• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/31 - 2/2 Obs. / Nowcast

TheSnowman

I  posted in Storm Discussion thread as well.

So the colder models verified by my measure but the snow graphics on those colder models were over-aggressive in the areas where the 925mb temps were near 0C.  We stayed snow well past 00z, which is when I noticed the warmer models change SE MA over to rain.  We were snow up until 04z.  A white rain storm that was heavily dependent upon uber rates to overcome that "wamth", which we managed to do for a couple spurts.

• Thanks 1

Driveway was plowed at 10pm...looks like we had quite a bit of additional snow and drifting overnight.  Good news is that main road is now down to pavement.  3' drifts along the 4' chain link fence.  Wish I could get a photo of the fence drifts, but it's in the neighbors yard and it would be a bit creepy to do that.

IMG_1275.jpg.62a49fcafa9194e0ab3674b8b09b9587.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Radar looks great for here. Bands rotating in from the east slamming into the east slopes. 

Good to hear that the mountains are getting it. This one's officially a bust here; looks like we were perfectly placed between the SNE goodies and the stuff that's hitting central/northern ME today. We got maybe 3 hours of decent rates. Eyeballing 5-6"?? It's hard to tell with the wind blowing it around, but it doesn't look like there's been much additional accumulation since I went to bed at around 1:00. Just a fine misty snow swirling around now.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

What is the total?

Had an additional 1.5 overnight for 17. New depth is more like 14.5-15 (total depth 18ish)....that paste at the end plus several tenths of very dense snizzle on top is definitely helping compact things. This pack is ridiculous now. 

• Like 1

I haven’t been outside yet, but judging but judging by what is up against the garage door, somewhere between 16 and 20. There’s places in my yard it’s higher. I have a stone wall that’s 24” tall and it’s buried. But that seems to just be a long drift. Tried uploading photos but they were too large. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelius said:

Only about 8" here in Barre, MA.  Poor snow growth for a while at the beginning in addition to being caught in the edge of some of that subby stuff kept us on the lower end relative to those around us.  The winds last night though!  Glad we had no power issues. 

Wow!  I had over double that.   And yes, the winds were amazing

Phew ... good night's sleep last did little to elixir 'event fatigue' - ...

... don't know about y'all but I'm ready to sign off on this and let it etch it's legacy upon tomb stone of weather history.  

14" is a slight positive bust, but interestingly ... now-cast efforts lent to an "intra -storm now-cast negative bust"

When I tuned off for the night ... we were ahead of schedule on accumulation rates, and the appeal out of doors was striking - really. I had objectively observable blizzard conditions raging at my location, with only soupcon of weakening tendency in the overall radar coverage at the time .. ~ 11:30 pm...  At that time, I had just topped a foot of accumulation.  While there may be some argument over model interpretation this and that, from x or a source...about an additional .5 or even .7" liq equiv from 1am to 7am was expected..  So totals in the range of 16-20" seemed increasingly likely by a combination of now-cast and recent updater model types...etc..etc.. 

Wrong ...

C/o NCAR's radar history ...it appears to have just blanked off almost abruptly after that faithful hour last night ... I doubt very many saw that specificity taking place ...Or perhaps they'll claim they did - but that's them venting by impugning others ( another fun petty emotion-fueled head-bag that goes on in here when a taint of bitterness gets into the final tea taste of some event being vested in...)  Excluding that form of persecution, this thing literally just evaporated on radar within about 2 hours of crashing last night, and when that happens - in my experience - the snow rates actually dwindle prior to the radar completely drying out, too... I am willing to bet this was down to S- with blowing S ... save for isolated/SE where some CF enhancing (I'm guessing ...) fuzzed the rad for some fake stuff...  pretty ubiquitously going by that radar animation of the overnight.   Synoptically, this thing's light switched just up and turned off on us rather abruptly.

Nevertheless, I haven't actually formally gone out and begun to exhume myself from the 4' berm the plow operators attempted to inter us with overnight - at which point I'll make it official ...

So, I guess my town must have a new guy on the job.   Mother f'er!   Every resident on my street lives on the same side.. In the 10 years I have lived here, we have cycled through this dog-and-pony show three separate times. It should be obvious ... it should.  Look, no one wants that/those type of town gigs... so, the ones that end up there ( sorry liberals .. stereotypes are only wrong because they are true, and you just hate facing the truth - that's code for F U!  ) prove time and time again to lack circumspect based up situational awareness based upon what IS F'ING OBVIOUS!  Now,  someone's going to have to wade through and flag the guy, cup of coffee in hand, ...and kiss his ass.  With strategic, appreciative platitudes the exchange hopefully gets to the goal of ... 'Oh, yeah ...sure,'  Next storm, the berm is on the opposite side of the street.  DUH

• Haha 1