• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

I completely stopped watching any national news agencies in April of last year. Boy, it's refreshing. I make my decisions based on data at hand. It's one of the points of being a meteorologist too. You make a forecast based on a multitude of factors and guidance and not just zeroed into one specific derived outcome. There are several variables that come into play when it comes to making decisions in life. Media is certainly not what it used to be. Propaganda at every turn feasting on human emotion. It's a barbaric practice, but money money money I guess. Oy

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I completely stopped watching any national news agencies in April of last year. Boy, it's refreshing. I make my decisions based on data at hand. It's one of the points of being a meteorologist too. You make a forecast based on a multitude of factors and guidance and not just zeroed into one specific derived outcome. There are several variables that come into play when it comes to making decisions in life. Media is certainly not what it used to be. Propaganda at every turn feasting on human emotion. It's a barbaric practice, but money money money I guess. Oy

I havent watched a local newscast in years.  I sometimes tune into national news here and there but by and large I agree with you.   Most of the information presented is stuff you've heard about/read about earlier in the day....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

That scene always creeped me out. I read somewhere that the actor playing that character actually had stage4/5 cancer at the time ,which contributed to his ghoulish look. 

Yeah someone else earlier said that..I heard that as well. That scene cracks me up now. 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

So now there is this counter--push to disavow the Wuhan Lab/ ... covert bio-toxic weapons program leading to an industrial accidental release scenario -

Okay. 

And round and around we go.

Or you know, the sensible one where they were studying the virus and it got out.  

• Haha 1

Was at the Ortho today getting my elbow staples out and woman next to me was there for her appt. The nurse asked if she was vaxed. Most people would respond yes/no. This woman said "no and don't want it either!". There's strong resistance out there. I think most at this point have made up their mind whether they want the vax or not.

53 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Was at the Ortho today getting my elbow staples out and woman next to me was there for her appt. The nurse asked if she was vaxed. Most people would respond yes/no. This woman said "no and don't want it either!". There's strong resistance out there. I think most at this point have made up their mind whether they want the vax or not.

It has been transformed into a contentious political and personal privacy issue by certain parties (some of whom now want to go door-to-door and read people's text messages over it), so it is no longer a simple answer.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that minorities and young people continue to be a very large percentage of those refusing the vaccine. The precious media would have you believe it is just Trump rednecks saying no. Not true.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I wonder if this headline will get a few clicks

10 children on life support as Mississippi sees surge in delta variant cases

https://www.wapt.com/amp/article/10-children-on-life-support-as-mississippi-sees-surge-in-delta-variant-cases/37010954

Stop pushing this kid stuff here. It's all been debunked. It's incredibly harmful to keep kids terrified, masked, and separated from friends and family.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Stop pushing this kid stuff here. It's all been debunked. It's incredibly harmful to keep kids terrified, masked, and separated from friends and family.

I'm going to assume it's true that there are 10 kids in MS on life support.  It's a low number in an absolute sense, but it surprised me a bit given that children have a very, very low risk of getting so seriously ill from covid.  And it's not like Mississippi has thousands of people in the hospital with covid, so it's 10 out of a relatively low number.  I agree with you about the harmful effects on kids.  I also don't think it's good to have completely intractable thinking on this.  Maybe, just maybe, the delta variant is a bit more dangerous for kids than the wild covid.  If that's the case and if mitigation strategies are relaxed too much in schools, then there's gonna be some issues.

38 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Seems like a valid article - is there evidence that it's bogus, or is it unworthy of note by MS medical folks?  There are a lot of folks saying that the kids are at a risk level above zero but almost indistinguishable from it.  (Excuse the hyperbole.)

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Seems like a valid article - is there evidence that it's bogus, or is it unworthy of note by MS medical folks?  There are a lot of folks saying that the kids are at a risk level above zero but almost indistinguishable from it.  (Excuse the hyperbole.)

I’m not sure why the mods continue to allow COVID discussions here, even in the banter forums.

Everyone feels their opinion is the correct one.

Every time I check in it’s close to going off the rails. Hearing the same stuff over and over isn’t banter at this point.

At least the weather changes…

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

6 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

The Death Cult continues to roll onward throughout the country. Shame on the GOP.

https://twitter.com/scalzi/status/1415035345083764740?s=20

A dumb decision in TN but that's a really wide tar brush to use the term "death cult".  May be satisfying for him to say but it just adds to the unfortunate divisiveness in this country.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

A dumb decision in TN but that's a really wide tar brush to use the term "death cult".  May be satisfying for him to say but it just adds to the unfortunate divisiveness in this country.

Between the way they treat healthcare and covid it's a little out there but not really....  

• Like 2

Just now, bristolri_wx said:

I’m not sure why the mods continue to allow COVID discussions here, even in the banter forums.

Every time I check in it’s close to going off the rails. Hearing the same stuff over and over isn’t banter at this point.

No ones opinion has changed in months, maybe a year.

Then folks who say they’ve turned off the news and no longer pay attention to it seem to know an awful lot about what’s going on and love to share :lol:.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No ones opinion has changed in months, maybe a year.

Then folks who say they’ve turned off the news and no longer pay attention to it seem to know an awful lot about what’s going on and love to share :lol:.

Seriously! In a forum that fully understands the term “regression to the mean”, you think it would apply to topics other than seasonal snowfall. But I digress…

39 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

I have no problem with it. I find more updated news here with links posted than cable news.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Not sure why anyone would? If you don't like it don't read it.

It’s true, don’t have to click on it.  But it’s the same stuff over and over.  It’s more a joke now “we made it a day without COVID disco!”  Then again in the past this thread would move two pages a month, lol.