Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

12 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I’ve never ever seen anything like it.

It’s impressive but it far from unprecedented.  Remember you have many stations >7k in elevation in the west.  Mammoth Mtn had a 31 foot base by late winter 1977-78.  Oh and sne did quite well at the same time.   Signature 20th century blizzard for Boston to providence.

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It’s impressive but it far from unprecedented.  Remember you have many stations >7k in elevation in the west.  Mammoth Mtn had a 31 foot base by late winter 1977-78.  Oh and sne did quite well at the same time.   Signature 20th century blizzard for Boston to providence.

Mammoth pulled a 545 incher before in a year. Lol Kuchera has about 145 inches there in the next week. Low elevations snows this time as well. 

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

To me the most impressive thing about it are all these model maps I’ve seen covering every square inch of Oregon with snow.

Lowland or sea level PNW snow to boot.

Its incredible how much snow you can get versus how much you usually don’t get most years in those parts.

Strong or multi year la Nina’s do that over there and when I once lived in Seattle it was El Niño, and that year I don’t recall any storm ever getting snow below 3000-4000 feet all winter. Feels like during the 2nd year of a two-year La Niña she really sinks her teeth into things.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Ha good luck NWP for figuring out this s/w cluster eff. Another s/w right after Christmas. 

Look at the H5 map on Xmas Eve and Xmas. That is ridiculous looking. There’s like 6 clusters of energy…more like buckshot. 

Even that solution though gives a bit of front ender snow for Xmas…looks best west and it kind of fizzles a little bit as it heads east. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Starting to wonder if the only way one of these models will ever verify snow coverage is if and only if every last mother fer fully believes otherwise. 

It’s just that this week, the overall changes in temperature and pattern just feels like snow. Moderate snow. I can feel it in my bones. Guaranteed advisory event will happen over Southern and Central New England within 21 days. That’s the best I can promise.

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

GFS actually crunches Xmas Eve south a bit. South of pike special. 

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Look at the H5 map on Xmas Eve and Xmas. That is ridiculous looking. There’s like 6 clusters of energy…more like buckshot. 

Even that solution though gives a bit of front ender snow for Xmas…looks best west and it kind of fizzles a little bit as it heads east. 

Tough forecast...do I take a south porking, or a west porking to follow up last weekend's north-pork :lol:

• Haha 3

You don’t always see pattern changes clear and well defined coming down the pipeline.

They tend to just sneak up on you, by way of filtering through the invisible cracks peppered about what looks like an ongoing and predictable middle range forecast, and then before you know it your long range forecast of endlessly sunny days becomes a parade of aggressive storms.

• Like 3