• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
IDA remnants-Moderate to isolated Major Impact (esp NJ-LI), general storm total 2-8" rainfall Wednesday-Thursday September 1-2 2021

wdrag

8 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

What’s the gray area mean? (Slightly sarcastic). The Passaic/Pompton/Rockaway, etc. are going to cause problems. 

I would not mind being in the jackpot area with an winter event. I would graciously pass with this event.

Upton upped the QPF a little with their latest map.

35018F65-526E-4BF7-A63C-3B0BBCB45E1C.png

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

So the maximum wind reported with IDA was 172 mph?!  Wow, that was stronger than any gust reported with Laura last year.  What was the sustained wind to go along with that 172 mph gust?

i think i ready the sustained wind in that gust was 149

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

what the heck happened in 1983?

JFK had 5 90+ days in September?  even came close to hitting 100....

Aug 1983 59 degrees...Sept 83...99 degrees

Aug 2007 56 degrees...Sept 83...88...

Aug 1986 50 degrees...Sept 86...89...

Aug 1976 50 degrees...Sept 76...89...

so far this year NYC has yet to see its first 50's so the sky's the limit when it comes to Sept max's this year...

• Thanks 1

Will adjust the title Tuesday morning, by 7AM,  to a MODERATE-isolated MAJOR event. (This isn't Irene Lee but it's going to be a problem storm as  the 18z/30 GEFS continues on course.  Have attached the latest NAEFS and GEFS inputs to river flooding and you can see a probable widespread minor to moderate event is ahead, provided the ensemble guidance is reasonable. Purple indicates potential for a MAJOR flood at that point for that river.  GEFS on top and NAEFS beneath. Added the ARI last, from the afternoon cycle which shows, based on the WPC rainfall itself that this will probably be less than a 5 year recurrence rate (maybe more so ~2 year).  That means nothing when incorporating antecedent ground saturation and stream flow, but rainfall wise... many homeowners with good drainage will say, no big deal. Hopefully they dont have to drive Thursday morning. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 8.52.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 8.51.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 10.52.23 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

extremely rainy and hot year followed by an extremely cold winter.

That was my first winter with a drivers license. I used to borrow dads car after dropping him at the train station. At least once a week I'd leave from there to go skiing rather than to school. I'd drive up to Hunter and ski all day then get back in time to pick him up. I almost missed a few times :o It was a good winter on LI but only in relation to the times, it was an average (which meant pretty good) winter in the Catskills. 

Sorry all for the thread drift...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nycsnow said:

Models also showing some decent winds for us 30-50mph gust with the ground so saturated isn’t gonna take much for some tree damage 

Only the Euro really shows it and I don't buy it because the gradient does not seem to be there.  I think we will be NNE 20G30 Thu aftn and that is probably it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Only the Euro really shows it and I don't buy it because the gradient does not seem to be there.  I think we will be NNE 20G30 Thu aftn and that is probably it

Gfs and icon do have some 40mph gust but it’s weird the way the output is looks like they could be thunderstorms because it’s very spotty??

15 minutes ago, nycsnow said:

Gfs and icon do have some 40mph gust but it’s weird the way the output is looks like they could be thunderstorms because it’s very spotty??

The GFS depiction is realistic more so with the SFC winds and 850-925.  The Euro might be as a result of the system still having tropical characteristics in the upper levels may be trying to blow things up too much once it reaches the coast.  There is not a big high to the NW/N and the low is only 998 or so.  The gradient on the SFC panels just looks phony to me or non realistic, I don't think I have ever seen 925 winds of 50-60kts before in such an unimpressive setup like that so it probably has something to do with the Euro picking up tropical characteristics 

• Like 1

• wdrag changed the title to IDA remnants-Moderate to isolated Major Impact (esp NJ-LI), general storm total 2-8" rainfall Wednesday-Thursday September 1-2 2021
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic