• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
IDA remnants-Moderate to isolated Major Impact (esp NJ-LI), general storm total 2-8" rainfall Wednesday-Thursday September 1-2 2021

wdrag

5 hours ago, wdrag said:

Have to walk the dogs, and so an update of words ~7-730A.  A general moderate impact, possibly spot major (areas of considerable flooding, mayybe pockets of wind/soft ground related power outages??) .

Walt, anything 1" or more should be considered a major event, it's a lot of rain and the ground just can't hold any more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Gfs trended towards the Euro with a more energetic Ida. 

It also shifted north a bit putting us near the warm sector aka the side with heavier winds and severe weather/tornadoes. 

You probably have to be in the warm sector for anything interesting.  You won't see as much rain but you might see a chance of severe weather.  I do not think winds will be a major issue.  Even on the NW side it'll probably be too stable to mix anything between G30-35 down

44 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

You probably have to be in the warm sector for anything interesting.  You won't see as much rain but you might see a chance of severe weather.  I do not think winds will be a major issue.  Even on the NW side it'll probably be too stable to mix anything between G30-35 down

Why is it that these I storms always seem to be so noteworthy.

I named storms are the most retired (11).

44 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

what if it transitions to ET?

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Walt, anything 1" or more should be considered a major event, it's a lot of rain and the ground just can't hold any more.

Thanks.  I think of major in terms of Public impact.  WPC Noon update has widespread 2+. This is not Irene Lee combo.  Someone correct me if I’m wrong.  

The places that exceed 6. will have big problems starting w basin and small stream. We can’t be wrong about Major.  I think that is coming for a few spots but can’t determine for another day.  That would be my take if I were briefing. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Thanks.  I think of major in terms of Public impact.  WPC Noon update has widespread 2+. This is not Irene Lee combo.  Someone correct me if I’m wrong.  

The places that exceed 6. will have big problems starting w basin and small stream. We can’t be wrong about Major.  I think that is coming for a few spots but can’t determine for another day.  That would be my take if I were briefing. 

Walt, is there an actual thing called a "tropical" tornado?  I hear it mentioned often on the weather channel and I just though it's a term they made up just like "superstorm" when they called Sandy that.

I found this page:

https://www.weather.gov/cae/tropicaltornadoes.html

However in the graphs below the word "tropical" is in quotes, making me think that it's just a slang terminology and there is no official definition for "tropical" tornado, just like there isn't for a "superstorm."

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Walt, is there an actual thing called a "tropical" tornado?  I hear it mentioned often on the weather channel and I just though it's a term they made up just like "superstorm" when they called Sandy that.

I found this page:

https://www.weather.gov/cae/tropicaltornadoes.html

However in the graphs below the word "tropical" is in quotes, making me think that it's just a slang terminology and there is no official definition for "tropical" tornado, just like there isn't for a "superstorm."

I’m out of touch w anything on NWS terminology changes 2018 onward. Other than EF2 or bigger I’m of the opinion that big wind is big wind. Many of these wind events are highly concentrated meso or miso scale. Bottom line if you’re in the general warning. No surprises. Just be smart safe.  In advance I know most disagree.  IMO Just too darn hard to get much useful and reliable lead time on the Majority of small hurricane related tors m. Knowing the best 2 hour window of opportunity can be useful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

I’m out of touch w anything on NWS terminology changes 2018 onward. Other than EF2 or bigger I’m of the opinion that big wind is big wind. Many of these wind events are highly concentrated meso or miso scale. Bottom line if you’re in the general warning. No surprises. Just be smart safe.  In advance I know most disagree.  IMO Just too darn hard to get much useful and reliable lead time on the Majority of small hurricane related tors m. Knowing the best 2 hour window of opportunity can be useful.

Hey I agree with you, more terminology merely creates more confusion and it then becomes a distinction without a difference.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wdrag said:

My next more thorough eval at 6A Monday.  Noting the 18z GFS op qpf seems to have a PRE trying to form I76 Tuesday.  I'll be keeping an eye on this.  Doesn't take much to triple the yield in this subtle situation that models tend not to forecast very well. 

48 hr HRRR example for PA PRE? May be starting there???

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 8.38.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 8.42.15 PM.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

35 mph TD as it passes over us and then strengthens back to a 40 mph TS over the Atlantic?

The white circle around the S indicates post-tropical storm not tropical storm. Meaning it won’t be a warm core storm. Still sizable but the terminology can be confusing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoboLeader1 said:

Plenty of uncertainty as to the exact track. Hopefully the heaviest rains will fall south of NYC.

Usually with these if you go more S and E you will be more correct.  Thats not to say you cannot see a 3-4 day track of a remnant tropical end up more N and W but its more frequent the end result is on the S/E side of where models are 3-4 days out

• Like 1

• wdrag changed the title to IDA remnants-Moderate to isolated Major Impact (esp NJ-LI), general storm total 2-8" rainfall Wednesday-Thursday September 1-2 2021
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic