Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/31 - 2/2 Obs. / Nowcast

TheSnowman

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I don't love this new plug and play snow map, there are massive gaps and disparities. 

It's a very lazy way of putting it together, especially since they don't account for the timing of the observations. They'll have 4pm reports and count them as final totals if there aren't newer numbers, and we all know that's absurd and inaccurate to the extreme.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

280AB53D-0FEC-472C-ABD6-15E57AE5BCFF.thumb.png.229e1b8a8b62ab59e0715a6d27806878.png

Nice map.....confirms my totals here in West Hartford of about 16".......in that little dot where 84 and 91 intersect......great storm.....its always lol the final outcome compared to some of the calls.......somebody had a 4-8 stripe of suck for me......that was never going to verify....lol

1 hour ago, Henry's Weather said:

Takeaway for the coast: either the 900 mb level or the ground level was too warm to accumulate, but I don't know which. Probably both. 

Longitude.   I don’t think it’s proximity to the coast as much as proximity t the warmer lowers and mids.  I measured 9 inches but 5 miles west got 14+.  Conversely 5 mikes East...indeed 3 miles east got slop.  This is wet snow...snow blew twice and the shoveling just now of the 2 inches since 11:30 pm was backbreaking.   NAM did well.   Forget snow maps..they aren’t produced by the model.  However their progs for bl were pretty good.   

• Like 1

The guy who took the picture in Mendham, NJ with 30”, is a Compact total!  Not 6 hours and add.  And that was 8 Hours ago at 7:40pm!  It’s been snowing since!  

I can’t believe so many of you got 15” in December AND now.  I live for 15” storms.  Haven’t had one since March 2019!!  And haven’t seen a 20” since the Blizzard of 2015 in January!!  Because I Missed the EPIC Bombs of March 2017 and March 2018; on Fact, the only Bombs (A Quick 12”+ storm with high rates) that were 20”+ totals here in my lifetime, were January 2011, and Those 2.  

I MISSED ALL 3!!!!  :unsure::weep::underthewx:

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

The guy who took the picture in Mendham, NJ with 30”, is a Compact total!  Not 6 hours.  And that was 8 Hours ago at 7:40pm!  It’s been snowing since!  

I’m 25 minute drive NNE from there in Dover. I don’t measure so just going off official obs. At 7pm a place 15 mins southwest of me had 25.8. I’m guessing we finish 28-32” here. It’s been snowing lightly all night. This region jackpotted because of a nearly stationary band between like 2pm-6pm 

This one was a winner!  My 15" stick is under the snow but drifting all over so its someplace around that or more after compacting?  Who cares its a snowpocalypse outside right now!

Got a Kubota with a 50" snowblower a few years back I can't wait to hop on later this morning to throw some powder.

I’m at the border of northern and southern Worcester county, and it must have pounded snow here overnight.  At 10pm my front walk was shoveled, and the path isn’t there at all now.  Really hard to measure with the drifting—but the 5’ tall snowdrift along my stockade fence usually only happens if there’s close to 20”.  The screens on the eastern and southern side windows are pasted with snow.

I live on a generally well maintained, major artery—while it’s plowed it still has a pretty heavy snowpack.  Great nor’easter for central MA—sorry so many busted out.  

(Former lurker at Weather Underground...great to find an active local wx board!)

• Like 2