• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    sereinwriter
    Newest Member
    sereinwriter

Feb 18/19 Disco/Obs

4 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Things getting rough on the highways here.  Multi-vehicle accident caused by icy roads at the I-81 bridge including three tractor-trailers has closed the northbound lanes.  Multiple other accidents up and down the WV stretch of 81 also.  Then there are difficulties like these on secondary roads:

Hampshire Co 42 Fire, 1 / Multiple vehicles stuck / Cumberland Road at Harriotts Hill. 
Mineral Captain 37 on scene requesting FD to shut the roadway down advising multiple vehicles stuck. DOH is on location

Part of DC Beltway also closed due to accidents 

1 minute ago, SoCoSailer said:

3k Nam a little more aggressive getting precip back into the cities overnight and into the morning 

My impression is "overnight snow flurries" ending a couple of hours after sunrise with the icy coating from

light freezing drizzle.  No real snow accumulation but some frosty rime.

Precip transitioning to snow grains now.  Looks like at least a frosting coming for the glaze of ice.  High today was 26.9, low was 22.4.  Beautiful winter day all around.

• Like 1

My 38lb dog just scampered across the sleet covered grass without leaving a single paw print. We're officially encased. 27/27 La Plata

• Like 10

1 minute ago, diatae said:

My 38lb dog just scampered across the sleet covered grass without leaving a single paw print. We're officially encased. 27/27 La Plata

Interesting, that a heavy dog can function as a weather observation instrument.   Who knew?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just went out for a quick jebslide and the freezing mist has certainly made itself known. Interestingly though, where they salted roads in the neighborhood, conditions aren't too bad. Still icy, but with lots of little bits of exposed pavement. 

PSX_20210218_214900.jpg

PSX_20210218_214925.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Any chance you might know of a similar resource for VA? I love cruising around topo maps, and even though you're MD based, I figure there's still no one better here to ask about maps. 

Sure! This is from USGS, national viewer. 
https://apps.nationalmap.gov/viewer/

The legend drop down gives you lots of options.

• Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Latest (01z) HRRR is much less aggressive than prior runs with getting meaningful precip into the DC metro. Nonetheless, I'd expect the freezing drizzle stuff to continue. 

Not happening.  If we had a good H5 vortex passage it would work, but we don't, so the only decent vertical motion will be with convection offshore.

34 minutes ago, diatae said:

I wonder if LWX would accept that as an official observation?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not happening.  If we had a good H5 vortex passage it would work, but we don't, so the only decent vertical motion will be with convection offshore.
What a disasterous storm

Just now, fourseasons said:

I wonder if LWX would accept that as an official observation?

My dog would be so excited.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Amped said:

This is the type of stuff I wish I understood about weather, but don't.

0z NAM showed the possibility of a sliver of precip making it up here by morning, but I'm not counting on it. 

Slush in the morning. Some slippery roads, but fortunately not as many power outages as last time here in the RIC metro. Did make for this interesting pattern on the road, though:

image.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, schinz said:

I am on the SE side of Westminster bear Deer Park and Rt. 32...I am about 850 feet....what is your elevation and can you show some type of a map representation of where that height of the ridge is?  Thanks

Sure.
goDUvp1.jpg

So everything inside the purple line is Parrs Ridge region and generally above 600 feet and does well compared to all around. But the 3 ridges in the zone I circled in blue are around 1000-1100 feet and is a maximum even within the larger maximum. Always gets a little more snow and holds the snow longer. There is often a pretty drastic difference between here and Westminster.  Note the little blue dot on the avg snowfall map right about that spot. 
szdDfpP.png

28F here just NW of Vienna - up a degree in the last hour.  Still a steady freezing drizzle.  Just came in from checking Lawyers Road in front of our house.  It's an ice skating rink with interlaced wet spots.  Even with all the salt they dumped today, walking on the treated asphalt is a delicate endeavor.  Difficult to differentiate the wet spots from the black ice.  Tomorrow morning is not going to be fun around here for those who can't WFH. 

I'm getting some light freezing drizzle in Germantown. Not much on radar though. I hope all of you have shoveled already - this stuff has settled and is now basically packed ice that cannot be shoveled. The plows created these ice mountains in front of cars - I feel so bad for them tomorrow lol...

wTXahEe.jpg

• Like 1