Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

1 minute ago, VelociChicken said:

5" total to this point with some decent snow coming down 27.3/27 just south of point of rocks.

Has anybody seen little string or sticklike snowflakes like this before?

They're called "needles" - here's a great resource for snowflake types: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/class/class-old.htm#:~:text=This system defines the seven,%2C ice pellets%2C and hail.

• Thanks 1

Lightly snowing, 27 degrees.  Expecting little accumulation (maybe an inch) today, but snow tv is awesome after yesterday.  

Around 7.5 to 8 inches total so far with a little compaction. 

Not the big, big dog, but this has been an awesome storm!  

Hoping everybody’s yard up north is a jack zone from the coastal.

Here is me and the old lady on our 4 wheeler ride.  NW of Staunton.

3251A513-2890-4BCD-8757-40C7B0058E94.jpeg

• Like 13

Man... so, so close. Great banding being shot up the 95 corridor in NJ. Best Dynamics are JUST too far NE to swing precip back into our area. Still think my area over to PSU and points north have a shot at 4-6” today  

My parents in New York proper have already surpassed my 6”, have 7.5” since 11 last night, and are heading for 2 feet by tomorrow morning, no doubt. So jealous. 

3CB1ECD6-A913-47FD-8AC9-228381E1B27C.jpeg

8 minutes ago, VelociChicken said:

5" total to this point with some decent snow coming down 27.3/27 just south of point of rocks.

Has anybody seen little string or sticklike snowflakes like this before?

Yes, we had them yesterday.  They are called needles.  A quick Google search and there are tons about all the different types of snow.  Did that with my 9 yr old yesterday.

eta: Ninja’d by wxtrix!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Man... so, so close. Great banding being shot up the 95 corridor in NJ. Best Dynamics are JUST too far NE to swing precip back into our area. Still think my area over to PSU and points north have a shot at 4-6” today  

My parents in New York proper have already surpassed my 6”, have 7.5” since 11 last night, and are heading for 2 feet by tomorrow morning, no doubt. So jealous. 

3CB1ECD6-A913-47FD-8AC9-228381E1B27C.jpeg

Juuust missed...Don't torture us dude, lol Trying to just enjoy what we have...(and resist the temptation to look ahead)

• Like 1

First shovel of today done. 8.1 total for the event. A little over 7 on the ground after compaction. Some respectable 2 foot driveway walls. That is always my bar. :) Give me 2 foot walls on the driveway and 4 foot mounds at the bottom so they can stick around for a few weeks. 

Light snow 26 degrees.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

• Like 14

1 minute ago, lpaschall said:

Wish I would get some in Westminster, should be close.

I’d say it’s a 80/20 snow/slop mix that is mainly snow under heavier returns. Haven’t had pure snow all morning. My son at mount Saint Mary’s said they’d flipped back entirely to snow. 

• Like 2

Sleetfest in Germantown, pretty significant amounts. 

So look... the snow totals in this storm, for me at least, suck. Like, I was excited for the Euro models, but then I was like "at least I'll be happy if I break double digits", then the CWG/LWX forecasts came out, and I revised to "at least I'll be happy if I break 6"". Now I'm still sitting at 2" which is under even the "bust" range for CWG.

BUT. One thing I do like about this event is the non-stop winter precip for 2-3 days in a row. It keeps the winter storm feeling going for a long time. That's nice. It looks like a beautiful mess outside :)

• Like 5

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic