Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

2 hours ago, Modfan2 said:

Coming north in Sept with friends from FL who have never been to NE; looking for some tips for day trips from ORH area,  can be to S VT, NH, ME might be a stretch. 2 12 year old girls and parents who like historical sites along with breweries. Already planning a day in Boston to do theFreedom Trail and maybe Fenway tour

Any suggestions welcomed 

It's a beautiful drive up RT 122 from Worcester to Franklin Co and then you can take RT 2 to Old Historic Deerfield, great for history buffs. Then drive up to Brattleboro VT,  Whestone Brewery has maybe the best deck in New England it hangs out over the CT River. Brattleboro is a cool little town. You could easily do all of that in a day. 

There are some great breweries in Franklin Co but unfortunately none of them open until 4pm. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I went to the Red Sox game the other day and took the green line from Riverside...I feel like about 20-25% weren’t wearing masks but nobody was enforcing it. 

My guess is they will probably drop the requirements in another month or two assuming there isn’t a big resurgence here. 

9/13/21 is when the CDC order drops for public transit.  Once that order is dropped, local public transit will follow. With cases rising nationally, I expect the CDC order to be extended though. 

11 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It's a beautiful drive up RT 122 from Worcester to Franklin Co and then you can take RT 2 to Old Historic Deerfield, great for history buffs. Then drive up to Brattleboro VT,  Whestone Brewery has maybe the best deck in New England it hangs out over the CT River. Brattleboro is a cool little town. You could easily do all of that in a day. 

There are some great breweries in Franklin Co but unfortunately none of them open until 4pm. 

^^^

You could also do that route but instead of going to Brattleboro do Old Deerfield and then go out to Shelburne Falls or hit the mountain coaster and zip lines at Berkshire East.   N Adams is further but a beautiful drive and Mass MoCa museum is awesome with a great Brewery on campus.

Foliage will be starting to turn up in the hills.

Media and others really pushing the "kids must be vaxed" message now. Looks like some (all?) schools will require vaccination and if you don't, you have to wear a mask. I feel bad for those mask wearers that will be labeled and possibly shamed now, as if kids in school don't have enough to deal with on a social level. I'm pro vax, but for these long term untested vaccines, it should be a choice, which it is (for now), but making kids and their parents decide between getting a vax or wearing a mask for another year or more isn't right.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Modfan2 said:

Coming north in Sept with friends from FL who have never been to NE; looking for some tips for day trips from ORH area,  can be to S VT, NH, ME might be a stretch. 2 12 year old girls and parents who like historical sites along with breweries. Already planning a day in Boston to do theFreedom Trail and maybe Fenway tour

Any suggestions welcomed 

My wife likes the Yankee Candle place in  Deerfield. 

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I figured at a news station there would be cubes like that. What’s your work setup?

So we obviously have a ton of cubicles, but I have a massive desk I only share with one other person in a secluded back corner of the newsroom. You can actually see me on the broadcasts lol.... Corner in back right of this image 

whdh3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We def used to prefer Santa’s Village, although it def is an older feel park. 

Back when Story land was privately owned we felt it was better. As with many things 

I think our days of visiting those parks are done though. Unless grandkids show up someday

Ya my sister and now a co-worker have both gone to storyland this year, said it was poop.  rundown, crowded, no food, closed amusements. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Ya my sister and now a co-worker have both gone to storyland this year, said it was poop.  rundown, crowded, no food, closed amusements. 

So much of the park was closed when we went in early June. The food situation was a ridiculous mess. Santa’s Village was way more efficient in that department. 

2 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

With cases rising nationally, I expect the CDC order to be extended though. 

It'll go up and down forever. It's here to stay. The general public and the public health crowd need to get used to that fact. Incessant testing and reporting positive numbers everyday is counter productive. The guys like Fauci need to level with everyone and tell us we will need to learn to live with it like we do every other disease on the planet and move on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Media and others really pushing the "kids must be vaxed" message now. Looks like some (all?) schools will require vaccination and if you don't, you have to wear a mask. I feel bad for those mask wearers that will be labeled and possibly shamed now, as if kids in school don't have enough to deal with on a social level. I'm pro vax, but for these long term untested vaccines, it should be a choice, which it is (for now), but making kids and their parents decide between getting a vax or wearing a mask for another year or more isn't right.

haven't heard anything like that locally.  in fact, our district said no mask requirement for fall.  said nothing about vax, though.  Don't even have one for elementary age anyways.

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

So much of the park was closed when we went in early June. The food situation was a ridiculous mess. Santa’s Village was way more efficient in that department. 

My guess is that until schools get out they might be short staffed? A lot of the attractions and booths are manned by high school kids.  In the past they had a lot of kids from other countries working at it, but that tailed off about 10 years ago... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

It'll go up and down forever. It's here to stay. The general public and the public health crowd need to get used to that fact. Incessant testing and reporting positive numbers everyday is counter productive. The guys like Fauci need to level with everyone and tell us we will need to learn to live with it like we do every other disease on the planet and move on. 

Cases on the rise down here in FL, but this is like Dec through Mar in the northern states where a lot of people are indoors down here from the heat and afternoon storms. I expect any spike to level out down here in the Sept/Oct time frame

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Cases on the rise down here in FL, but this is like Dec through Mar in the northern states where a lot of people are indoors down here from the heat and afternoon storms. I expect any spike to level out down here in the Sept/Oct time frame

Do flu numbers go up in Florida during the warmer months?    I honestly don't know and am curious