Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I guess one semi-interesting look the EPS has for Christmas, is the front with low pressure just straddling SNE. Pretty cold north of the boundary. Maybe we get a meso low to tuck in some cold or something like that. 

Or press it south 50-100 miles and it's pretty fun the whole time...some of the other guidance has that.

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again....many of our most prolific stretches have come during -PNA/-NAO patterns.

exactly.  the either-or statements aren't fact-based.  A good pacific is better sometimes, and a good Atlantic at others.  Also depends on where you live, as I look out my window.

Just now, mahk_webstah said:

exactly.  the either-or statements aren't fact-based.  A good pacific is better sometimes, and a good Atlantic at others.  Also depends on where you live, as I look out my window.

-PNA/-NAO can be a high stakes pattern....you can get strong gradients. We talk about great stretches like December 1970, but you go south a bit and there was almost nothing...but on the north side of the mean boundary, it was prolific snows. The NAO migrating west makes me think that over time, the gradients will be pressing south...it starts out kind of north, and then sinks. Going deeper into climo winter will also help as well.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Torched BL on the Nam here, H92 anyways for a time if its even correct, I have my doubts, Its the furthest west of any model right now.

Yup... and to add to that suspicion...   as I have my self warned when not mocking, ...hundreds of times, the NAM has a consummate W-N bias over the western Atlantic beyond 36 ... 48 hours, which this fits squarely into that suspect manifold.

Despite that tho, this southern streamer is a specter that's been on the charts whenever grousing and bad attitude lenses allowed the user to see it... the 22nd system. The question - as Will and I mentioned - was really whether the N-stream would be able to 'dig' more and capture it/ up the phase proficiency.   It's a fast flow - models don't handle the delicate machinery of phasing when hurrying the flow along at ludicrous speeds lol...  ( I think I'm all set and ready to move on with fast atmospheres after the last 10 few years, but I fear it more common than not going forward )

Anyway, the GFS did also bump NW a bit ...clipping eastern zones with 34 F rain drops -

Truth be told, if this thing were to really just come more W and dump heavy, it probably parachutes, but grazing the region in a rotted air mass is the shits.

My guess is mid-week still mostly misses east even though the NAM got precip in here. If that phase had happened much further south, then we would've developed a CCB sooner and you prob would get good interior snows from that track....but when the thing is just trying to phase almost as it reaches you, that's one of the warmest sequences in the storm evolution.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

My guess is mid-week still mostly misses east even though the NAM got precip in here. If that phase had happened much further south, then we would've developed a CCB sooner and you prob would get good interior snows from that track....but when the thing is just trying to phase almost as it reaches you, that's one of the warmest sequences in the storm evolution.

That ..and I was also just mentioning to Dryslot ( I always feel so dirty when I say that person's handle - ) how the NAM has a NW bias in this time-range and track. 

The GFS did sort of coalesce the low sooner and a few clicks west so.. heh, we'll see.    Even in a stale fart air mass, I bet if that came down hard enough it would got slushy parachutes.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You don't have to tell me that. I do wish the RNA wasn't so severe, but it is what it is for now.

Yeah agreed...i don;t love the deep western trouhg, but even years like 1970 had a REALLY deep -PNA and it still worked. So much of it is nuance though.

At least it's way better than a one eyed pig over AK.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You love twisting the needle lol

Heh... 'cept, I don't really feel it's me doing the twisting?

I feel more like an investigative reporter, ...disseminating ironies just comes from honest observation.  

The models are - figuratively of course ... - going out of their way to find a tribe in east Africa and then taking their sandwiches - ..ah, we'd be the tribe in that metaphor.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah agreed...i don;t love the deep western trouhg, but even years like 1970 had a REALLY deep -PNA and it still worked. So much of it is nuance though.

At least it's way better than a one eyed pig over AK.

Wasn't the NAO more easterly based too in 1970-1971? I always get it confused as to whether we want a more easterly/westerly based -NAO and when I play it out by picturing it I always feel like easterly is better b/c it would support more of a trough axis digging just west of us and deeper. But there are instances I think where we've had some decent NAO blocks but end up with ridging under them across the east. 

I wonder how much the AMO influences this. One big differences between the 70's and now is the AMO was heading into the direction of negative during the 60's and was solidly negative in the 70's (and peaked in the early 70's). 

It seems like right now everything is just way too hostel. Both Pacific/Arctic and they're kind of fighting each other. One pattern type is trying to win out and be dominant but there's just too much going on. 

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

does the snow cover help with the BL or is it more about the bigger process/evolution?

It has to do more on phasing, For days it was phasing this over new foundland, Models are try to phase this over SNE in the last few runs, We would need this process to happen further south.