Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah haven't seen any around here.  Did a lot of errands in BTV the other day and not a one.  Like we talked about before, the last places I saw masks required were gas stations while driving to/from BOS in a couple of the S. NH towns that seemed to just let their mandates be running out and not fighting it.  I think Dendy said Lebanon was the last one in NH to require masks, also happens to be a huge shopping district with box stores and stuff so people noticed.... but that was all city/town gov't stuff not individual businesses.

Tippy's posts is the first I've heard of an actual business doing it on their own.

Went minnie golfing the other day and place was full. No one had masks on except this family of 4 with 2 children. We all outside to. Whatever makes them feel safe.

21 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Are there any businesses actually requiring masks? I haven't seen a one.

Maybe old granny thrift stores run by Karens or woke SJW coffee shops. No places I want to be.

Lol remember when you lectured us all about how people would never stop wearing masks and or going back out into society!? Seems like much ado about nothing from what I see.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wx2fish said:

Of all places the McDonald's up in Lancaster had mask signs last weekend. I was on the back from Pittsburg and didn't even have one, but most people inside weren't wearing one. 

It’s always the places you least expect it, ha.  Guess McDonalds might qualify as a coffee shop though.

I think there are still some places out there with leftover mask signage they haven't bothered to take down. I could also see leaving it up as a liability thing and then not enforcing it. Kinda puts the onus on the customer to read the sign and then choose to ignore it anyway.

The number of businesses turning away customers over masks must be vanishingly small at this point.

1 hour ago, Wmsptwx said:

Lol remember when you lectured us all about how people would never stop wearing masks and or going back out into society!? Seems like much ado about nothing from what I see.

Yeah, I am very happy the sane people won out instead of folks such as yourself. It is a relief, trust me. Restores my faith in humanity a bit, although I'm sure it was mostly an economic decision to suddenly lift all mandates basically overnight. Stay safe out there with Delta and Lambda!

Mask twist:

While we were I Chicago for 6 weeks one of the family members had symptoms of a cold-tested and negative for covid.  The cold spread to about half the family-everyone tested and negative.  So the cold people started masking around other family members especially to protect the oldest.  It was ironic that the only ones masking were known to be covid negative.   Incidentally I’m one of the lucky ones-didn’t get the cold yet despite my wife and daughter having to endure it last week and the week before.  I’m of the belief that if you vaccinate you’re pretty close to having no chance of covid but that’s beside the point of the post.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Mask twist:

While we were I Chicago for 6 weeks one of the family members had symptoms of a cold-tested and negative for covid.  The cold spread to about half the family-everyone tested and negative.  So the cold people started masking around other family members especially to protect the oldest.  It was ironic that the only ones masking were known to be covid negative.   Incidentally I’m one of the lucky ones-didn’t get the cold yet despite my wife and daughter having to endure it last week and the week before.  I’m of the belief that if you vaccinate you’re pretty close to having no chance of covid but that’s beside the point of the post.

The emerging data out of Israel suggests that it may not be close to no chance of developing covid for people who have been vaccinated, once Delta dominates to the point that it almost becomes the only variant in town.  There was a substantial decrease in vaccine efficacy against symptomatic illness from May to June in Israel.  The good news is that the efficacy against severe covid showed barely any drop.  They were the first ones to announce to the world that there was a signal of myocarditis/pericarditis in younger vaccinated people, so I'm going to assume they are on the right track with this analysis too (maybe the exact drop in vaccine efficacy can be debated).  We are not really tracking mild breakthrough covid cases in this country anymore, so who knows what our country's scientists will be able to say about this.

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

Mask twist:

There is a nasty cold going around this area. Both of my kids have had it in the past two weeks.  Both kids chose in their own to wear masks when in public/stores/at work for a few days.   It was sorta weird.  Neither my wife nor I got it.  I had a minor cold a few weeks back but not like what they had. 

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The emerging data out of Israel suggests that it may not be close to no chance of developing covid for people who have been vaccinated, once Delta dominates to the point that it almost becomes the only variant in town.  There was a substantial decrease in vaccine efficacy against symptomatic illness from May to June in Israel.  The good news is that the efficacy against severe covid showed barely any drop.  They were the first ones to announce to the world that there was a signal of myocarditis/pericarditis in younger vaccinated people, so I'm going to assume they are on the right track with this analysis too (maybe the exact drop in vaccine efficacy can be debated).  We are not really tracking mild breakthrough covid cases in this country anymore, so who knows what our country's scientists will be able to say about this.

They also have a lower vaccinated rate than people realize.

8 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

There is a nasty cold going around this area. Both of my kids have had it in the past two weeks.  Both kids chose in their own to wear masks when in public/stores/at work for a few days.   It was sorta weird.  Neither my wife nor I got it.  I had a minor cold a few weeks back but not like what they had. 

My family is currently crushed with the cold. I'm vaccinated. My boys and I covid negative all in rough shape.  My wife who was covid positive is fine. No cold

10 hours ago, Hoosier said:

You should just give yourself COVID and then recover (which will be easy) so it doesn't scare you anymore.

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Definitely a surge of summer colds right now. It passed through the summer camps here in MD over the last few weeks.

Ya same. 2 yr old had it for like 24 hrs but it's hitting the 4 yr old harder.  I am obviously paranoid it's not just a cold but don't want to traumatize the kid either with a nasal swab.  Not sure how knowing it was COVID would change anything anyways. Everyone I talk to says there is a nasty cold going around. We normalize.

21 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

Ya same. 2 yr old had it for like 24 hrs but it's hitting the 4 yr old harder.  I am obviously paranoid it's not just a cold but don't want to traumatize the kid either with a nasal swab.  Not sure how knowing it was COVID would change anything anyways. Everyone I talk to says there is a nasty cold going around. We normalize.

My 5 year old had covid back in April and it was less severe than most colds he has had. We almost never found out but we decided to test him when he complained of a mild headache and had a low grade fever (around 100F) and there had been a couple cases in his daycare. The mild symptoms lasted maybe 2 days. My 2 year old never caught it from him despite us making no attempt to separate them. Guess it's that much harder for a 2 year old to catch it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I notice many more articles in the financial press about the delta variant .

It’s like not only does the fear mongering generate clicks (“it’s Covid on steroids says one expert” , “vaccinated people can still pass it on “  but it’s spooks a lot of older folks 

we're onto the lamda variant now. Keep up:lol:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, PhineasC said:

You should just give yourself COVID and then recover (which will be easy) so it doesn't scare you anymore.

I took every precaution except Texas public schools were open and hard to make 12 year old kids keep masks on.  102F, developed pneumonia, cleared in 2 weeks w/o hospital (ruined Christmas), but I now have tinnitus, which gets better and worse, but never goes away.  I'm 57, maybe you can bug chase if 30, but teachers in my district died, Mrs Beard, 8th grade secretary at my campus, Dueitt MS, died.  Near my age.  Moving to a new district partly because masks and a badly calibrated (unless my average temp is below 96F) only precaution, plus I wanted to teach pre-calc and AP Calc, which 11-14 year old students don't take.

I was in North and South Carolina for about 10 days at the end of June.  What I found interesting when talking with people who live and work in the Myrtle Beach, S.C. and Asheville, N.C. area was that the states were not as "wide open" and hap-hazard as the news media portrayed during the peak covid times.  Business were very in tune with CDC guidelines for mask wearing, and social distancing.  Our visit happened to coincide at a point  when many guidelines were recently lifted.  Many restaurants and other places still had employees wearing masks. 

1 hour ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

I took every precaution except Texas public schools were open and hard to make 12 year old kids keep masks on.  102F, developed pneumonia, cleared in 2 weeks w/o hospital (ruined Christmas), but I now have tinnitus, which gets better and worse, but never goes away.  I'm 57, maybe you can bug chase if 30, but teachers in my district died, Mrs Beard, 8th grade secretary at my campus, Bammel MS, died.  Near my age.  Moving to a new district partly because masks and a badly calibrated (unless my average temp is below 96F) only precaution, plus I wanted to teach pre-calc and AP Calc, which 11-14 year old students don't take.

Sorry to hear that. Stats are what they are, however.

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I notice many more articles in the financial press about the delta variant .

It’s like not only does the fear mongering generate clicks (“it’s Covid on steroids says one expert” , “vaccinated people can still pass it on “  but it’s spooks a lot of older folks 

The media coverage of the variants has been absurd and criminal. I have been telling the Boomers in my family to just turn off the TV. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1