• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BobbyB
    Newest Member
    BobbyB

Jan 25th Wintry Mix Obs and Nowcasting

57 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Not that I think Deep Creek will see 1.5” of ice accretion but even half of that is a huge deal.  Geez.

Sure is.  I was in southern MD in 1994 for 2-plus inches of ice accretion -- you do NOT want to see it.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

In 15 years of living in the city I can't recall ever seeing ice accretion due to freezing rain.. I look forward to this event! 

We have had ice events. I've even seen non-salted downtown DC sidewalks covered in ice at times,  including one storm a few years ago that started in the evening and persisted into the next afternoon.  What i have never seen, and which the media almost always over hypes beforehand, is an ice event that actually results in ice-covered streets, except for perhaps some side streets in far Upper Northwest DC

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

GGEM still with a snowier start for DC and points north.  

I like the Canadian better because it doesn’t have all that ice. I’ll admit it, I’m afraid of ice. We got just a half inch in Winchester a few years ago and it caused a good bit of damage. An inch would be catastrophic.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, real said:

We have had ice events. I've even seen non-salted downtown DC sidewalks covered in ice at times,  including one storm a few years ago that started in the evening and persisted into the next afternoon.  What i have never seen, and which the media almost always over hypes beforehand, is an ice event that actually results in ice-covered streets, except for perhaps some side streets in far Upper Northwest DC

DC isn’t the real world

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

95% of the population lives near I-95. There hasn't been a real ice storm in that zone since 1994.

You are basically in a totally different climate zone from these people. 

Yeah, I have been inside or near the DC beltway since 2010 and we have not had any legit ice events. Plenty of glazed trees, glazed sidewalks, etc; but never significant ice accretion beyond 0.1"

This one I'm expecting more of the same. Grass/colder spots get some snow, then an icy crust. The rain washes everything away on the roads/warmer surfaces.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

95% of the population lives near I-95. There hasn't been a real ice storm in that zone since 1994.

I realize that but you can go 30 miles west of 95 and an ice storm can be a very big deal. I agree that they don’t happen often. I wish they never happened

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We had a terrible one in Jan 99’. At least 1/2 inch of ice.

5 minutes ago, chris21 said:

We had a terrible one in Jan 99’. At least 1/2 inch of ice.

I don't remember that one, but 22 years ago, so meh.

I don't think it is even possible for DCA and BWI to get a major ice storm these days outside of some kind of crazy anomalous setup not seen in decades. Like sustained --20s and 30s up at my house in Randolph filtering towards down here.

This year is far from it.

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

V- day? Mostly sleet.

I think we are talking about the thick glaze on all surfaces stuff. Where it rains at 17 degrees.

Its been the mid 90s since that happened for the lowlands. 2 events in the same winter but I forget the exact year. One had a bunch of sleet and freezing rain. It was a disaster even over here.

FWIW during last October's ice storm in Oklahoma City, the temperature never got below 27, and that was a pretty massive storm (I think almost an inch of accretion?). Not saying that will happen here, but the temperatures don't need to be quite as low as some posters have suggested. 

Anyway, not a new poster (been lurking for years) but figured if I could add some Southern Plains ice knowledge, why not make that my first post!

• Like 6

Let’s hope the freezing rain doesn’t materialize. Does absolutely nothing for snow lovers and just creates dangerous conditions. Rather have rain. 

13 minutes ago, WinterFire said:

FWIW during last October's ice storm in Oklahoma City, the temperature never got below 27, and that was a pretty massive storm (I think almost an inch of accretion?). Not saying that will happen here, but the temperatures don't need to be quite as low as some posters have suggested. 

Anyway, not a new poster (been lurking for years) but figured if I could add some Southern Plains ice knowledge, why not make that my first post!

27 is good.  31-32 not so much in my experience.  Unless you are coming off a very cold period and it’s at night.  We shall see what happens.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

All hail The King!

Pivotal snow map literally bullseyes my yard. Lock that sh-t UP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Nice front end thump on the Euro for those of us north of the DC Beltway, but there is a very sharp cutoff on the precip for the northeastern part of this forum.

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

All hail The King!

It misses me to the south kinda with that little snow band....then to the north with the second wave after I flip to ice. So...depending on what happens in the next 10 mins this could be an epic dumpster fire run for me lol. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

It misses me to the south kinda with that little snow band....then to the north with the second wave after I flip to ice. So...depending on what happens in the next 10 mins this could be an epic dumpster fire run for me lol. 

We fully expect you to go all-Ji on us.

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Snow chase to my yard?

• Haha 1