Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I will say again how much I am enjoying my new battery powered mower.   
That thing is the cats meow.  I can do my entire yard and still have almost half a battery charge left

I recently converted from a gas to battery powered weed trimmer (dewalt 20v). After seeing how quiet and easy it is to use..i don't know why I lived without it for so many years. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I recently converted from a gas to battery powered weed trimmer (dewalt 20v). After seeing how quiet and easy it is to use..i don't know why I lived without it for so many years. 

I got an EGo self propelled mower with a 7.5 Ah 56V ARC  lithium battery and fast charger.  So quiet and little maintenance needed.   

I will be getting one of their weed trimmers next year. Maybe the leaf blower too

18 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I got an EGo self propelled mower with a 7.5 Ah 56V ARC  lithium battery and fast charger.  So quiet and little maintenance needed.   

I will be getting one of their weed trimmers next year. Maybe the leaf blower too

Good call. I have an EGo lithium leaf blower as well. Thing is badass. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I will say again how much I am enjoying my new battery powered mower.   
That thing is the cats meow.  I can do my entire yard and still have almost half a battery charge left

It worked for my snow this past winter.  I kick myself for not getting the option that doesn’t force me to do all the pushing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

My Fuking hatred for mice is at top of the list. Good job diagnosing

Our cat has been a mouse destroyer for the 11 years we've had him.  Unfortunately some of the wildlife in the area have been victims too.  No birds that I can remember but chipmunks, moles, voles, a rat once (outside thank god).  He has also almost been done in himself a couple of times.  Once he had what looked like talon holes on either side of his spine.  I think a hawk or something tried grab him.  He's pretty tough.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BrianW said:

Has anyone else ever been stung by a yellow jacket near their eye? Was working on a replacing a rotted window sill while 20 feet up on a ladder.  Opened up a yellow jacket nest while ripping out the rotted sill. I got stung in the face multiple times and the swelling is crazy. I got stung like right near both eyes and they are swollen shut and I can barely see. Does anyone know how long the swelling normally lasts. I have felt fine and my only symptom is the swelling.

Before I met her, my wife was stung in her eye.    30 years later she still feels the effect at times but not because of the sting itself.  When she was stung in the eye, she was driving.  She promptly drove into a telephone pole and went through the windshield.  Her neck and shoulders still get sore leading to headaches.  I think once she hit the pole the sting was no longer the issue.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yes!  I got hit in the forehead between my eyes and the swelling pretty much shut my eyes.  Lasted for a solid 24 hours even with a lot of ice.  And as far as I know I only got hit once but it was a dead center hit between the eyes.

I've been stung many times and never had any issue (got hit almost a dozen times once at the mountain with no issues).  Take one in the forehead and my eyelids swelled so much my eyes could barely open for like a full 24 hours.  It's just a very sensitive area.  My wife couldn't stop laughing after realizing there was no danger.  Looked like I had small balloons inflated around my eyes.

Had zero other issues except just wait for the swelling to go down.  I figured when I woke up the next day it would be gone but apparently sleeping head down increased it a bit.  It wasn't until the following afternoon that it dissipated. 

Exactly what happened to me. One of the stings was right between my eyes. It happened yesterday morning and when I woke up early today it was still bad and I could barely see. Finally this afternoon the swelling is rapidly going down and I am good now. 

Been stung many times but near your eyes is like 10 times the swelling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

you would be amazed at the tight spaces those little f-ers can get into. they can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime. They have no collar bone, so they can get through a hole the diameter of their head.

If there is a hole big enough to insert a common pencil, mice can get in.

• Like 2

If my Husky 353 dies, I'll look into electric saws.  I rarely need to use a chainsaw for more than 10-15 minutes and the battery should easily last longer than that.  When I bought the 353 early in 2008, that was not a real option.  (Long ago - 1950s - my dad had a plug-in electric chainsaw.  It cut only slightly faster than I could chew off the piece of wood.)

IMO, EVs have something of a chicken-egg situation.  Probably a good use of our tax dollars would be to invest in widespread fast-charge sites and retrofitting home entry panels for charging there.  Having a range that would match a full day's driving, say 500+ miles, would also be a good thing for folks with miles to go.  Many people smarter than I are working on such things.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tamarack said:

If my Husky 353 dies, I'll look into electric saws.  I rarely need to use a chainsaw for more than 10-15 minutes and the battery should easily last longer than that.  When I bought the 353 early in 2008, that was not a real option.  (Long ago - 1950s - my dad had a plug-in electric chainsaw.  It cut only slightly faster than I could chew off the piece of wood.)

IMO, EVs have something of a chicken-egg situation.  Probably a good use of our tax dollars would be to invest in widespread fast-charge sites and retrofitting home entry panels for charging there.  Having a range that would match a full day's driving, say 500+ miles, would also be a good thing for folks with miles to go.  Many people smarter than I are working on such things.

I'm more concerned with charge rate than the range.  If the range is only 150 miles but I could re-charge as quickly as I can fill the tank up, I could live with it, provided we could expect range to get better.  

12 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I'm more concerned with charge rate than the range.  If the range is only 150 miles but I could re-charge as quickly as I can fill the tank up, I could live with it, provided we could expect range to get better.  

Though I agree in principle, I think 10-minute recharges are further down the road than 500-mile ranges.  Would not mind being wrong.

14 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

The electric cars are ok . I've Installed dozens of charging stations the past 12 years or so and ridden in a few but nothing beats an  old fashioned muscle car imo . I've had my 87 Modified Buick Grand National 27 years  and every time I smash that gas pedal and hear that turbo whine and  exhaust tone it gets me all giddy inside and makes me feel glad to be alive . Gas powered vehicles will never go away imo. 

I think the production will be banned by 2035 but allowed to be grandfathered in from before. 

I recently watched a video about EVs that was interesting. There was a study that looked at what American car buyers would want before a majority would consider an EV:

1) price under $36000

2) Range of 290 miles

3) ability to charge from almost empty to almost full in 31 minutes or less

We are close but not quite there

2 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I think the production will be banned by 2035 but allowed to be grandfathered in from before. 

I'd guess a decade later if one includes construction and logging equipment but who knows.  And the changeover has to be matched by a stronger grid; the big heatwave out west had CA telling people not to drive their EVs unless absolutely necessary.

20 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

The electric cars are ok . I've Installed dozens of charging stations the past 12 years or so and ridden in a few but nothing beats an  old fashioned muscle car imo . I've had my 87 Modified Buick Grand National 27 years  and every time I smash that gas pedal and hear that turbo whine and  exhaust tone it gets me all giddy inside and makes me feel glad to be alive . Gas powered vehicles will never go away imo. 

Many EVs will beat many muscle cars in a drag race, but the visceral sounds of a throaty V8 cannot be beat 

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

My 10 second Buick is  a V6 B) but you are correct . 0 to 60 times in many electric cars are impressive but silent . Ev's are latteral acceleration like a plane taking off. But so is my 600 Hp turbocharged Buick GN:D. EV's  are a novelty thing to me . I'd never own one but occasional ride in one is neat .

Pics?  Those were beastly

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

If there is a hole big enough to insert a common pencil, mice can get in.

I was sitting on the throne one morning with the door closed, maybe an 1/8 inch space under and I watched a mice crawl under, it saw me and it let out a squeak and slid under the sink vanity with about an 1/8 inch space. They don't need much room at all the squeeze through. It did all this with a piece of cat food in its mouth. When we replaced the vanity a couple years ago there was a pile of cat food in the corner.

2 hours ago, klw said:

Before I met her, my wife was stung in her eye.    30 years later she still feels the effect at times but not because of the sting itself.  When she was stung in the eye, she was driving.  She promptly drove into a telephone pole and went through the windshield.  Her neck and shoulders still get sore leading to headaches.  I think once she hit the pole the sting was no longer the issue.

Danm thats a crazy story.

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Coming next to Florida.  No, just kidding.

Interesting to compare 2 very populated states -- Florida and Texas.  Both in the southern US, but Florida has been seeing a much more dramatic increase in cases.  Florida is actually running a bit ahead of Texas in terms of % vaccinated.  Not sure what's going on.  Perhaps population density explains it a little as Texas is more spread out, but probably some other factors playing a bigger role.

47 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

These articles should Basically read “don’t bother getting the vaccine if you’re on the fence, because you’re still going to be required to wear a mask anyway, and nothing about your life will change in a positive manner”

It's starting to spread more now. Whoever is doing this should be thrown in jail.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

All battery now for all my tools including a chainsaw, won't go back

• Like 1