Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

Just now, SouthCoastMA said:

my company banned the terms 'master' and 'slave' with respect to computers/drives. God I can't wait til these silly games end - problems of progress, and the beginning of the end of western civilization.

Already seeing the term Master Bedroom/Suite being frowned upon being used in my arena. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

my company banned the terms 'master' and 'slave' with respect to computers/drives. God I can't wait til these silly games end - problems of progress, and the beginning of the end of western civilization.

Funny, we still use those terms with certain dimmers and dimming systems. I wonder if Leviton has changed terminology in their directions. Sad, but they probably have...

20 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

It'll go up and down forever. It's here to stay. The general public and the public health crowd need to get used to that fact. Incessant testing and reporting positive numbers everyday is counter productive. The guys like Fauci need to level with everyone and tell us we will need to learn to live with it like we do every other disease on the planet and move on. 

Exactly.   Daily scare headlines won't really have much of an effect as time moves on....

17 hours ago, MJO812 said:

I wouldn't be shocked to see a mask mandate again in Autumn.

certainly possible in some areas

16 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

That shipped sailed. Might be “recommended” but I seriously doubt that comes back as a mandate at the state level. 

I'd bet you see some this winter....

7 hours ago, BrianW said:

Has anyone else ever been stung by a yellow jacket near their eye? Was working on a replacing a rotted window sill while 20 feet up on a ladder.  Opened up a yellow jacket nest while ripping out the rotted sill. I got stung in the face multiple times and the swelling is crazy. I got stung like right near both eyes and they are swollen shut and I can barely see. Does anyone know how long the swelling normally lasts. I have felt fine and my only symptom is the swelling.

Yes!  I got hit in the forehead between my eyes and the swelling pretty much shut my eyes.  Lasted for a solid 24 hours even with a lot of ice.  And as far as I know I only got hit once but it was a dead center hit between the eyes.

I've been stung many times and never had any issue (got hit almost a dozen times once at the mountain with no issues).  Take one in the forehead and my eyelids swelled so much my eyes could barely open for like a full 24 hours.  It's just a very sensitive area.  My wife couldn't stop laughing after realizing there was no danger.  Looked like I had small balloons inflated around my eyes.

Had zero other issues except just wait for the swelling to go down.  I figured when I woke up the next day it would be gone but apparently sleeping head down increased it a bit.  It wasn't until the following afternoon that it dissipated. 

So update on my HVAC. I did a little research and YouTube watching and was led to check the 3 amp fuse inside the furnace. Sure enough, it was burnt out.

So i replaced the thermostat, (wife wanted a new one anyway) with a new programmable one. I then put a new fuse in, and turned everything back on and it blew immediately again.

So I went outside to the AC compressor and took the electrical panel off to find a rather large mice nest. They had chewed through various wires, I’m guessing the recent rains got in and shorted the system. Cut the wires back and re attached them with clean ends, pressed the reset button on the outdoor compressor. Fired everything back up and so far so good. Everything is working.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yes!  I got hit in the forehead between my eyes and the swelling pretty much shut my eyes.  Lasted for a solid 24 hours even with a lot of ice.  And as far as I know I only got hit once but it was a dead center hit between the eyes.

I've been stung many times and never had any issue (got hit almost a dozen times once at the mountain with no issues).  Take one in the forehead and my eyelids swelled so much my eyes could barely open for like a full 24 hours.  It's just a very sensitive area.  My wife couldn't stop laughing after realizing there was no danger.  Looked like I had small balloons inflated around my eyes.

Had zero other issues except just wait for the swelling to go down.  I figured when I woke up the next day it would be gone but apparently sleeping head down increased it a bit.  It wasn't until the following afternoon that it dissipated. 

Pics?

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So update on my HVAC. I did a little research and YouTube watching and was led to check the 3 amp fuse inside the furnace. Sure enough, it was burnt out.

So i replaced the thermostat, (wife wanted a new one anyway) with a new programmable one. I then put a new fuse in, and turned everything back on and it blew immediately again.

So I went outside to the AC compressor and took the electrical panel off to find a rather large mice nest. They had chewed through various wires, I’m guessing the recent rains got in and shorted the system. Cut the wires back and re attached them with clean ends, pressed the reset button on the outdoor compressor. Fired everything back up and so far so good. Everything is working.

My Fuking hatred for mice is at top of the list. Good job diagnosing

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

My Fuking hatred for mice is at top of the list. Good job diagnosing

The worst. I have no idea how they even got in there.

and thanks… YouTube is fantastic for this stuff. Teaching myself how to do a few things and working through this stuff has saved me a good chunk of change even in just the last year.

• Like 2

Some of you know I have coached Women's softball for 20 plus years. Last night my wife had an 845 game, lightning from the Enfield HFD storm was visible.  The umpire wanted to call the game but I objected and showed him the radar,he said well what do you know. I told him I dabbled a bit in weather. He said big deal meteorologists are wrong half the time on the hard calls. I laughed and said hey man play ball. Fast forward 6th inning close play at first, pretty sure she was safe, he called her out. Don't know where it  came from but I yelled yea umpires are like meteorologists they are wrong half the time on tough calls. The place broke out into laughter, he laughed as well. Needless to say no storm came close to the IJD field. As a bonus after the game the league President came up to me to tell me I had been voted by the league women to coach their All Star team. Good night lol

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, BrianW said:

Has anyone else ever been stung by a yellow jacket near their eye? Was working on a replacing a rotted window sill while 20 feet up on a ladder.  Opened up a yellow jacket nest while ripping out the rotted sill. I got stung in the face multiple times and the swelling is crazy. I got stung like right near both eyes and they are swollen shut and I can barely see. Does anyone know how long the swelling normally lasts. I have felt fine and my only symptom is the swelling.

Hopefully better by now.  Benadryl and ice for swelling locally.  We had a guy who got stung in his cornea about 5-6 years ago.  Removing the stinger was not fun!   End result was fine.  Hopefully you are getting there if not all the way yet.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Some of you know I have coached Women's softball for 20 plus years. Last night my wife had an 845 game, lightning from the Enfield HFD storm was visible.  The umpire wanted to call the game but I objected and showed him the radar,he said well what do you know. I told him I dabbled a bit in weather. He said big deal meteorologists are wrong half the time on the hard calls. I laughed and said hey man play ball. Fast forward 6th inning close play at first, pretty sure she was safe, he called her out. Don't know where it  are from but I yelled yea umpires are like meteorologists they wrong half the time on tough calls. The place broke out into laughter, he laughed as well. Needless to say no storm came close to the IJD field. As a bonus after the game the league President came up to me to tell me I had been voted by the league women to coach their All Star team. Good night lol

One of those great moments!   Weenies win!

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Some of you know I have coached Women's softball for 20 plus years. Last night my wife had an 845 game, lightning from the Enfield HFD storm was visible.  The umpire wanted to call the game but I objected and showed him the radar,he said well what do you know. I told him I dabbled a bit in weather. He said big deal meteorologists are wrong half the time on the hard calls. I laughed and said hey man play ball. Fast forward 6th inning close play at first, pretty sure she was safe, he called her out. Don't know where it  are from but I yelled yea umpires are like meteorologists they wrong half the time on tough calls. The place broke out into laughter, he laughed as well. Needless to say no storm came close to the IJD field. As a bonus after the game the league President came up to me to tell me I had been voted by the league women to coach their All Star team. Good night lol

I play on a co-ed beach v-ball league and I could see lightning way to the north as well...amazing how far you can see it...probably 60 miles away 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

and thanks… YouTube is fantastic for this stuff. Teaching myself how to do a few things and working through this stuff has saved me a good chunk of change even in just the last year.

90% of the time fuses blow for a reason always best to check first before replacing a fuse

11 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

those bastards got into our 1957 classic wooden boat few years back. Actually chewed through some of the mahogany and their desert was the boat motor wires. good times fixing that all up

Destroyed the wiring harness on my rider. So many times when I was a firefighter the cause of fire was mice chewing wiring. Again before changing blown fuses check your wiring.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

en suite. And say it with a pretentious French accent

But of course, monsieur!  Merci beaucoup!

I play on a co-ed beach v-ball league and I could see lightning way to the north as well...amazing how far you can see it...probably 60 miles away 

I assume it was after dark.  Some years (30?) ago a co-worker and I were returning from a day in the eastern Maine woods, and at about 10 PM when we turned from Rt 1 in Belfast to Rt3 heading west, we could see flashes in the distance.  Later I learned that it was lightning from the Rangeley area, 100+ miles away.

40 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

you would be amazed at the tight spaces those little f-ers can get into. they can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime. They have no collar bone, so they can get through a hole the diameter of their head.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

But of course, monsieur!  Merci beaucoup!

I assume it was after dark.  Some years (30?) ago a co-worker and I were returning from a day in the eastern Maine woods, and at about 10 PM when we turned from Rt 1 in Belfast to Rt3 heading west, we could see flashes in the distance.  Later I learned that it was lightning from the Rangeley area, 100+ miles away.

I’ve seen aurora masked as lightning.  We were in the Boundary Waters/Quetico in August 1998.   A string of clear warm days with “heat lightning” at night.  Eventually it seemed closer and we were treated to 4 days of full blown northern lights.

• Like 1