sufficed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think once we sort of spread the cold more east and south from Canada....fire up the baroclinic zone in the south and southeast...that's when we will have better chances. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Who said anything about slammed? A single, solitary plowable event would have sufficed.

2015-2016 was the last winter where I didn't get at least an advisory level snowfall prior to New Years...you'd have to go back to 2006-2007 for the next one. So it obviously happens, but it's fairly rare. Especially inland. Right on the coast it's a bit more common.

Both of those years I mentioned were El Ninos too. You'd have to go back to 1999-2000 to find one in a neutral or La Nina.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

EPS a little south for Christmas too. Sort of similar trends from the op compared to 00z.That's probably wintry at least near NH border and/or inland. 

Yeah tickled south some...even the mean snow algorithm has N ORH county into the 2" range now. Not that I put much stock into snow algorithms, but having that increase a bit shows the colder solutions becoming a little more numerous.

1 hour ago, Hazey said:

Nope. No Phase = No Bueno. Otherwise it's a southern low with no cold air to work with. It's rain with some catpaws at the beginning and maybe at the end.  I'd rather punt it and save the snow on the ground for Christmas. 

No cold air?. You can clearly see the injection of cold air in Central New Brunswick like I said it wouldn't take much of a shift in the storm track to change this from being rain to snow. 

One thing that is pretty noteworthy moving forward is how much the models pretty much turnover the Arctic and the stratosphere. Models really destroy the SPV over the next few weeks and multiple weak PV lobes just get sprayed everywhere. Also very interesting to see how the pattern actually looks to become more favorable as the NAO/PNA signals sort of weaken a bit.

I think the biggest change though is models eliminate ridging across the Atlantic...I think that's been killing us b/c even with -NAO there have been weaknesses in the height field over eastern Canada and this ATL ridging feeds into the ridging over the Arctic domain and enhances the ridging and expands West. 

• Like 1