Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June, 2021 Discussion

Typhoon Tip

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup. They do not cool at all. You’re just blowing recycled hot air. They act like a dehumidifier. They are cheap and a waste. Why not invest in actual AC units with BTU’s that cool? To each their own I suppose . There’s a reason why they aren’t sold in most places 

So you think portable units don’t have BTU’s that cool? Lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

If you really believed that you’d install mini-splits. 

Mini split is the way to go. I put one in my basement for the boy where he does his gaming. I got a Mr Cool. It comes with a pre charged set of lines, and is really DIY. It runs off 120 volts. You just need to run some power out to the compressor. I did that DIY too, but an electrician can run the power and the mini split solution is for sure an easy install. I did it in about 4 hours start to finish. Works awsome.

I thought about a portable but they’re noisy and the exhaust pipe can’t be over a certain length. Where I would have had to exhaust it was too far. 
I think I paid $1500 for 12,000 BTU. It also works as a heat pump in the winter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

My brother has them, works great.

Window units may be slightly more energy efficient on a btu vs btu basis but I have one portable that cools the entire 1200sq ft first floor and 2 smaller units on the opposite ends of the house that cool the upstairs. Ive done this the past two summers vs one summer of window units and the cost and cooling is comparable. Just easier and less messy to use portables imo. 

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Window units may be slightly more energy efficient on a btu vs btu basis but I have one portable that cools the entire 1200sq ft first floor and 2 smaller units on the opposite ends of the house that cool the upstairs. Ive done this the past two summers vs one summer of window units and the cost and cooling is comparable. Just easier and less messy to use portables imo. 

I lived in a roach infested apartment in Boston back in the early 90’s with no AC and no way to use even a window unit. I sweated my ass off with a box fan for 3 summers. After I moved, I never was without central air. Flip a switch. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I lived in a roach infested apartment in Boston back in the early 90’s with no AC and no way to use even a window unit. I sweated my ass off with a box fan for 3 summers. After I moved, I never was without central air. Flip a switch. 

This is our last summer without central air. Actually, Aug 1st we’ll have it if everything goes as planned. I was surprised how many new-ish homes in the region don’t have it when I moved up to CT 10 years ago. Even if only for 2-3 months, it just makes sense. 

Sweating in a roach infested city apartment though with nothing but a fan...I’d rather just sleep on a park bench instead. I did live in a someone’s basement in France in 1983 for 2yrs which had a rat problem...but I was too young to remember.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Mini split is the way to go. I put one in my basement for the boy where he does his gaming. I got a Mr Cool. It comes with a pre charged set of lines, and is really DIY. It runs off 120 volts. You just need to run some power out to the compressor. I did that DIY too, but an electrician can run the power and the mini split solution is for sure an easy install. I did it in about 4 hours start to finish. Works awsome.

I thought about a portable but they’re noisy and the exhaust pipe can’t be over a certain length. Where I would have had to exhaust it was too far. 
I think I paid $1500 for 12,000 BTU. It also works as a heat pump in the winter.

The Mr Cool units are great and even Costco sells them now. I have solar and converted my house to use 2 hyper heat mini splits as my main source of heat and cooling year round 2 years ago. I monitor my electricity consumption including the mini splits and its mind blowing how little power they use. One of my mini splits has a 42 seer cooling rating. Most residential central air units are 16 seer and portable/window units are usually 10 or less. I just compared specs and my mini split is 9 times more efficient than  most portable ac units. If I had to pay for the electricity they cost me around 20$ a month to run both in the summer. I leave them on basically 24/7 as mini splits are designed to run continuously at low speed.

All the New England states have some great state rebate incentives on mini splits. They are usually around $1500+ per unit. If you have hot water heat and no ducts they are great. You also get efficient heat from them as well. 

Americans are so far behind on efficient heating cooling. In Asia and parts of Europe 80% of homes are using them.

8 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:

Hope everyone installed.  And not a little portable A/C lol

DSee the source image

Dear Mr Torch Kitten,

First  I want to thank you for sharing your extensive knowledge of AC units with the rest of us. It is really cool of you to do so. ....I took your advice and  had an AC unit installed  similar to the one pictured below. I was also worried about the dog so I had an AC unit installed in the doghouse....do you think I made the right selections to wade off the predicted 300 degree temps and the 200 degree DP's???

See the source image

image.jpeg.7e59602e7b692b9407115612f0f017b3.jpeg

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup. They do not cool at all. You’re just blowing recycled hot air. They act like a dehumidifier. They are cheap and a waste. Why not invest in actual AC units with BTU’s that cool? To each their own I suppose . There’s a reason why they aren’t sold in most places 

ok now you are just flat out lying:

172 results: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Venting-Cooling-Air-Conditioners-Portable-Air-Conditioners/N-5yc1vZc4m4/Ntk-EnrichedProductInfo/Ntt-portable+airconditioner?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5&visNavSearch=portable airconditioner

157 results: https://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=portable+air+conditioner&category=0|All|matchallpartial|all+categories&tref=typeahead|term|0|portable+air+conditioner||||service|10|2|0|spellcorrect&searchRawTerm=portable+ai

580 results: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=portable air conditioner&typeahead=portable ai

105 results: https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=portable air conditioners

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Mentally preparing for the heat coming up.  I think we hit 90F at least twice in the NNE valley ASOS spots.

For now enjoying a COC evening.  The only problem is the black flies after the cold weekend have been programmed to super aggressive attack mode.  Flesh eaters.

4 stages of black fly season:
--Checking the menu - they're irritating and flying into eyes and ears, but not biting.
--Early meals - the critters walk around on one and if left alone long enough, will take a bite.
--Peak season - Swarms of flies that get down to business soon after landing; tops for blood donation.
--Late season - Not as many black flies but those still around dive in teeth-first.

I'm glad not to be living 50-70 miles north of BGR in the region where the Mattawamkeag meets the Penobscot.  There are black fly species there that continue to suck blood all summer, rather than turning the day shift over to the deerflies.

• Haha 1

Just walked to 7/11 already a ton of traffic out and thought it was pointless to drive.. I'm soaked just walking there and back from the hotel.. HOW DO PEOPLE LIKE THIS CRAP!? sea world should be fun today hope we get a good storm down here today chances look good..

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

I am still really liking that June 10-14 period for severe weather...maybe a setup that would yield a higher end threat too. Nothing screams EML advection but the pattern evolution could certainly throw an EML plume our way. Things get very dicey though when you're just getting plumes of EML thrown your way b/c then it's really all about timing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

10 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Ugh....those are the most wretched.  A ball cap is a must walking around when they're out.

I despise hats when it's warm/hot - uncomfortable, and when bushwhacking thru the Maine puckerbrush the hat would get knocked off about once per dozen steps.  Every deerfly in northern Maine knows that the whorl toward the back of one's head is ground zero, and when I'd smack one there all her friends would come to the funeral, and of course would expect a meal.  In those woods there's also a non-biting fly, like a 90% scale housefly, that I call a sweat-licker.  Having a couple hundred of those circling along with 50 deerflies is the nearest thing ever to chasing me back to the pickup.  They all look alike when flying and one cannot tell which ones are carrying butcher knives.
(Note:  I accidently found that deerflies tend to key on movement and lose interest if one stands still, kind of like T-Rex in "Jurassic Park" - feels like similar dental equipment too, on a much smaller scale.)

• Thanks 1

But this sucks next week will be like mid-June and really after mid-July the likelihood for widespread severe threats or potential tends to drop off. Sure we can get some nice/big events into August but they aren't as likely as earlier in the season. And forget moving to the Plains or even going chasing in the Plains...Tornado Ally has and is shifting farther East...who knows, maybe in 15-20 years it will be across the East. Everything is becoming ridiculous 

36 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Just walked to 7/11 already a ton of traffic out and thought it was pointless to drive.. I'm soaked just walking there and back from the hotel.. HOW DO PEOPLE LIKE THIS CRAP!? sea world should be fun today hope we get a good storm down here today chances look good..

It’s not even that humid or hot

Planning on going away next Friday . Seems like the cooler air unfortunately maybe moving in later Friday and Saturday . 

Haven’t decided where in New England but I can say Newport hotel prices are ridiculous this year as is Omni MT. Washington . Looks like Stowe or maybe was gonna check out Sunday River main lodge as they have a nice outdoor heated pool last time I was there .

35 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

But this sucks next week will be like mid-June and really after mid-July the likelihood for widespread severe threats or potential tends to drop off. Sure we can get some nice/big events into August but they aren't as likely as earlier in the season. And forget moving to the Plains or even going chasing in the Plains...Tornado Ally has and is shifting farther East...who knows, maybe in 15-20 years it will be across the East. Everything is becoming ridiculous 

I remember growing up August was full of severe weather events (not even including the tropical variety) so we are way overdue for an active August.. I liken it almost to how March was so mediocre  for snowfall for about a decade and that recently changed a bit 

1 minute ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I remember growing up August was full of severe weather events (not even including the tropical variety) we are way overdue for an active August almost how March was so inactive for snowfall for about a decade 

I do remember this as well (like in the 90's). That was a decade where it seemed we would get nasty squall lines each summer...like the type of lines that went from Maine through PA. I used to get pissed too because they would ALWAYS without fail die as soon as they got into western Connecticut. I remember people telling me we didn't get severe weather or tornadoes because of the hills and then the stuff about Long Island Sound killing storms. I always thought both those were crap. Don't get me wrong...Long Island does hinder things with sea-breeze BUT I think the overall killer with squall line setups anyways is the line of thunderstorms outrun the better upper support and forcing. 

24 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Planning on going away next Friday . Seems like the cooler air unfortunately maybe moving in later Friday and Saturday . 

Haven’t decided where in New England but I can say Newport hotel prices are ridiculous this year as is Omni MT. Washington . Looks like Stowe or maybe was gonna check out Sunday River main lodge as they have a nice outdoor heated pool last time I was there .

Doesn’t look much cooler. Might be more of dew down from 70+ to 60. 850’s aren’t that much cooler on the ens

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I do remember this as well (like in the 90's). That was a decade where it seemed we would get nasty squall lines each summer...like the type of lines that went from Maine through PA. I used to get pissed too because they would ALWAYS without fail die as soon as they got into western Connecticut. I remember people telling me we didn't get severe weather or tornadoes because of the hills and then the stuff about Long Island Sound killing storms. I always thought both those were crap. Don't get me wrong...Long Island does hinder things with sea-breeze BUT I think the overall killer with squall line setups anyways is the line of thunderstorms outrun the better upper support and forcing. 

A good book title for an aspiring weather author might be “A thousand reasons to fail: thunderstorms in SNE” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Disappointed with severe season? In other news, my randevu with gonorrhea left a bit to be desired.

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

This isn't the same look at all. Something got into the works here to really change the complexion just enough.  The impressive ridge signal, the one containing +20C 850 mb parcels embedded in 19C from MI to N. VT/ME?  Gone, and all that.  Monday through Wednesday has gotten shirked by these very recent trends - and it's in all guidance... 

An above normal period was always the higher confidence aspect - as is usually the case.  Temperature is very fragile aspect to maintain in model handling. Throw in that we were asking them to do so from D9 ..meh.   Even at 4 days out in time and space, it is ( say ) easier to ruin a 100 F, or even just 95 really, than it is to fumble around and miss a 12" snow event. 

So it looks like a middling heat wave at best, nested in a period of above normal temperatures. Could be 87-91.  I don't even think the highest heat looks N anymore, not sure tho. 

The upshot is that there could be more TCU/ photogenic convection, because the "cap" of the ridging is weaker,  less CIN when it's just above normal heights, and not an actually 'heat dome' - such that the models are leaning previously.  

I'm not sure it's warm all week frankly, btw.  I could see this Wednesday at about 14z, a north-door or backdoor front does the old slamming screen doors with flags snapping in 28 kt NE gust drilling at first a refreshing ahh air mass. But three hours later, not so ahh. More like ew, 'what is it 49 F,'  under an abyssal gray sky so slate its like staring into infinity.  Meanwhile it's 94 NYC; but even there the BD cuts in, and probably terminates in southern NJ. That's like 6 or 7 isohypses compression aligning from N Ontario to NS. I'm not thinking we should trust any model to just hold that flow like that without sending a veritable p-wave off backdoor bomb blast all the way to Atlantic GA. 

EDIT: Actually using the Euro, I guess Monday still as a sneaking snipped of 850 layer/EML in there. Didn't see that, but seems to time wrong - 12z, the plume is escaping out of Maine.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Disappointed with severe season? In other news, my randevu with gonorrhea left a bit to be desired.

the severe threat is really just secondary. All I really want is just active summer in terms of thunderstorms...thunderstorms which offer nice shelf clouds and lots of lightning. If there happens to be hail or high winds...that's just a bonus. Although internal moisture does increase when thinking and hoping for these phenomena 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

the severe threat is really just secondary. All I really want is just active summer in terms of thunderstorms...thunderstorms which offer nice shelf clouds and lots of lightning. If there happens to be hail or high winds...that's just a bonus. Although internal moisture does increase when thinking and hoping for these phenomena 

Still a long shot any given season.