Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

52 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I just have zero faith in anything on guidance right now....that's why I haven't even blogged about this week yet. So many head fakes this season.

In my 25 years of model watching, I have seen a huge improvement in accuracy, particularly in the medium range. The models have never been this accurate. The problem is we keep looking further and further out and expecting greater and greater forecast precision.pre

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

NAM is funny looking, just picks a cluster of convection and throws a low over it. I doubt it goes that far offshore.

It is funny looking but it might not be far off. 

The main low across FL is quite a bit farther south than forecast models had indicated this would track. For example, TPA has been reporting NE winds since yesterday evening. Models (as late as 12z yesterday) had TPA predominately S winds then becoming NW as the low departed...indicating the sfc low was going to be tracking north of them. 

But it would appear the NAM tracks this sfc low directly off to the NE and probably far enough to limit any phasing. Models initially had this tracking NE just off the GA/SC coast and not hugging the coast but still close enough to the NE coast to get some phasing. 

image.png.24f29840bbecc72c6b0298b15e845bfc.png

Just now, weatherwiz said:

It is funny looking but it might not be far off. 

The main low across FL is quite a bit farther south than forecast models had indicated this would track. For example, TPA has been reporting NE winds since yesterday evening. Models (as late as 12z yesterday) had TPA predominately S winds then becoming NW as the low departed...indicating the sfc low was going to be tracking north of them. 

But it would appear the NAM tracks this sfc low directly off to the NE and probably far enough to limit any phasing. Models initially had this tracking NE just off the GA/SC coast and not hugging the coast but still close enough to the NE coast to get some phasing. 

image.png.24f29840bbecc72c6b0298b15e845bfc.png

Yeah i saw that. I think it should sort of develop and move closer to the baroclinic zone near the coast and move NE. But honestly it doesn't mean anything for me haha. Just something to watch in terms of meteorology I guess.

8 minutes ago, eduggs said:

In my 25 years of model watching, I have seen a huge improvement in accuracy, particularly in the medium range. The models have never been this accurate. The problem is we keep looking further and further out and expecting greater and greater forecast precision.pre

I am talking 3-5 days out....in general models have improved, but they are struggling with this pattern.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I am trying to get you to look on the bright side. Boston may not be good at reporting the weather BUT hey we can all celebrate that Boston only needed SIX more wins to win a WS title...

I though they had a great season...could have won it, but didn't. They are ahead of where most expected them to be...I nailed the regular season, but wasn't sure they would win a round in the PS, but they did.

• Like 2

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yeah i saw that. I think it should sort of develop and move closer to the baroclinic zone near the coast and move NE. But honestly it doesn't mean anything for me haha. Just something to watch in terms of meteorology I guess.

That's what I would figure too. It's not like this is an explosive area of convection either but there might be enough convective processes going on which is completely throwing off the NAM. but the NAM is completely shredding that southern energy apart. 

Seems like there is a bit of a displacement between more favorable ulvl dynamics and where the baroclinic zone exists? but instead of ejecting northeast as a more consolidated system it kinda has the appearance of just an open strung out piece of garbage wave. 

Very weird...I don't think the low ever really materialized. It looks like a hot mess. I was shocked to see the TOR watch when I hoped on this morning. I think there is dry air being wrapped into the low. 

Strange