• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I mean the ground has been like a smelly wet sock for almost 3 months. Anytime we pull some sun and warmth it just evaporates into the low levels and just sits there. Hadley didn’t allow for any real cP airmasses to mix and dry it out so we basically had stagnant swamp conditions from July onward.

Lush lawns all summer long.  Even the few days where it had mild up quite a bit couldn't put a dent it.  Laying some new see today.  'tis the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klw said:

Looks like some storms will be popping up here this afternoon.

Yeah glad to have gotten outdoor time this morning.  Can still see blue sky to the east but it’s now very dark to the west.

Decent shortwave moving through the area.  Lots of Labor Day hikers were heading up the mountain when I left, probably just getting to the ridge line now…they are in for a surprise shortly.

90C08110-6105-4DA5-A18A-18F7A853FD1C.gif.b5e18d4b622cd701e6e0c311c64f50b0.gif

• Like 1

It's interesting how diametrical that impact has been when considering the middle latitude of North America, too -

While we are in some - perhaps - historic warm season rain anomaly, there is a surge in awareness underway in national lime-light media about the dwindling/ .. plausible extinction of the Colorado River.   From economics to sociological ( and their subjectivity of one another ..), to the ecological impacts, how it all relates to CC being of course couched in the science and sentiment of the zeitgeist.. included

I was just looking at the satellite's mid day hi res visible full loop and it is remarkable, that you could leave Des Moines Iowa and travel to San Franciso, ... if you could do it all in one day at 200 mph driving speed ( lol ..) you would never see a single cloud of any categorical type spanning that entire span, nor searching 800 miles in either side of that line... 

You know... I hate to say... the only way to really correct that "geological apocalypse" - as appears to be looming in the near future - is to have us ridge out all winter... Warm and never snow ... or rain much at all, and be balmy.   While a semi permanent trough relentlessly bites into Great Basin region, and siphons off the GW exaggerate PWAT footprint of the total tropospheric miasma, and does what CC does best, in that area - dump their 50 year quota in a single season. 

That's probably what will happen...eventually..  I mean maybe not exactly that way - but...that's what this CC shit was modeled to do, and is proving true:  it corrects violently in huge staggering proportions, then, ... the region beaten within inches of a species diaspora ...certainly stressed, goes the other way for another 4 decades or whatever.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dendrite said:

5th highest with 70+ dews at BDL

7A11C08C-230D-44D1-A0E7-340C74081E3D.jpeg

Can you throw up HVN or BDR?  It's been an incredible summer of dews and heat here on the CT shoreline. The overnight lows and dew's have been nuts here. Everyone around here is installing central air/minisplits as it just doesn't cool off at night like it use to.

13 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Can you throw up HVN or BDR?  It's been an incredible summer of dews and heat here on the CT shoreline. The overnight lows and dew's have been nuts here. Everyone around here is installing central air/minisplits as it just doesn't cool off at night like it use to.

I agree.  Living up here near the MA border and spending regular work time on the shore  the dews have been just nasty near HVN.  Like 86/77 type stuff and then I get home to like 93/ 69 and it feels better, lol.  Even right now the dew is 62 here and 70 at HVN

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Briefly lost power here. Pouring and pretty windy with these cells. No TS though. Just enough to throw a wrench into a bunch of outdoor parties. 

I got .07" with the line of showers and .13" last night.  Took the AC window units out and start cutting down the gardens tomorrow.  Growing season is coming to an end up here.  Still a chance for a hot and humid day or two but the nights are longer and heatwaves don't last.   Early to Mid September has the best COC weather of the year.  No bugs, low humidity with my average temperature  in the low 70's for highs and around 50F for lows

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Briefly lost power here. Pouring and pretty windy with these cells. No TS though. Just enough to throw a wrench into a bunch of outdoor parties. 

Very poorly timed today.  But sun is back out up here and it’s actually really nice out again.

2pm obs at MVL was 58/55 but we rebounding now back to mid-60s.  Stratus showing 0.23”.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Very poorly timed today.  But sun is back out up here and it’s actually really nice out again.

2pm obs at MVL was 58/55 but we rebounding now back to mid-60s.  Stratus showing 0.23”.

I teed off at 4:30 during the clear period and it started raining again right when I was back at my car about half an hour ago. I hemmed and hawed about going to play but glad I snuck it in. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

0.67" TS with some 30+ gusts, only a few leaves down.

Nice!  Good to see a win there.

0.39” in the Stratus here.  Did notice the heavy echoes definitely don’t pack the rain punch they did most of the summer.  Getting those “reds” to move through was like automatic quick 0.50-1.0+” in the humid pattern.  Today it took a couple rounds of high-dbz to get near four tenths.  Rain drops seemed small.

ASOS was 58/54 during +RN and those temps definitely pack a different QPF punch than +RN at 72/68 a week ago.

Super more flooding.

Still have some discrepancy on how quickly the cold front moves
through. Given the deep trough slowly lifting through am thinking
the front will be slowly moving through like depicted by the
UKMET/ECMWF/CMC/ICON guidance. The GFS/NAM are the fastest with
moving the front through. Will be important in how quickly the front
passes through because could have a prolonged heavy rain risk
Wednesday night and especially on Thursday. Wednesday night PWATs
increase to roughly 1.5-1.75" ahead of the incoming front. On
Thursday south-southwesterly flow will advect in 1.75-2" PWATs. This
is AOA the 90th percentile per SPC Sounding climatology for CHH for
this time of year. Given antecedent conditions we can`t handle too
much rainfall, so think there could be a flood risk Wednesday night
and on Thursday. The current WPC Day 3 Excessive Rainfall Outlook
may not be far enough west especially if things continue trending
toward the slower solutions.
  • Confused 1

Low of 53°…nbd but breezy. My 4” and 8” soil temps are down to 63° and 65° respectively though. A couple more weeks and they’ll be down into the 50s and sadly the growing season will be coming to the end. Hopefully we can avoid a freeze this month and pull some late month warmth to extend the season a bit. 

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Certainly no frosts this month in this pattern. Thread title needs to be changed 

Half of the GEFS members bring a potent cold airmass in toward the end of the month. I know you're purposely being a weenie, but you can't rule it out for the rad pits yet. It doesn't take much for CON, ORE, OWD, and Maple Sinks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Half of the GEFS members bring a potent cold airmass in toward the end of the month. I know you're purposely being a weenie, but you can't rule it out for the rad pits yet. It doesn't take much for CON, ORE, OWD, and Maple Sinks.

My garden hopes it stays warm through early October, but it has already hit 46 this month, I suspect I get some frost before the month is over....50.0 this morning

Just now, Spanks45 said:

My garden hopes it stays warm through early October, but it has already hit 46 this month, I suspect I get some frost before the month is over....50.0 this morning

It's been a struggle for my little pawpaw patch this summer with very little new growth. I finally gave in and used some water soluble Jack's citrus FeED (since the asimina family has tropical origins) and they really greened up and over half of them are putting out new growth and leaves. It's late in the season though so I'd like to get another week of growth and then have them harden off before a freeze. At least the root zone must be expanding since they decided to put out new top growth. I'm excited for spring already so I can hit them with this feed right away. It's not organic, but it'll be years before they put out fruit...so I figure 2-3 years of using this to get them established and then we can go with organic methods. Kinda goin lawn thread here, but these plants are late to come out of dormancy and early to go in...it's going to be tough to get ripe fruit up here because of the lack of GDDs, but maybe my hillside can steal me a week on both ends of the season.