Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2021 Discussion

weatherwiz

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It wouldn’t be the first time.  Last year’s highest was also that ridiculous May heatwave where even like SLK was 93F or 95F.  BTV and CAR hit like 95-97?

Much nicer up here but still mid-summer heat.  Feels 80F even at over 3,000ft.

187984345_10104541714818960_522031121872

86.9° for the high on my PWS.  That’s also the high for the year. Looks pleasant there. I was out in the williwacks of Groton State Forest trying to lay out a new snowmobile trail. I’m lucky to be alive after the ferocious black fly swarming I suffered. 

6FFF0AF7-B2C4-4777-A121-6DE0DBD4E775.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It wouldn’t be the first time.  Last year’s highest was also that ridiculous May heatwave where even like SLK was 93F or 95F.  BTV and CAR hit like 95-97?

Much nicer up here but still mid-summer heat.  Feels 80F even at over 3,000ft.

187984345_10104541714818960_522031121872

CAR reached 91 last May and the next day's 90/69 tied 5/23/77 for mildest minima.  The earlier date had 95/69 while the day before tied 6/28/44 for CAR's top temp ever at 96.  Tied it again last June 19 in a 95/96/93 heat wave.

14 minutes ago, tamarack said:

CAR reached 91 last May and the next day's 90/69 tied 5/23/77 for mildest minima.  The earlier date had 95/69 while the day before tied 6/28/44 for CAR's top temp ever at 96.  Tied it again last June 19 in a 95/96/93 heat wave.

Ahh right I’m mistaking those two heat waves... the May and June ones.  I think it was the June one BTV hit 97F.  That was a crazy stretch in May and June last year.

Truly amazing how dry it’s gotten. After two nice rainers in the first 10 days of the month we’ve all gone to nothing . Now with trees soaking up all the ground moisture from water table , lawns are like desert floors. I decided I’d seed a few trouble areas in the lawn this evening since it’s been bothering me . I dug up some nice rich soil near the woods that was an old compost pile from previous owners. I dug down at least 8-10 inches and it’s just dry dust with no moisture content . Watering newly planted flowers and seeds everyday in May just seems awfully early . And modeling offering little to no hope thru day 10. Sell those showers Mem Day weekend you’d think with the HP up over the Maritimes . Suppressed over mid atl 

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

86.9° for the high on my PWS.  That’s also the high for the year. Looks pleasant there. I was out in the williwacks of Groton State Forest trying to lay out a new snowmobile trail. I’m lucky to be alive after the ferocious black fly swarming I suffered. 

Yeah I finally noticed the bugs exploding in population on the mountain now.  This heat made them come to life in a big way.

Truly amazing how dry it’s gotten. After two nice rainers in the first 10 days of the month we’ve all gone to nothing . Now with trees soaking up all the ground moisture from water table , lawns are like desert floors. I decided I’d seed a few trouble areas in the lawn this evening since it’s been bothering me . I dug up some nice rich soil near the woods that was an old compost pile from previous owners. I dug down at least 8-10 inches and it’s just dry dust with no moisture content . Watering newly planted flowers and seeds everyday in May just seems awfully early . And modeling offering little to no hope thru day 10. Sell those showers Mem Day weekend you’d think with the HP up over the Maritimes . Suppressed over mid atl 

Glad we don’t live there

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Is this before or after the heatwave?

Special times. 

Wednesday and Thursday...

Some uncertainty out in this timeframe with respect to troughs
timing and amplitude for mid to late in the week. This will bring
the next shot of rainfall to southern New England as a front moves
through. Right now it appears that the timing will be late on
Wednesday into Thursday. Vastly different output from the
deterministic guidance with much wetter GFS solution and drier
ECMWF/GEM solution. Have leaned on the NBM given the differences,
which keeps chances of precipitation. Am fairly confidence in the
warmth on Wednesday given good model agreement in thermal fields.
High temperatures in the 80s to low 90s. Cools down on Thursday as
the NBM has the front pass through. Highs in the 70s to low 80s.

&&

Kind of bummed, MVL and MPV only hit 89F officially.  It deserved 90F... the 5-minute data showed 90F but the rounding in the temperature conversion from C to F causes some false obs?  I know Dendy has explained it so many times.

Anyway, looks like the official 00z highs are:

LEB... 92F

BML... 91F

BTV... 90F

IZG... 89F

MVL... 89F

MPV... 89F

FIT... 88F

MHT... 88F

RUT... 87F

HIE... 87F

CON... 87F

DDH... 86F

BDL... 84F

ORH... 82F

BOS... 82F

HFD... 81F

IJD... 81F

LEW... 77F

PWM... 69F

• Like 2

We’re 9 miles east of Fit along rt 2. 88 was the high yeah. Not 90 but hot enough... summer in like a wall

ran around in a sweat ball swearin at missing screws and misplaced last years insolation strips but the AC’s are in and rumblin

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Kind of bummed, MVL and MPV only hit 89F officially.  It deserved 90F... the 5-minute data showed 90F but the rounding in the temperature conversion from C to F causes some false obs?  I know Dendy has explained it so many times.

LEB... 92F

BML... 91F

BTV... 90F

IZG... 89F

MVL... 89F

MPV... 89F

FIT... 88F

MHT... 88F

RUT... 87F

HIE... 87F

CON... 87F

DDH... 86F

BDL... 84F

ORH... 82F

BOS... 82F

HFD... 81F

IJD... 81F

LEW... 77F

PWM... 69F

Yeah the obs were technically only 32C which can be either 89F or 90F when converted.

90F at 1P1 today too. Pretty good for them.

• Like 1

A very warm weekend is in store for much of the region at least away
from the immediate south coast. While most of the weekend will be
dry; a few brief showers/thunderstorms are possible during the
afternoon and evening hours. A few strong to severe storms are
possible Sunday afternoon into the evening with potentially a brief
significant impact for mariners. More seasonable temperatures to
start next week, but the warmth returns by mid week. Next shot of
showers is late on Wednesday into Thursday.

A little something for everyone.

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

LEB... 92F

BML... 91F

BTV... 90F

IZG... 89F

MVL... 89F

MPV... 89F

FIT... 88F

MHT... 88F

RUT... 87F

HIE... 87F

CON... 87F

DDH... 86F

BDL... 84F

ORH... 82F

BOS... 82F

HFD... 81F

IJD... 81F

LEW... 77F

PWM... 69F

Meanwhile GON was even cooler than PWM.  63 for a high yesterday.  66 the day before.  High was only 76 IMBY.