Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes...the storms that go almost due north along 71W or so can hammer most of NE...or like a track NNE over the benchmark and into Bay of Fundy like dryslot said.

Bleccch!  That's a snow to deluge track for Kittery to Fort Kent.  Though I like the 2nd choice.
I can recall only one event that tagged CHI, NYC and CAR with big snows, April 1982.  None of NYC's top 10 snows did all that much in Maine.

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I always assumed some of the real electric brain types here "cheated" a little with a detailed snow diary they could reference when thinking back about a storm, but even that is a very impressive thing to maintain over the years. 

But some of you I think just have this stuff seared into long-term storage.

Like how to cook a great steak on the grill, its seared. Will has a photographic mind, for real, but yeah 

• Like 1

The ICON slowing that 72 hour position down by 300 or 400 km in the longitudinal axis out there careening down the Front Range region of the west, might be a good thing for winter storm enthusiasts ... I mean, there's a direct homage to the aforementioned sensitivity issue in this guidance - these ever so presumptively innocuous variances, run to run, are making for the difference between 12" thunder storm snows like the 18z run yesterday ...versus a gentle light to moderate Currier&Ives CCB 06z over night... Now, we have just slight timing difference allowing that intermediate stream wave in the MV to remain more cohesive and boom, back to a robuster short duration major impactor -

Certainly is an exciting 12z solution ...and I have been watching the ICON's systemic handling this winter ( once and for all ..) to give it a chance ( so to speak ) and have noted that among some other frustrations ... it tends to too much warmth in the boundary layer - sample size is short ...so bear with that...  The antecedent air mass benefits from a fast flow in that the cold reload post Friday's system prooobably does not have time to modify substantively and any 8th ICONic fantasy ...however borne of truth shall it become... would need to be a colder solution modulation ( most likely ) anywhere NW of the low track.

I have seen the ICON look consistent and blow it passing the baton through the temporal seam of the mid range into nearer terms in this trial so... Please, just bring back the Euro solutions yesterday, that were mid way between the unlikely history bombs, and the 00z GFS zealous cremation shit ... and then we'll have the seeds of consensus ...

53 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I feel we want just a little more wave spacing so heights can respond ahead of next week.  GFS looks better early on.

I just commented on that ... agreed.  It seems this ICON fosters these robuster solutions whenever it opens up even a little in the timing of the Pac S/W ( 72 hours for example )

2/9 seems like a much better threat for something...it will have a lot more room, but that also means potential for messier solutions as well. Both GGEM/GFS show precip in here. The antecedent airmass is pretty cold though so at leas that provides a little more wiggle room.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

2/9 seems like a much better threat for something...it will have a lot more room, but that also means potential for messier solutions as well. Both GGEM/GFS show precip in here. The antecedent airmass is pretty cold though so at leas that provides a little more wiggle room.

Big changes on 12z GFS CMC next week, probably wrong, the vortex pushes into Montana instead of Minnesota and trough axis is further west, doesn't get as cold as run the risk verbatim of a cutter. 

2 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Big changes on 12z GFS CMC next week, probably wrong, the vortex pushes into Montana instead of Minnesota and trough axis is further west, doesn't get as cold as run the risk verbatim of a cutter. 

I think it would be hard to get a true cutter...there is a pretty stout Davis Strait/Baffin Island block. Can still happen if everything lines up perfectly but I'd def hedge colder. Even if it's icy/sleety overrunning mess.