Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June, 2021 Discussion

Typhoon Tip

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday next week are full on torch at 12z Euro.

24 hour maxes each day:

EC0AD36F-E355-4D1F-AEBA-B2313BB7F3F5.thumb.png.45939ef2c1627090f217ecceab9b6237.png2E4AADFF-3EB6-4BB6-B541-128445C7184F.thumb.png.1851f2145518bc74ac38d28a9f9460f1.png964788B7-718A-4442-BED1-456616DB216A.thumb.png.6ad0ca71ab3abe5b2ab72473d4ace57b.png

A bit of bunner comment incoming but heh,  my experience with Euro 2-m Ts, they tend to be under done in that range, relative to synoptics being handled.  That look probably ends up verifying 1 to 2 ticks more aggravated in the 850, and the potential 2-m won't reflect until we're perhaps < 4 days.

If this trend continues to unfold this way and goes on and verifies, I'd almost be surprised if KFIT stuck at 93 ... not with dem parametrics.  That has a west wind Boston urban heat bum pointing and squeezing one off right at Logan look man -... 101.1 !

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Whoa!!!’ Record brown outs?

It's too early for folks to "take it seriously" 

Particular for dealing with temperature extreme -type siggy weather events, they are fragile.  Get this to Wednesday's cycling of models, and this looks as impressive or even if trend continues - yeah, we'll probably start seeing a throttle in PSA.  I mean, a cyclone is way more immovable in the charts than a either cold or hot waves?  

Think about it, we focus on details of the cyclone in the winter.  Who gets what and how much, and those attributes do move around quite a bit, guidance to guidance, run time to run time, etc.  But the cyclone, as an overall entity, is much harder to completely dissolve - unless it is the GFS model ( :wacko2: )

But the over arcing synopsis leading to delivering historic cold, or heat, mm.  I mean you change one contributing crucial jet configuration and the air mass cuts back from the extremeness almost immediately.  Probably because when we are pressing events against the ceiling of what Earth can do, the only other way is some form of destructive interference and on and so on.

But the areal coverage of that synoptical heat is truly awesome.   This may broil the Dakotas to the Lakes to NE/MA back through the lower OV to MV for days. To mention southern tier of the Canadian southern Provinces... I mean it could be 94 at the southern tip of JB, 97 at BTV and 95 at Boston at apex or something.  If that happens ( and as I mentioning PF, if anything 2-m are tended a bit shy at this range for whatever reason notwithstandng ) then the grid may begin to waver some. There's been a lot of upgrades and improvements to the grid in the last 20 years.  We have to consider that all those wind farms and solar parks do add quite a bit of back up to the system ... I mean on the order of 11% as of last look-up, but it may be more than than that by now.  At some point that may also offset uneven load balancing.

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Particular for dealing with temperature extreme -type siggy weather events, they are fragile.  Get is to this Wednesday's cycling of models, and this looks as impressive or even if trend continues - yeah, we'll probably start seeing a throttle in PA.  I mean, a cyclone is way more immovable in the charts than a either cold or hot waves?  

Think about it, we focus on details of the cyclone in the winter.  Who gets what and how much, and those attributes do move around quite a bit, guidance to guidance, run time to run time, etc.  But the cyclone, as an overall entity, is much harder to completely dissolve - unless it is the GFS model ( :wacko2: )

But the over arcing synopsis leading to delivering historic cold, or heat, mm.  I mean you change one contributing crucial jet configuration and the air mass cuts back from the extremeness almost immediately.  Probably because when we are pressing events against the ceiling of what Earth can do, the only other way is some form of destructive interference and on and so on.

But the areal coverage of that synoptical heat is truly awesome.   This may broil the Dakotas to the Lakes to NE/MA back through the lower OV to MV for days. To mention southern tier of the Canadian southern Providences... I mean it could 94 at the southern tip of JB, 97 at BTV and 95 at Boston at apex or something.  If that happens ( and as I mentioning PF, if anything 2-m are tended a bit shy at this range for whatever reason notwithstandng ) then the grid may begin to waver some. There's been a lot of upgrades and improvements to the grid in the last 20 years.  We have to consider that all those wind farms and solar parks do add quite a bit of back up to the system ... I mean on the order of 11% as of last look-up, but it may be more than than that by now.  At some point that may also offset uneven load balancing.

Part of that area has been pretty dry (for instance, it is the 3rd driest meteorological Spring on record for Chicago) which could enhance the heat a little more in some areas.  That heat will also accelerate the dry out.

20210525_usdm.thumb.jpg.e8930f6e77791c4dd57e12bb735e9735.jpg

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Part of that area has been pretty dry (for instance, it is the 3rd driest meteorological Spring on record for Chicago) which could enhance the heat a little more in some areas.  That heat will also accelerate the dry out.

1930s did that. Not saying that's now - but there been research/reanalysis on that stretch of inferno summers and that aspect of a dry decadal land feedbacks lending

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Correct, this house does not have it. It's usually fine. The evenings when it is 70+ degrees at 9:00 PM with 80%+ humidity are pretty bad, though. Luckily, that is fairly rare here.

Window unit .

You will have 10-15 of those nites when your sweating balls at nite and 100$ unit will eliminate that and the suffering . 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Window unit .

You will have 10-15 of those nites when your sweating balls at nite and 100$ unit will eliminate that and the suffering . 

I have a portable unit on wheels I can use in the bedroom. I exhaust it through an old drier vent line in the bedroom. The windows are crank-out type so not as simple as putting in window units. We didn’t consider this an issue when we bought the house because we planned to not be here much in the summers. We can just leave if it gets too hot. 

43 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I have a portable unit on wheels I can use in the bedroom. I exhaust it through an old drier vent line in the bedroom. The windows are crank-out type so not as simple as putting in window units. We didn’t consider this an issue when we bought the house because we planned to not be here much in the summers. We can just leave if it gets too hot. 

Leaving BML for BWI to escape the heat. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I don’t know if it’s purely anecdotal but I feel like I’ve wanted better AC the past few summers in a row up here.  Like 10 years ago it didn’t seem that bad, but again this is likely all in my head.  We would go summers without hitting 90F, now we hit it in May, lol.

There was one beautiful summer maybe 5 years ago with no humidity... tons of mins in the 40s all summer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Leaving BML for BWI to escape the heat. :lol:

The heat has been the most surprising thing to me so far. Second to that is that the cold in the winter hasn’t been impressive. Just one summer and winter under the belt though so I’m sure things can be very different some years. I will say the shoulder seasons are far more fearsome here than down south. November and April can bite. 

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Particular for dealing with temperature extreme -type siggy weather events, they are fragile.  Get this to Wednesday's cycling of models, and this looks as impressive or even if trend continues - yeah, we'll probably start seeing a throttle in PSA.  I mean, a cyclone is way more immovable in the charts than a either cold or hot waves?  

But the areal coverage of that synoptical heat is truly awesome.   This may broil the Dakotas to the Lakes to NE/MA back through the lower OV to MV for days. To mention southern tier of the Canadian southern Provinces... I mean it could be 94 at the southern tip of JB, 97 at BTV and 95 at Boston at apex or something.  If that happens ( and as I mentioning PF, if anything 2-m are tended a bit shy at this range for whatever reason notwithstandng ) then the grid may begin to waver some. There's been a lot of upgrades and improvements to the grid in the last 20 years.  We have to consider that all those wind farms and solar parks do add quite a bit of back up to the system ... I mean on the order of 11% as of last look-up, but it may be more than than that by now.  At some point that may also offset uneven load balancing.

There’s going to be huge grid issues nationally 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

There was a period in very early Feb when the snow had overwhelmed me and I was crying uncle. The NNE crew remembers. LOL so many decks to clear.

If that had kept up, I would have been buried literally and figuratively. The retention here is next-level. But we went into desert mode and it didn’t snow again in a big way until mid-April. 

46 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The heat has been the most surprising thing to me so far. Second to that is that the cold in the winter hasn’t been impressive. Just one summer and winter under the belt though so I’m sure things can be very different some years. I will say the shoulder seasons are far more fearsome here than down south. November and April can bite. 

The last two winters have lacked any real cold compared to a typical year.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

What is this little finger of shit on radar hitting NNH now? Back down to 46 with mod rain. 

Deform band type stuff or upper level low attributed.  It's been curling through NVT and into your neck of the woods.  We just cleared out before sunset but it was wet this afternoon.  All the echoes were going SE to NW and then just reversed course and started coming back from the other direction :lol:.  Good in the winter, ha.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Deform band type stuff or upper level low attributed.  It's been curling through NVT and into your neck of the woods.  We just cleared out before sunset but it was wet this afternoon.  All the echoes were going SE to NW and then just reversed course and started coming back from the other direction :lol:.  Good in the winter, ha.

I was just thinking how awesome this radar would be in winter. Heaviest rain of the entire event right now. 

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I was just thinking how awesome this radar would be in winter. Heaviest rain of the entire event right now. 

Ha yeah, the classic switch probably with the wind flow too.  Maybe it was a little blocked/shadowed from the south too, but now that the flow is coming from the north into the Presidentials, it's much more efficient at precipitating.

tomorrow is going to be like stepping of an airplane, having left a cold corpse’s rectum, and landing instantly within paradise.

Looking at the data if anything it should bust cool machine guidance 1 or 2 and probably be 81 around here ...with light wind and almost open sky

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

BML had 10 days of 92F+ in the 2004-2019 period and last year they had 5 alone. Temp wise it's just been a lousy stretch if you want cold.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Today’s forecasted sun already stolen by clouds that stretch back to the lakes 

Yesterday was an overcast day here in Chicago but it cleared after dark and today promises to be the beginning of the climb up to heat.  But even with an overcast day it was hovering around 70 yesterday afternoon which will likely happen in sne as well I would think.

Just now, weathafella said:

Yesterday was an overcast day here in Chicago but it cleared after dark and today promises to be the beginning of the climb up to heat.  But even with an overcast day it was hovering around 70 yesterday afternoon which will likely happen in sne as well I would think.

BOS forecasted to push 80F today despite the clouds.