• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SCseminole
    Newest Member
    SCseminole
October Discobs 2021

George BM

You sure? That seems a bit high given the reports from the rest of the region and in your general area.

MG-
My ending guess was definitely high. 3.54” total per my Tempest weather station (no rain bucket).

I’m about 2 miles WSW of Oregon Ridge Park. Once the rain started, it poured here the entire time with a severe t-storm cell directly overhead for about 15-20 minutes. Buckets.

3 hours ago, Jeff B said:

MG-
My ending guess was definitely high. 3.54” total per my Tempest weather station (no rain bucket).

I’m about 2 miles WSW of Oregon Ridge Park. Once the rain started, it poured here the entire time with a severe t-storm cell directly overhead for about 15-20 minutes. Buckets.

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

You sure? That seems a bit high given the reports from the rest of the region and in your general area.

I have a Tempest wx station as well. The haptic rain sensor can have a slight overbias during prolonged heavy rain, and a slight underbias during prolonged drizzle or light rain.

4 hours ago, Jeff B said:

MG-

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I have a Tempest wx station as well. The haptic rain sensor can have a slight overbias during prolonged heavy rain, and a slight underbias during prolonged drizzle or light rain.

Interesting.

Jeff B...by the way, I don't want you to think I was calling you out or anything. I just found it interesting that your totals were significantly higher than those reported on here and in CoCoRaHs. I wonder if the issue that EJ mentioned affected your measurements.

Interesting.
Jeff B...by the way, I don't want you to think I was calling you out or anything. I just found it interesting that your totals were significantly higher than those reported on here and in CoCoRaHs. I wonder if the issue that EJ mentioned affected your measurements.

Didn’t take it that way at all, MG. All good.

EJ, thanks for the heads-up on the Tempest. I didn’t know that about our station. Any suggestions on how to adjust rain totals given its bias during those type of events?

2 hours ago, Jeff B said:

EJ, thanks for the heads-up on the Tempest. I didn’t know that about our station. Any suggestions on how to adjust rain totals given its bias during those type of events?

Contact them, open a ticket with the subject rain gauge accuracy.  They will ask for some information so you can provide readings from a colocated gauge.  I did this over the summer during numerous events and the accuracy has improved from laughable to believable. ;)

20 hours ago, Jeff B said:

Honestly, I don't know. In a situation like that, I incorporate CoCoRahs and doppler estimates. If my rain totals are too high or low, I toss them and use the consensus around me. Keep in mind, this only happens maybe 1 event in 10.

6 hours ago, H2O said:

surprised we don't have more power outages around the area

Friday may be more of a problem.  Similar wind conditions but out of the E or NE and heavy rain with a lot of trees in decent canopy.

It all boils down to how effective your utility plan has been in maintaining trees.  There's a 10' min limit around primary distribution lines for a reason!  A lot of places here maintenance has been quite lackluster and such during heavy rains with just a moderate breeze we have flickering lights and on occasion bright flashes and grunt/boom/humming from said wires.

• mappy unpinned this topic