Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 minute ago, Bostonseminole said:

it is interesting data how it divides..

Some of the vaccine hesitancy in the South is from African-Americans, not Trump voters. Meme-tier charts like this never get to that detail...

But I'm not too surprised. The fear over the virus just among people I know went down ideological lines. I didn't know any Trump voters who were double-masked outside and hosing down their groceries with sanitizer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Some of the vaccine hesitancy in the South is from African-Americans, not Trump voters. Meme-tier charts like this never get to that detail...

But I'm not too surprised. The fear over the virus just among people I know went down ideological lines. I didn't know any Trump voters who were double-masked outside and hosing down their groceries with sanitizer.

Even someone with a weaken immune system/Trump supporter? I knew plenty of trump supporters that were paranoid of the virus, even now, but maybe that is the minority.

I'm not saying anything about who is or isn't vaccinated.  It's just mind blowing to me that it falls along party affiliations- just an observation. I don't wish anyone to get sick and die. Again just commenting on how deeply held those beliefs seem to be- that they won't change unless they become personally impacted. Like everything else these days it's all very tribal. It's just interesting- that is all.

• Like 1

Rental car prices are nuts right now.

I finally pulled the trigger on my car rental for my Iceland trip... got hosed due to the supply/demand.

Just for fun I compared a similar trip in some US areas and prices were not as far off as I imagined.

Last year the rental car companies sold off their fleets and have not been able to purchase enough newer vehicles to replace them.

In Florida, people have been renting Home Depot trucks/vans and using those as rental cars to go to Disney etc

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I finally pulled the trigger on my car rental for my Iceland trip... got hosed due to the supply/demand.

Just for fun I compared a similar trip in some US areas and prices were not as far off as I imagined.

Last year the rental car companies sold off their fleets and have not been able to purchase enough newer vehicles to replace them.

In Florida, people have been renting Home Depot trucks/vans and using those as rental cars to go to Disney etc

I had a trip planned to Alaska next month and when I rent to book my rental I had to cancel my flight. The flights from Buffalo to Ancourage were cheaper than I've ever seen, I thought there had to be a catch and there was. It was $3500 for a rental car for 10 days up there, just insanity. They are renting Uhauls up there and using them instead, but with gas so high it would be similar pricing.

Instead I booked a trip to Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming for $1000 for 10 days. Air bnb prices were pretty cheap up there for next month.  2k total for 10 days isn't too bad to explore yellowstone, tetons, and glacier national park. Plan to hike about 100 miles in 10 days up there. Let me know if you have any questions about Iceland, I went there for 2 weeks a couple years ago. Still my favorite trip of all time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I had a trip planned to Alaska next month and when I rent to book my rental I had to cancel my flight. The flights from Buffalo to Ancourage were cheaper than I've ever seen, I thought there had to be a catch and there was. It was $3500 for a rental car for 10 days up there, just insanity. They are renting Uhauls up there and using them instead, but with gas so high it would be similar pricing.

Instead I booked a trip to Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming for $1000 for 10 days. Air bnb prices were pretty cheap up there for next month.  2k total for 10 days isn't too bad to explore yellowstone, tetons, and glacier national park. Plan to hike about 100 miles in 10 days up there. Let me know if you have any questions about Iceland, I went there for 2 weeks a couple years ago. Still my favorite trip of all time. 

Yeah. My aunt goes there (Iceland) quite often and has given us lots of info. Plus we have watched a zillion videos.  Seems pretty easy to do a lot of great things there.   Looking forward to fermented shark

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah. My aunt goes there (Iceland) quite often and has given us lots of info. Plus we have watched a zillion videos.  Seems pretty easy to do a lot of great things there.   Looking forward to fermented shark

Make sure you go to diamond beach for a sunset, and the Snaefelsnes peninsula was incredible. 

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My first thought for my Black Hills/Yellowstone trip was to fly into Rapid City and rent a car.  Ended up driving out because I couldn't stomach the price for a car.  Not sure I made out much better because of extra hotel nights but I like road trips and stopped at other places on the way there and back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Overall prices for mot everything tend to be high in the Nordic countries.  At least you've got a better exchange rate (~125 ISK/dollar, was ~100/1 in 2017) than when we were there.  Dollar 20% stronger but twice the kroner - yeah, soaked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Supernovice said:

I'm not saying anything about who is or isn't vaccinated.  It's just mind blowing to me that it falls along party affiliations- just an observation. I don't wish anyone to get sick and die. Again just commenting on how deeply held those beliefs seem to be- that they won't change unless they become personally impacted. Like everything else these days it's all very tribal. It's just interesting- that is all.

Well unfortunately my wife was raised "vote Democrat". She still wont get vaccine

57 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Woah never seen this wording before 

6AA5B48D-6252-4648-B99C-8BE87A7EEE80.png

About 10 years ago there was a supercell in rural northwest IN that produced softball size hail and winds of 100 mph.  In the same area.  The crop damage was massive and the relatively small number of homes that were affected had a lot of roof/siding/window damage.  I can't even imagine something like that.  It must have felt like a military assault.  Just think about anybody who was caught outside or driving in that.  Must have been scary.

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

About 10 years ago there was a supercell in rural northwest IN that produced softball size hail and winds of 100 mph.  In the same area.  The crop damage was massive and the relatively small number of homes that were affected had a lot of roof/siding/window damage.  I can't even imagine something like that.  It must have felt like a military assault.  Just think about anybody who was caught outside or driving in that.  Must have been scary.

Sometimes I'm a little shocked you never hear stories in the news of people getting seriously hurt or even killed by hail (maybe there are but I just never come across them). But winds that strong blowing those hail stones...can't even imagine. Ive been pelted with 1'' hail before and that hurts :lol: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Sometimes I'm a little shocked you never hear stories in the news of people getting seriously hurt or even killed by hail (maybe there are but I just never come across them). But winds that strong blowing those hail stones...can't even imagine. Ive been pelted with 1'' hail before and that hurts :lol: 

You read that a lot in India and Pakistan unfortunately 

18 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

India/Bangladesh/Pakistan gets unbelievable tornadoes and severe weather. Worth a google 

I am familiar with the fact they get real nasty severe weather(they get crazy EML's) but I have never really looked into it such as videos, setups, etc. I'll take a look!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I am familiar with the fact they get real nasty severe weather(they get crazy EML's) but I have never really looked into it such as videos, setups, etc. I'll take a look!

Don't know if you have seen this before, but check out this sounding from Bangladesh.  The CAPE/shear combo on here would rival anything in the United States.  I have seen observed soundings or forecast soundings with 8000-10000+ J/kg of CAPE (usually in a zone from Nebraska to Illinois, which gets dewpoint assistance from all the crops) but the shear is typically weak.  Having 50 kts of flow at 500 mb along with 9000 J/kg CAPE is insane.

051396skt.jpg.38967d31e41173cd8fa3f9b38ccaa0c7.jpg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, PhineasC said:

This is very true and supported by my friend who is an EM with Jefferson Co in Alabama. That's the Birmingham area, and she said they had to put out a grassroots effort to help persuade a lot of the older AA generations due to their fear of any vaccines after the whole debacle with eugenics back in the 70s and 80s. A lot of them refuse any and all vaccines, which is a dang shame. Those people in the black belt really got F'd over historically, and they still can't recover because of the generational dogma they get put through in the south. Jefferson Co has done a fantastic job on a local basis in getting vaccination support, but outside the urban corridor, it's been very tough. The dynamic of the south is very different from the rest of the country, and living here for 3 years now has shed some light on that, even locally. I've heard derogatory use of the N word more times in 3 years here than I ever have in my 28 years living back in MD. There's a fair amount of openly racist people in this area, including Hispanic males who have some very nasty opinions of AA males for some reason. 

Any who, that's my anecdotal addition to this convo. I wish everyone would get vaxxed who can, but it's their choice. My wife was super high risk for Covid thanks to her myriad of heart issues, so I'm thankful we both were able to get it early on. Was scared Sh**less last year cuz she doesn't even do well with a common cold. I don't want to try Covid. She can't take any meds that can prolong a QT for her heart. That pretty much absolves 90% of the market. We made it though, thankfully. It got wicked scary out here twice.  

• Like 1

Looks like the “scientists” finally acknowledged what every moron redneck anti-vaxxer has known for well over a year: COVID is no more dangerous for kids than the flu. 

Just a sick read:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9769283/Children-face-one-500-000-risk-dying-Covid-amid-row-kids-vaccinated.html

Such a shame what paranoid, selfish adults did to the kids:

“One of the studies is the first to determine the number of children who died from Covid rather than with the virus. It concluded that the virus killed 25 children in England. 

The coronavirus contributed to 0.8 per cent of the 3,105 deaths in children from all causes in the first year of the pandemic. 

During the same period, 124 children died from suicide, while 268 died from trauma, showing that Covid 'is rarely fatal' in children, the researchers said.”

I said a long time ago we needed to separate those who died with the virus from those who died from the virus. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Lol at still posting about COViD even after some folks said to move on.

This thing about the kids really bothered me. It should bother everyone. The way this was handled with kids really sucked, but plenty of folks still want to vax toddlers for their own selfish reasons. Are you one of them?