Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2021 Discussion

weatherwiz

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Seems like one of those deals where once the sun gets high enough it burns some of that mid level stuff away . You can already see a bunch of breaks. So maybe it averages out partly sunny by afternoon. Gotta be a reason why hi res all showing 88-91

Already starting here.

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Seems like one of those deals where once the sun gets high enough it burns some of that mid level stuff away . You can already see a bunch of breaks. So maybe it averages out partly sunny by afternoon. Gotta be a reason why hi res all showing 88-91

Sun doesn’t really burn off mid level stuff. It’s gonna need to break up to be 90. It will be warm regardless. 

53 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Memorial Day Weekend looking a lot more like Easter weekend on guidance. Euro conceding to the much colder and wetter gfs.

Big changes needed to turn that around.

Mm... at 168 - 216 hours out in time,  'big changes' is a relative phrase, I suppose -

Short version: Personally, there is no way I can trust the models are capable of handling those delicate features and their evolution, through that deep period of time - .

Longer version/angry rant:  It can happen.  But first off, in a more operations sense ...about 3/4 of the GEFs 00z individual members do not support that operational GFS's pessimism with the same dogged determination as though NCEP ( as usual by the way...) is seemingly actually parameterizing its model to rasp heights toward cold February beyond 3 days always regardless of Celestial mechanics.

- tfwiw...

Imho, it wouldn't take "big changes" because the features being toted along by the Euro/GGEM blend ( with the GFS along for the ride as circus clown..) are very fragile from what I'm seeing.  They carry just a single closed contoured feature through a nebular gradient, and use said weak entity to impact all this wet havoc along the I-95 to corridor from roughly Jersey to Maine...   Heh - I'm not sure I buy that.

It just looks disproportionately violently forcing for such a weak impulse.  But also the bigger coup de gras for me is that ... normal vicissitudes of chaos vs model skill?  in order for the runs to maintain fragile structures out in time, requires that their skill at predicting/emerging nuance proportionally drop down to a discrete level where they are just not capable of performing. I mean, in this case ..that 570 dm single closed contour sneaking along at this range is like tethering a butterfly at the end of a thousand mile quantum thread. It's likely to have a bit of an uncertainty trajectory at the end of that string. 

That's why big huge historic events of any kind show up in models early, is because their physical presence in the atmosphere are that dominating; so that they can absorb chaotic influences emerging along a normal constructive and destructive sea of influences.  

It's getting philosophical and unlikely to be read do to word count meets with the shimmering virtuosity of Twit-western Civility ... but, I've often thought that every event that emerges in the deeper time ranges of these guidance ...all have an acceleration potential.  But predicting the "destructive" nuances, culminating over time, and whether they will out-weigh the "constructive" nuances, ..dictates if the acceleration - if the system will increase or decrease its 'systemic weight' in the circulation as it nears in time.  That's the gist of why these models have a theoretical skill limite - because all the math and electrons are just timber of gods voice - not that asshole's motivation.  

and also... what we learn in as undergrads that there really is no way to actually forecast chaos - lol

It'll be an interesting route to the top temperatures around the area  - see who ends up where.

I looked around at post-guidance ...seems the upper level clouds ( judging by the sat presentation and loop ) are more the ceiling issue ...not mid level - not that it matters..just what I'm observing. 

That said, the > 500 mb RH handling was not particularly good in the guidance - some had it ..but didn't in all cycles ... so it's dubious.  But here were are -

Where we are is not horrible for heating.  It's taxing the ability, no doubt!  But the day-glow lamp sky does heat some.  It may thin a little as the sounding gets warped by the sun heating cloud particles/physics over those ceiling levels... and that'll help.    The wick is very primed though...doesn't take a lot of radiation input to set the temp rising.  We are 80 here averaging home stations within a Ayer, and KFIT Meso west/UA is 79 ...(edit: actually 81 now) 

It will be tediously nerdy to see if the index finger rule of "ten after ten" can apply under a milk sky but fun for us tedious nerds haha. 

43 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mm... at 168 - 216 hours out in time,  'big changes' is a relative phrase, I suppose -

Short version: Personally, there is no way I can trust the models are capable of handling those delicate features and their evolution, through that deep period of time - .

Longer version/angry rant:  It can happen.  But first off, in a more operations sense ...about 3/4 of the GEFs 00z individual members do not support that operational GFS's pessimism with the same dogged determination as though NCEP ( as usual by the way...) is seemingly actually parameterizing its model to rasp heights toward cold February beyond 3 days always regardless of Celestial mechanics.

- tfwiw...

Imho, it wouldn't take "big changes" because the features being toted along by the Euro/GGEM blend ( with the GFS along for the ride as circus clown..) are very fragile from what I'm seeing.  They carry just a single closed contoured feature through a nebular gradient, and use said weak entity to impact all this wet havoc along the I-95 to corridor from roughly Jersey to Maine...   Heh - I'm not sure I buy that.

It just looks disproportionately violently forcing for such a weak impulse.  But also the bigger coup de gras for me is that ... normal vicissitudes of chaos vs model skill?  in order for the runs to maintain fragile structures out in time, requires that their skill at predicting/emerging nuance proportionally drop down to a discrete level where they are just not capable of performing. I mean, in this case ..that 570 dm single closed contour sneaking along at this range is like tethering a butterfly at the end of a thousand mile quantum thread. It's likely to have a bit of an uncertainty trajectory at the end of that string. 

That's why big huge historic events of any kind show up in models early, is because their physical presence in the atmosphere are that dominating; so that they can absorb chaotic influences emerging along a normal constructive and destructive sea of influences.  

It's getting philosophical and unlikely to be read do to word count meets with the shimmering virtuosity of Twit-western Civility ... but, I've often thought that every event that emerges in the deeper time ranges of these guidance ...all have an acceleration potential.  But predicting the "destructive" nuances, culminating over time, and whether they will out-weigh the "constructive" nuances, ..dictates if the acceleration - if the system will increase or decrease its 'systemic weight' in the circulation as it nears in time.  That's the gist of why these models have a theoretical skill limite - because all the math and electrons are just timber of gods voice - not that asshole's motivation.  

and also... what we learn in as undergrads that there really is no way to actually forecast chaos - lol

It looks like 70’s and sun Saturday. Partly /mostly cloudy Sunday with maybe a shower with warm Front passage and a severe risk Monday in warm sector. Not sure where the cloudy cold rainy look was derived unless he was using op GFS.The Ens don’t look like that.  The other thing that could happen is the high is so strong it suppresses everything SW and we end up three nice days 

• Confused 1

Opening up to disrespect and 'blaming the messenger' as though he/she is merely making it up ...but every home station within 5 miles of Ayer is 89 to 91 and KFIT is reporting 90 as a high...

So, shaving the max at these home stations for standard 'rube calibration'  puts the day's high in contention of making 90.

By the way, we've been > 80% insolation here for 3 hours now despite the polish on the hi res vis imagery ...although a bit of denser band is coming over now..

Also... season's last snow finally upon us:

image.thumb.png.2ea40642252476575df225bbdb48920e.png

50 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Opening up to disrespect and 'blaming the messenger' as though he/she is merely making it up ...but every home station within 5 miles of Ayer is 89 to 91 and KFIT is reporting 90 as a high...

So, shaving the max at these home stations for standard 'rube calibration'  puts the day's high in contention of making 90.

By the way, we've been > 80% insolation here for 3 hours now despite the polish on the hi res vis imagery ...although a bit of denser band is coming over now..

Also... season's last snow finally upon us:

image.thumb.png.2ea40642252476575df225bbdb48920e.png

Sometimes those thin mid/upper level decks make it worse. Plenty of shortwave rad makes in through, but the longwave IR gets redirected back down to us. 

• Like 1